Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

power connection for iPod FM modulator

I drive an '04 C 4 S Cab, 6-speed, midnight/grey. I am trying to hardwire the power connection for my iPod Monster iCarPlay FM modulator (having resigned myself to the unlikely availability of an AUX-in for MOST fiber-optic factory Becker head units). If I were to power into the cigarette lighter from behind, is there a chance of draining battery power when the ignition is off for an extended period? And what is the recommended installation procedure? Any help would be welcome.

I would put a Tap a Fuse on the fuse panel to a circuit that isn't hot all the time and only hot when key is turned and then run a wire to your ipod device. That way you have a fused wire and you can remove it anytime you want and won't be a warranty issue. It would only take about ten minutes of work because it's just a plug in device.

• Moderators

Pull off the right trim panel that is covered with carpet and you will find the connector. Starting in 2003 Porsche put tape on the end of the connector. We tap into those wires for power. If you want to get fancy you can buy a cell phone connector from Becker that plugs into the existing connector. Loren has posted the color codes for the wires or you can check them with a volt meter.

post-2-1088443655_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Tool Pants, that was easy! I found the connector by sliding the cubby out. After connecting the power, I made an opening in the top of the upper cubby I bought (on Ebay) in place of the CD holder (which I no longer need). The iPod just lies in there, but it's quite easy to change tracks, and I don't have to turn it on or off as it's wired into the ignition. If I feel like spending more time and effort, I'll upgrade to the iPod Mini and build some sort of cradle for it.

bavarian, how is the quality of the IPod over the FM transmitter? Do you know if there is a way to connect the unit via RCA cables directly to the Becker unit? Also, is there a specific cable from Apple that enabled you to hook the IPod up to the cell connector above? If not, how did you accomplish this to get power? Thanks.

Any post '02 996 has the fiber optic MOST based head unit--no AUX-in is available. Period. Dension is supposed to come out with something, so you might as well put yourself on their waiting list. My FM modulator works fairly well--about 80% of the sound quality you might want. The Porsche radio seems better than my 7 series BMW for this purpose. It's a compromise, but it beats the lousy choice of radio stations in this area (NYC).

Also, DFC, I bought a cigarette lighter extension from Radio Shack, cut off the end, added some solder to the wire and pushed them into the connector (black into brown wire, red into green wire), then covered everything with electrical tape.

• 2 years later...

Found it

Telephone prep connector. On it you will find:

+12 volts unswitched (red/green)

+12 volts switched (green/black)

Ground (brown wire)

Telephone Mute Signal (yellow/black wire

( from Loren's post)

If I were to power into the cigarette lighter from behind, is there a chance of draining battery power when the ignition is off for an extended period?

Just curious, does anyone know if leaving something like ipod connector plugged in permenantly to the cigarette lighter directly will drain the battery?

I've been told it does on German cars...

Cheers,

Andy

• Admin

German cars? Not really true.

On Porsche's the cigarette lighter is always hot (unswitched +12 volts) - so theoretically you could put enough draw there to bring the battery down over time. It will depend on how much current for how long.

On my Mercedes the cigarette lighter is switched so it is off when you turn the key off.

There is good and bad to both - on the Porsche you can use the battery maintainer through the cigarette lighter but if you left something else plugged in you could cause a drain. On the Mercedes you can't charge the battery through the cigarette lighter nor could you cause a drain.

I personally prefer the Porsche method.