Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bringing a 986 back to life

Hello everyone,

last week i picked up an abandoned 2001 Boxster S from a local auction at a cheap price. this is one of the cars that was left behind by previous owners when the financial crisis hit in 2008, and has since been sitting in a desert pit covered in Sand. (i'll post some pictures soon).

so basically the car's keys are not available and the car hasn't been turned on for almost 3 years.

The engine, gearbox and interior all looks in tact, however there's a small impact to the front RHS bumper, and the radiator is bent inwards.

first question i'd like to ask you all is how do i tackle this project? i want to bring this baby back to life... if i buy a used key set for the boxster and replace the existing one, would that work? or i would have to take it to the dealership for reprogramming?

after flushing all liquids and replacing oils,fluids & spark plugs, is it safe then to attempt to start the car?

any input is appreciated!!

If you are trying to get it going without the need for programming, it isn't just a key set you would need. You would need a matching key set, alarm control module and DME.

You would be better to order a new key from the dealer, who will order it against your specific VIN. This will get the correct key blade for the car. Then they would have to program the alarm module to recognise the immobiliser pill and radio remote in the new key. I am sure it would work out a whole lot cheaper than fitting a load of second hand bits.

As for the mechanicals, it sounds like you have a good plan. Fix any visible damage, clean it up to remove the sand, a major service and thorough check-over.

• Admin

You would need to get the immobilizer, DME, and door locks from another car - probably not the best solution.

If you take the car to a Porsche dealer with proof of ownership the can look up the cars IPAS codes and program new keys for much less than what you described.

If the radiator is not leaking it may be drivable for short distances until you inspect the rest of the car.

Please do not double post -- I have removed your second post on the same subject.

First time you do it takes about an hour to take the whole front bumper off to see what damage is underneath. Get a Bently's manual will show you all of the pieces to remove, and will have the sequence and torque specs to put it back together.

Sunset is a sponsor, their link is at the top of this page, Pellican is another good source for new parts. There are several Porsche recyclers, I've bought stuff from the one in LA and the one in Oklahoma.

Assuming you get the dealer to order a key, and get the car to them for programming (Do you have a friend with a trailer?) and the engine turns over. I'd suck the gas out and put a few gallons of fresh in and try to start it. I'd rather run it to warm it up before changing the coolant and oil. I also might put a half quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase to help flush and junk to the filter. Once it's warm, change the oil and filter, drain and replace the coolant, and I'd flush the brakes before you drive it.

I'm guessing the battery is dead, search here and it will tell you how to open the trunk to replace the battery.

If you have access to someone with a military mailing address there, might make parts hunting eaiser.

Good luck!