Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

good instructions for removing center console?

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to replace the parking brake microswitch (so that my top will go up and down) and I'm looking for details on removing the lower console panels and carpet pieces in the vicinity of the parking brake. I have this excellent write up for the switch replacement: http://www.bombaydig...g_brake_switch/ but I get really nervous about prying off panels for the first time when I don't know exactly where the clip is or just how much force is appropriate to apply.

So if there is a write up on removing all those panels in the neighborhood of the parking brake that someone would point me to I'd be appreciative. (Honest, I've searched every way I could think of and have come up with nothing).

Thanks!

RedCab

I am having one heck of an (unsuccessful so far) time trying to remove the side covers of the center console. I'm applying a lot of thumb pressure outward on the front edge, but there is absolutely no wiggle or give. (Step 4 in the BMR racing link).

Also, I have a tip, so are there any specific directions related to removing the shifter knob and surround?

Regarding the knob.. There are two types.. Look at that base of the knob where it attches to the shift lever. See if there is a screw. If so loosen the screw and apply gentle force and the knob should come off. If there is no screw you litteraly have to "yank" it off. Be very careful when you do this that you don't knock your teeth out (or knock yourself unconscious when it comes off.) Twist and pull at the same time.

Here is another link to remove your console. http://www.macarbon....d=119&Itemid=87

Look for the red highlighted "View the install instructions".

Edited by phillipj

Ok, finally got the side covers to the center console off! I had to grab the back edge with 2 hands and pull very hard straight outward (perpendicular to the cover) and finally it let go. I now see there are 3 tabs that are aligned vertically holding in this piece.

Hopefully I'll get to taking the rest of it apart during the coming weekend ....

Ok, got the parking brake microsensor back in and I'm having some challenges getting the tiptronic shifter assembled properly.

FIrst challenge was the retainer spring clip that would go all the way in. Finally I pushed it with the edge of a screwdriver and voila! it is in (30 minutes later of course)

Now my problem is that the shifter clunks through the gears and is hitting an obstruction as it moves from D to M and back again. There is a funny shaped piece of black plastic with spring attached that goes right under the shifter cover. It has a hole in which the shifter shaft passes through. How does one properly orient this funny shaped piece of black plastic?

Thanks...

post-695-0-11654000-1353297405_thumb.jpg

Edited by redcab

Thanks for the diagram Loren... if you could help me understand it, by confirming...

The direction "3" is from P to D (toward the rear of the car)?

The longest edge of the plastic is oriented so that it's perpendicular to the shifter travel, and it on the "D side" (as opposed to the "P side")?

Thanks as always for your timely and authoritative responses!

• Admin

Removing and installing selector support

Removal

1. Remove selector knob (refer to Service No. 3704 19).

2. Remove center console (refer to Service No. 68 17 19).

3. Move selector lever to position "D".

4. Disengage keylock cable:

- Open adjuster (3) by pressing the unlocking button (7). Press the retaining clip (4) together and carefully pull the adjuster (3) upward out of the support bracket.

- Disengage cable nipple (1) on the keylock lever (2).

5. Disengaging selector lever cable:

- Slide the locking sleeve of the adjuster forward and turn it clockwise to removal position (8).

- Press the retaining clip (10) together and carefully pull the cable upward out of the support bracket.

6. Disconnect plug connection.

7. Unscrew fastening nuts (11).

Installation

Install in reverse order, observing the following points:

1. Tighten fastening nuts (11) to 10 Nm (7.5 ftlb.).

2. Fastening selector lever cable:

- Press the cable into the support bracket until the retaining clip engages in the housing (10).

- Press cable into the open adjuster (8) and close the adjuster (9). The locking sleeve must move to the end position automatically(9).

3. Fastening keylock cable:

Note

Adjust the keylock cable only with the selector knob fitted.

- Install selector knob (refer to Service No. 3704 19).

- Turn ignition key to position "1" (ignition on) and move selector lever to position "D".

- Open adjuster (3).

- Engage cable nipple (1) on the keylock lever (2).

- Press housing for adjuster (3) into the support bracket until the retaining clip (4) engages.

- Move selector lever to position "P" and turn ignition key to position "0" (removal position).

- Press cable sleeve (5) toward the selector support.

- Release cable and press locking button (7) until it engages.

4. Check keylock function:

- Turn ignition key to position "1" (ignition on).

- Move selector lever from position "P" to "D" and turn ignition key counterclockwise. The removal position must not be reached.

- Release ignition key again and engage selector lever position "P". In this position, it must be possible to remove the ignition key and the locking button must be locked.

5. Remove selector knob once more.

6. Fit rotary valve in correct position and install center console.

Ok, got that done!

Now one question left.... in removing the center console I disconnected 6 connectors under the ashtray. All easy and obvious to reconnect except the storage bin alarm wire. I didn't pay close enough attention to where it came from as I was disassembling (it fell apart without needing my deliberate effort) and now I don't have a clear idea of where the other side of the connector (the side attached to the storage bin lock) is or how the heck I'm supposed to get my hand in there to make the connectors connect. Any ideas or hints appreciated....because I really don't want to disassemble the whole console again just to put that one connection back!