Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A few months ago I posted a topic concerning my 2008 Cayenne S getting a CEL and fault code of P0021, implausible signal. I reset the light several times with the durametric and at some points it would go 1500 plus miles between tripping the CEL. This week, it starting tripping it every other day. So I took the truck to the local NJ Porsche dealer this morning. I told them my findings. An hour after driving off in a 2012 Panamera S loaner with a fresh cup of coffee, the service writer called me and said the code they pulled was a P2181, coolant performance. They said the thermostat was stuck open and it would be 800 bucks for parts and labor. They were the most professional dealership I have ever used and I consider 800 getting off easy. Plus my truck was cleaned inside and out.

This may shine some light on another posting from when I bought the truck in 2010. During the cold winters, the exhaust never warmed up and and it looked like clouds of water vapor coming from the exhaust pipes, embarrassing amounts. The DC dealer never could resolve. Not so impressed with the scan tool.

• Moderators

Not sure how you can blame this on the Durametric scan tool; the codes seem to be for two unrelated engine events (P0021 is a code for cam timing issue on bank 2, P2181 is the cooling system) separated by time and miles, plus in any case either dealer would have used a PIWIS system which is pretty bullet proof as a diagnostics tool.

I too have a 2008 S (108k miles) and a Durametric. After a few weird codes I contacted Durametric and they told me they had problems with the Siemens ECU in this car. They gave me a beta ECU module which works well and now I get the same P2181 on a regular basis. At least with this sw you will get the correct codes. But $800 for a thermostat seems excessive to me

The Durametric program listed the fault as P0021, and I almost bought a new Varocam solenoid. The Porsche dealer said my scanner listed the wrong code and they said it was a P2181. The lesson I take away from this is that the Durametric may be right, or maybe not. If the part is expensive, you may want a second opinion.

• Moderators

I think the real "take away" message here is that sometimes Porsche uses weird components, like the Seimens DME, with little of no notice, which makes diagnostics a bit more difficult for anyone without the PIWIS system.

We must remember that scan tools are not magic. They pull codes to point you where there is a possible issue. For instance just because the tool gives a P2181 coolant performance does not mean we just throw a thermostat at it for a fix. The tech has to prove what has failed in the system by testing with DVOM meter or a lab scope. IE: temp sensor, wiring, harness, connecters. Once he sees that everything is working normal and to spec. now you replace the thermostat. I have seen techs at a lot of shops throw parts at issues because the scanner has given a code with out any further testing. This shows a misunderstanding of how the systems work and lack of proper training. As for Durametric it’s a good scan tool for the money however it can’t compete with OEM PIWIS @ $4000 $6000 depending on how you have it setup. The moral of the story is no mater what scan tool you have it's not a silver bullet.

Edited by binger

We must remember that scan tools are not magic. The moral of the story is no mater what scan tool you have it's not a silver bullet.

This is gospel. My Durametric has been pulling a P2329 fault code on multiple occasions after being cleared, one that doesn't even exist. Turns out the correct code for the displayed condition is P2281. I no longer trust my Durametric, but it is a good starting point for getting your diagnostic process headed in the right direction.

• 4 years later...

Old thread but been looking for Durametric codes, when I found this discussion about the  Durametric/Siemens ECU.

I have a 2011 958 TT

I will keep searching and email their support.

Got a check engine light on the way home Friday I was able to read it before shutting the engine off.

Another one that comes up often is chassis system failure. If I try to raise to the highest setting.or once in a while on the road.

Engine Module Siemens EMS SDI 8
Current Fault Codes
P29184:
Implausible signal
P13568:
No signal/communication

All Wheel Drive - AWD
Current Fault Codes
289 / 121:
Warning Indicator Off
Test Completed This Monitoring Cycle
Test Failed Since Last Clear
Test Completed Since Last Clear
Pending DTC
Test Failed This Operation Cycle

Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Current Fault Codes
644 / 284:
Warning Indicator On
Test Completed This Monitoring Cycle
Test Not Failed Since Last Clear
Test Not Completed Since Last Clear
Not Pending DTC
Test Not Failed This Operation Cycle
Fault Passive

Tiptronic Transmission
Current Fault Codes
U010400: