Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Instrument bezel overlays

Hello,

Today I received a set of instrument bezel overlays for my Porsche 996. The rings are supposed to be mounted using tape, which was included in the set. Unfortunately, the delivery came without any instructions where to put the tape.

Has anyone got an idea where you put this tape. On the instruments and if so where exactly or perhaps on the inside of the rings and again where?

I don't like using glue, because this will show should I decide to remove the overlays.

Thank you for your help.

jo996 (the Netherlands)

b.t.w. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

• Moderators

Instead of 2 sided adhesive tape, use RTV silicone adhesive (available at a home improvement store). It will hold the rings in better, and can be cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol. Do not in any case use "super glue". The reason I suggest this is that the tape is prone to failure over time, and is very difficult to apply to the insides of the rings without damaging them.

Before installing the trim rings, lay them on a flat surface and make sure that they are plumb. If they are warped a bit, gently twist them ever so gently to get them to lay flat. Do some trial fits on your instrument cluster to make sure that they fit correctly. Be careful with the pieces as they are very fragile, and can bend easily.

Next apply a thin bead of the silicon adhesive to the insides of the trim rings. Do one at a time. Press the trim ring in place, and if necessary use masking tape to hold them snugly in place, and let the adhesive dry overnight.

If any excess adhesive came out from behind the trim ring, use Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol which is available at a drug store) to remove the excess. The alcohol acts as a release agent for the silicone, so it comes right off.

If you ever decide to remove the rings, the silicone adhesive will clean right off with Isopropyl alcohol. and will not discolor, mar, or damage the plastic cluster lenses.

• 1 month later...

Did mine over the weekend using double sided tape which seem fine.

Cut the tape into strips and put it on so that when you put the ring on the gauge it sticks to the outside edge of the gauge.

The trick here is to start from the outside gauges and work in.

Hope thats helpful.

• 3 years later...
yep yep and yep, tried all they are all MPH, none in KM/H

Sorry this is the bezel (also know as gage rings) and it has nothing to do with the speedo...you want new faces....check FVD as they have them...your post was unclear and it was not what the OP was looking for. Best to start your own thread if you want different information...LOL BTW I think you want aluminum not white?

Edited by wross996TT

Instead of 2 sided adhesive tape, use RTV silicone adhesive (available at a home improvement store). It will hold the rings in better, and can be cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol. Do not in any case use "super glue". The reason I suggest this is that the tape is prone to failure over time, and is very difficult to apply to the insides of the rings without damaging them.

Before installing the trim rings, lay them on a flat surface and make sure that they are plumb. If they are warped a bit, gently twist them ever so gently to get them to lay flat. Do some trial fits on your instrument cluster to make sure that they fit correctly. Be careful with the pieces as they are very fragile, and can bend easily.

Next apply a thin bead of the silicon adhesive to the insides of the trim rings. Do one at a time. Press the trim ring in place, and if necessary use masking tape to hold them snugly in place, and let the adhesive dry overnight.

If any excess adhesive came out from behind the trim ring, use Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol which is available at a drug store) to remove the excess. The alcohol acts as a release agent for the silicone, so it comes right off.

If you ever decide to remove the rings, the silicone adhesive will clean right off with Isopropyl alcohol. and will not discolor, mar, or damage the plastic cluster lenses.

I also used the same technique as Orient Express since double sided tape did not hold good enough, even after the first week. Three years now and everything is still in place! It takes more time & effort but i think is the right way to do it.

Nikos.