Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CD Changer

My car previously had a CD changer fitted (checking the option codes, it had a CD radio, CD changer and CD holders). At some point before my ownership the head unit has replaced with a Radio cassette and the CD changer removed.

Looking at the connector under the front hood, the changer connection "looks" identical to a Sony one. I am planning to buy a Sony head unit and changer - is the cable identical to Sony's (I presume it is given other info that the Porsche unit is just a Sony with different softwrae)? If so it'll save me having to pull the wire through.

In the meantime, is there any standard Sony CD changer that I can buy that would work with the Porsche head unit?

Uhm CD changer? I'm just wondering why U would want to purchase one in 2008.

I don't even have any CD's sitting around anymore, I think they are soon to be joining their disappeared ancestors - 8 track,cassette/VHS tape,,,LOL

I think it is very inconvinient to get out of the car to load up a few CD's , especially when each CD only holds up to 18 songs

Since U are going with a new SONY head unit, I would probably consider some sort of DIGITALLY Stored play- back.

a good DVD player can play 1-9.4GB dual layer DVD(+/- 2000 songs) , also if it's equipped with DiVX your DVD can be burned as a data base file.

IPOD interface or SD/USB input is also a good alternative.

My car previously had a CD changer fitted (checking the option codes, it had a CD radio, CD changer and CD holders). At some point before my ownership the head unit has replaced with a Radio cassette and the CD changer removed.

Looking at the connector under the front hood, the changer connection "looks" identical to a Sony one. I am planning to buy a Sony head unit and changer - is the cable identical to Sony's (I presume it is given other info that the Porsche unit is just a Sony with different softwrae)? If so it'll save me having to pull the wire through.

In the meantime, is there any standard Sony CD changer that I can buy that would work with the Porsche head unit?

• Moderators

Well, when I started Boxstering in 1999 about all we had was a CD changer.

The Porsche CDC-3 changer is the same as the Becker 2660 changer. It is a Sony changer with Becker electronics. When I started in 1999 some people were using Sony changers, because it was cheaper than the CDC-3 from Porsche. Once we figured out the Becker unit was not much more than the Sony units, we started to use the Becker 2660, as the Becker cost a fraction of the Porsche unit.

So, the connectors you see look like a Sony for a reason. The changer was made by Sony and branded Porsche or Becker. And that is why when we wanted to buy an extra magazine we bought it as a Sony part, rather than from Porsche or Becker.

You would have to find a Sony unit from around 1996. I think it was CDX-T60 or CDX-T62 and maybe CDX-T65. If I remember correctly there were also 6 or 10 disc units, just like what Becker sold. Porsche only sold the 6 disc unit. With the Sony unit there might also an issue with the GAL feature, or you needed an eprom, or something. I don't remember, as once we started to use the Becker 2660 people were no longer using the Sony. Plus you could not find a new Sony, as Sony changes it's products every few months, and Porsche/Becker every decade.

But then even Becker discontinued the 2660 a few years ago. It was replaced by the Becker 7860, but never sold by Porsche. The 7860 works with the 210 and 220 radio heads, but has a memory issue and is smaller so it is not a direct fit on the factory mounting bracket.

post-4-1202678154_thumb.jpg

I have the original Porsche CD changer in my car and I have never used it . I may part with it if you are interested.

Thanks for the offers and info - since I'm in the UK it's probably not economically viable to import a Porsche changer.

To clarify my choice of Sony. it's to add a DAB interface (just as soon as win one on Ebay....) as I like the digital radio in the UK. Plus when I load CDs they stay into until they've cycled round and then I change them. Yes a harddisk installation would be nice but then I can't have the Sony DAB unit. Can't have everything!

I did like the double DIN installation of a Pioneer unit on here, but even though that's current it doesn't offer DAB :-(

Hi Guys

I have a 996 fitted with Cr-22 and CDC3 Becker CD changer (2660). The Cd changer is faulty and I am looking at getting a replacement. I have been offered a Sony CDX T62 and am being told that it is compatible with the Becker head. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Trevor

For folks with the CDR-23 (MOST Bus) systems, the MP-3 integration is pricey. Some people think that CD's sound better than MP-3's.

I understand what you are saying in regards to cdr23 but for the poster who was talking about a CDR-22 all you have to do is run a $5 RCA jack to headphone jack cable from the cd changer to the dash and plug in your mp3 player, iphone etc. The radio thinks it is getting audio from the changer. It works perfect and total cost is $5. I even occasionally listen to movies and use as a speaker phone this way on the iphone.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Boxster with the CDR32 head unit. It is already wired up for a (CD) changer. I recently purchased a new Sony CDX-T62 on eBay, but could not persuade the CDR32 to recognise it. I know the CDX-T62 is in working order because a Sony head unit will drive it. I had assumed from the website http://www.986faq.com/4-0/default.asp#M692 that the T62 would work, and I also had the opinion of someone from Sony that it should work. But it definitely doesn't. Car radio dealers I've contacted since (and whom I should have contacted beforehand) told me that the software in the CDR32 will not talk to the CDX-T62, and there is no connecting lead which will solve the problem. Basically, Porsche have just been too clever for some of us...

Are there any mp3 solutions that hook up to the MOST bus like a CD changer and are controllable by a stock CDR23? Otherwise, I'll probably just cave and buy an ipod and an FM transmitter. I miss not having a CD-mp3 player in my '04 986 like I did in my last car.

Edited by grover