Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

anyone add stock door speakers to a base car?

my car did not come with door speakers, I want to add them but there obviously is no cutouts to do it. any one add the stock speakers to a car that had just dash speakers? are there any pattern on the back of the door panbel? better anyone got grey door panels? my car is an 02

my car did not come with door speakers, I want to add them but there obviously is no cutouts to do it. any one add the stock speakers to a car that had just dash speakers? are there any pattern on the back of the door panbel? better anyone got grey door panels? my car is an 02

I think nobody does it because they are really crappy Nokia paper cone speakers or something similar. I would just go 3rd party for the speakers and just get the OEM speaker grills....

I think they might be surface mounted. I've seen them show up on ebay every once in awhile with a whole sort of body attached. If I'me correct, and the other guy here is, you could always swap the speakers out and keep the stock look "body".

P.K

I think they might be surface mounted. I've seen them show up on ebay every once in awhile with a whole sort of body attached. If I'me correct, and the other guy here is, you could always swap the speakers out and keep the stock look "body".

P.K

i think they are mounted to the door , just the covers on the panel. I am leary of cutting holes in good panels so aftermarket is not for me unless it is drop in for the original.

• Moderators

Your door panels are flat where the speakers would go, and you do not have the amp in the front trunk. So you cannot just put in the factory speakers as you door panels are different, there are no speaker wires behind the panel, plus you have not the amp in the front trunk to drive them.

But there are many, and some say better, alternatives.

Your door panels are flat where the speakers would go, and you do not have the amp in the front trunk. In the picture you can see the panel is raised for the door speakers when you have the option. So you cannot just put in the factory speakers as you door panels are different, there are no speaker wires behind the panel, plus you have not amp to dirve them.

so i need the panels? i alreafdy got the amp to retro install

the door speakers in Boxsters are (crappy) mid-subwoofers. they only put out low frequencies.

you would be 10x better off installing some rear speakers (which will move the soundstage) and a real subwoofer. don't even bother with the door speakers. it would be a lot of work for very, very little gain.

this is what i did...

made a mount for some aftermarket Pioneer TSA878s (they had the best frequency response that i could find in a 3.5" speaker - and they were only $50:

10658.jpg

and i added a Kenwood KSC-SW1 compact sub in the passenger footwell. $120 for it on eBay. and this thing rocks!!! really fills out the low end nicely.

9409.jpg

Edited by Chris_in_NH

Chris, thanks for the pictures! That's awesome. I never thought to cut into the leather backings to add speakers, but I can see that would sound really great. I had speakers in my Miata's headrests which made a great difference during top down freeway driving and I can see this would be simular.

As for the subwoofer, do your passengers complain about kicking it or not having enough foot room?

Chris, thanks for the pictures! That's awesome. I never thought to cut into the leather backings to add speakers, but I can see that would sound really great. I had speakers in my Miata's headrests which made a great difference during top down freeway driving and I can see this would be simular.

As for the subwoofer, do your passengers complain about kicking it or not having enough foot room?

i didn't actually cut into the leather backings (the leatherette storage compartment). the leather flaps are 'open' in this pic and there is a piece of wood that i sized and painted to fit into the opening in the rear storage compartment. when the flaps are closed, the speakers are completely concealed. however, i have seen an installation where the person actually cut holes in the flaps and added a screen material to serve as speaker grills. it looked pretty cool, but i like my install better. ;)

the subwoofer doesn't really get in the way. passengers lose maybe 6" of legroom, but as you can see from the pic, the sub doesn't take up a lot of room at all. it pretty rugged as well, so i suppose they could put their feet on it if they wanted.

Your door panels are flat where the speakers would go, and you do not have the amp in the front trunk. In the picture you can see the panel is raised for the door speakers when you have the option. So you cannot just put in the factory speakers as you door panels are different, there are no speaker wires behind the panel, plus you have not amp to dirve them.

so i need the panels? i alreafdy got the amp to retro install

I'm currently going through the process of completely overhauling the stereo in my '00 S which only had the base stereo. Its a big job and a pain in the *** if you don't have a workshop/garage to work in. But basically I've added a Genesis 2 channel amp and a set of Rainbow 3-way speakers. I bought a new set of door cards as I wanted to try to keep everything looking as OEM as possible but here's a list of everything I needed to do:

1. replace dash speakers with tweeter and midrange speaker which involved cutting the original speaker mount to enable the fitment of the larger midrange and tweeter and then epoxy securing them.

2. make a custom baffle to add the woofer and mount to the door

3. sound proof the door i.e. make the door the enclsoure

4. mount the crossovers under the dash

5. mount the amp in the front boot

6. wire everything up - ie getting RCA and remote from the HU to the amp, wiring the amp for power off the battery and the hardest part - getting speaker wire into the doors for the woofers

In retrospect, would I do this again, maybe. Its been a long and hard slog and the improvement is huge but was it worth it, who knows......

Edited by davej_anderson

• Moderators

Some of our local guys have this sub. It is made by a local company. An amp is mounted in the front trunk below the latch to drive the sub.

This is Henry's 2000 2.7. As you can see from the second picture he does not have door speakers. He also added a rear speaker kit. I'm not into stereo stuff but it does sound nice.

post-4-1189573425_thumb.jpg

post-4-1189573482_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

I am planning on adding the rear speakers as you suggested – I actually purchased DKE-108 - MB Quart 3.5" (4 Ohms, Frequency Response: 90 - 32.000, Sensitivity: 4,5dB, 20-50 Watts) from WoofersEtc

I understand you don’t have door speakers and you are using the enclosed sub for bass. In my case I have the doors for bass (I sealed the door panels and replaced the speakers with Focals 130 CA), which are currently powered together with the dash speakers (Infinity Kappa 42.7 I) by the original HAES 4X40 W amp. I plan on changing the AMP at a later occasion.

Due to my very restricted knowledge on audio install, I have a few questions:

1) Can I power the rear speakers I am about to install straight from the HU (Becker CDR 220) and keep the front and rear connections intact? If so, do you have any ideas on how I should wire the speakers (what output should I use from the HU)? Do you know where I can find a wiring diagram?

2) What type of wires and connectors are appropriate for my speakers?

3) How did you “route” the rear speakers’ wires? Did you route them through the center console or the laterals?

Thank you very much and sorry to bother,

Gustavo