Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Completed aftermarket Navi install

I started this project about a month ago, I did not work on this everyday and I actually had a few weeks in between. Overall I spent about a total of a weekends worth of removal and install time, and about another weekends worth of time trouble shooting. In the end I am very happy with end result, it may not be 100% perfect but it is still in the A+ category for me!

What I had:

OEM Porsche PCM System - Navi, CD Changer and Bose Speaker & Amp. I also had installed a iPod adapter that took the CD changers place, I was able to control iPod via PCM

What I installed:

Kenwood DNX 9960 , Sirius Sat Radio, HD Radio, Monitor in motion bypass, rear center console DVD/Monitor, NAV-TV MOST-HUR controller, Face Plate from the UK

The Kenwood has built in BT for hands free phone and BT audio streaming, iPod audio/video, DVD and Garmin Navigation. It also can have Siruis, XM or HD radio tuners. I bought the Sirius and the HD and found out later that I had to choose because they dont have a switch yet. I chose Sirius SAT.

Installing the GPS and SAT antennas was quite easy, espeically the SAT antenna due to how thin it was and how much cable length. It would have been a straight forward install if it was not for the NAV-TV MOSTHUR. We could not get the first one to work, after too many calls to customer service I was about to give up. It would just not produce sound, I thought it was not turning the amp on. So they sent me another unit and it worked great. We just thought I had a defective unit. It was not until I was adjusting the settings via laptop that I realized the real issue. When you get the MOST-HUR you have to program it for Alpine or Kenwood (if you want to retain steering controls) you can also adjust power out put to amp. Thier range is from 70-210, it comes set at 78. When I had the first one I programmed and did all the pre-wiring in my office. I had preset the audio to 140 and figured I would increase from there. When i had my replacement unit I just connected it to see if it would even work. Then I went to adjust because the vol set at max was really at 75% or less old vol. When I adjusted to 140 no sound, 120 same, so I did 100 and about blew the speakers. I have it now adjsuted to 86 and I am happy with it. They need to mod thier instructions and lower thier range for Cayennes to 70-100.

The voice control and hands free phone is such a treat, so is the navigation. I can actually look up points of interest via detailed category. The best part is the touch screen and being able to use the steering controls. Especially the scan buttons. You can set the Kenwood to scan either by #, station or programed pre-sets which is what I did. So you can just toggle between your 6 pre-sets instead of scanning through all the stations. I installed the video in motion bypass for the fun of it, my wife likes watching comedy concerts on long trips. I was also able to match the boot screen to the original PCM boot screen and add a Porsche background to menu. I also found a Cayenne Turbo icon for the Navi, changed the color from tan to grey to match my Cayenne.

The center console is a 8" monitior with built-in DVD and FM modulator. It has IR for head phones and built in speakers. It also has USB and SD ports, as well as Video in and out. It can be folded out of the way and rotated all around.

I think this was well worth the cost, I was able to keep my Bose system and steering controls. The total cost was less than trying to upgrade to a PCM DVD or the new touch screen PCM plus I still don't think it would compare to my current set up.

If anyone needs help with their install just let me know. I feel like a engineer after dealing with the wiring trouble shooting etc. I have included some pics:

Before

post-45807-095646500 1280457496_thumb.jp

After

post-45807-066540600 1280457530_thumb.jp

Porsche background

post-45807-025986400 1280457585_thumb.jp

Kenwood Pics

post-45807-078146200 1280457622_thumb.jppost-45807-028538800 1280457632_thumb.jppost-45807-020043600 1280457641_thumb.jppost-45807-097050300 1280457651_thumb.jppost-45807-020019100 1280457659_thumb.jppost-45807-011915200 1280457671_thumb.jppost-45807-057013400 1280457679_thumb.jp

No, sorry. I am currently in Arizona. At least for the next 92 days. Then we head to Pensacola Florida. Where in Oregon are you from? If something happened to this Cayenne, I would do it all over again in my next. I can't believe it took me a whole year, I bought it exactly a year ago. If I did have to do it again I could easily do it in half a day or less, if working in right conditions. It litteraly took me 2 mins to remove the wing and maybe 30 mins to fish through hinge and work my way to front. I did the pre-wiring of the MOSTHUR and the Kenwood in my office. The only wires from the car I had to tap into was the HI and LOW CAN, the power and ground. The Fiber optic just plugs in from MOST-HUR.

I didn't mention that the main reason I could only work on this for no more than an hour or so at a time was because of the extreme heat. While it was 110 outside, it would be much more in my garage and especially in the car. The only other accessory that I plan on installing is a reverse camera.

Again I wish I could help with your install, but I can offer you any electronic support.

Thanks for the offer of phone support. I will keep it in mind.

No, sorry. I am currently in Arizona. At least for the next 92 days. Then we head to Pensacola Florida. Where in Oregon are you from? If something happened to this Cayenne, I would do it all over again in my next. I can't believe it took me a whole year, I bought it exactly a year ago. If I did have to do it again I could easily do it in half a day or less, if working in right conditions. It litteraly took me 2 mins to remove the wing and maybe 30 mins to fish through hinge and work my way to front. I did the pre-wiring of the MOSTHUR and the Kenwood in my office. The only wires from the car I had to tap into was the HI and LOW CAN, the power and ground. The Fiber optic just plugs in from MOST-HUR.

I didn't mention that the main reason I could only work on this for no more than an hour or so at a time was because of the extreme heat. While it was 110 outside, it would be much more in my garage and especially in the car. The only other accessory that I plan on installing is a reverse camera.

Again I wish I could help with your install, but I can offer you any electronic support.

This looks like an awesome installation:notworthy: ! I have PCM 2.1 with NAV and XM already in my 06 CTT, but would love to install some modern electronics instead:rolleyes: ... Do you still get navigation prompts on the speed/info display in the center of the dash?

That is the only thing I lost in the transition. I no longer recieve nav or radio prompts on dash, although I believe it is the new HU. I don't think there is an aftermarket head unit that transmits that info. I never used the nav on the dash but I do miss seeing the radio text displayed.

Yes,

Kenwood eXcelon DNX 9960

Nav-TV MOST HUR

Sirius- SCC1 tuner

- CA-SR20V cable

iPod - KCA-iP301V

Cayenne Face Plate CT23PO01

Kenwood Video By-Pass module, off eBay for video/nav control in motion

HD Tuner - KTC-HR300

extension cables to route to in/under glove box

Single Yellow RCA for video - rear view camera

2 RCA sets - for video out/in

Mini USB to USB - to update/modify/hack unit with PC

Kenwood is coming out with KAB switch as they currenlty have now for thier older 5L for expanding units, as of now it is either Sirius, XM or HD tuner

Links:

Kenwood eXcelon DNX 9960

NAV-TV - must call, item not on website

• 2 weeks later...

Great job!

Did you have a rear camera in mind? I have a couple months of warranty left on my Cayenne and as soon as the warranty is up, this is my next project. Do you have any pictures during the install? If you have some time, maybe you can do a little guide for us. :cheers:

TIA!

Yes,

Kenwood eXcelon DNX 9960

Nav-TV MOST HUR

Sirius- SCC1 tuner

- CA-SR20V cable

iPod - KCA-iP301V

Cayenne Face Plate CT23PO01

Kenwood Video By-Pass module, off eBay for video/nav control in motion

HD Tuner - KTC-HR300

extension cables to route to in/under glove box

2 RCA sets - for video out/in

Mini USB to USB - to update/modify/hack unit with PC

Kenwood is coming out with KAB switch as they currenlty have now for thier older 5L for expanding units, as of now it is either Sirius, XM or HD tuner

Links:

Kenwood eXcelon DNX 9960

NAV-TV - must call, item not on website

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi -

I had this same setup installed yesterday.

Can you please answer a couple of questions.

Did you use the existing antenna or an aftermarket one? If aftermarket, where did you install it? They could not get an adapter to work for the existing and want some big bucks to rerun a line to the same spot - rear spoiler.

Where did you find the Porsche background?

Is that a Cayenne icon you have as your car icon on the nav?

I need to read the manual on how to turn the screen to black at night when I do not see want to see anything.

Cheers,

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Question: I just picked up a 2011 cayenne and the audio shops around here are telling me because its a porsche and its fiber optic cables that its gonna need many parts, its gonna cost more, its difficult blah blah blah.

Anyone have any expertise in that area? I really want that kenwood + Nav TV

Also where can I find a face plate for the 2011?

Edited by qualitydaydream

The owner of Nav-TV has a CTT so has a special place in his heart...I think.

They make the unit that works with the fiber and faceplate for mine.

Question: I just picked up a 2011 cayenne and the audio shops around here are telling me because its a porsche and its fiber optic cables that its gonna need many parts, its gonna cost more, its difficult blah blah blah.

Anyone have any expertise in that area? I really want that kenwood + Nav TV

Also where can I find a face plate for the 2011?

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

great project and great pics!

I have a 2008 Cayenne Turbo and I've been spending all saturday now to find out IF and HOW it's possible to change my PCM2.1 with Bose to a nice aftermarket system.

I now realize that the magic word is MOST HUR and that this box will solve all problems with MOST' compatibility problems. Is that correct?

If so, I picture the whole thing as follows: the cables of the PCM have to get connected to the MOST HUR, then cables from the MOST HUR get connected to the new HU. Is that all? It sounds (almost too) so easy!

Last question: how about the buttons on the steeringwheel?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Edited by easygoom

• 4 weeks later...

Would the Kenwood unit work with the OEM backup camera? Also, if I had a MOST-HUR adapter, but wanted to go with a Pioneer AVIC series head unit, I could do so, right? I just would lose the steering wheel controls?

• 2 months later...

I would love to get a copy of the Porsche image you used for the background. I have the same system in my 04 Cayenne.

It is all installed and working wonderfully. How easy is it to connect the steering wheel button to the system?

Thanks, if you get the time to answer.

rj@cruisingservices.net

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is one of the searches that brought me to this forum!!! :thankyou: I recently just bought a 2005 Cayenne S and am missing an Aux IN port. I have called a couple places here in Nashville (as I am scared to ruin something and also want to get full recourse if something goes wrong) and they say that it can be installed for $450 - $550 because of the Porsche being Fiber Optics. I don't have a Navi system mine is just the straight BOSE sound system with a single CD player. Wonder if I could have something like this installed and what it would be. I see a couple after market projects and now wondering what reasonable prices would be?