Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic Fluid change

I have a MY97 2.5L with Tiptronic and 89K miles. I am working my way thru the required maintenance (oil, plugs, filters, already done) and I need to change the fluids in the transmission, but all I see is the drain plug for the trans oil. Where is the fill and drain plugs for the differential (for the gear oil). ;) I've got plenty of DIY experience just never worked on a Tiptronic trans. Any pointers or tips on how to approach this task would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I was at my dealer yesterday and one of the mechanics was doing this.

The big plug is the fill and the small plug the drain, for the transmission.  I did not take a picture of the differential plugs.

uhhhhhhh :huh: OK.....the fill plug is on the bottom.....nice design......

Can they make it a little more complicated (?) and while they are at it and add in a healthy dose of pain in the butt. Guess I'll have my mechanic do this one. Trying that in your own garage looks to be a recipe for a lot of spilled fluids (besides the foamy kind). :beer:

Thanks for the replies!!!

I was at my dealer yesterday and one of the mechanics was doing this.

The big plug is the fill and the small plug the drain, for the transmission.  I did not take a picture of the differential plugs.

uhhhhhhh :huh: OK.....the fill plug is on the bottom.....nice design......

Can they make it a little more complicated (?) and while they are at it and add in a healthy dose of pain in the butt. Guess I'll have my mechanic do this one. Trying that in your own garage looks to be a recipe for a lot of spilled fluids (besides the foamy kind). :beer:

Thanks for the replies!!!

The tiptronic car is a little differnt I admit, but it fluid change can be accomplished at home. My car has 60K so Im not too worried about this just yet. The recomended fluid change is at 90K.

I have read the factory manual on this procedure and it looks like the most critical part is the temperature at which the side hole vent is closed.

The Tiptronic has a filler port and a drain plund located on the bottom of the pan. The filling is performed using a VAG 1924 servicing tool.

See below, $289.00 at a internet site http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm#trans . this is the same tool used by Audi, VW and Porsche for servicing auto transmissions.

Basically the OLD fluid is drained , New AT filter installed, Pan reinstalled, then refilled through the lower filler port until excess pores out the side vent. Then car is cranked and ran untill the temp reaches 30-40 C at which time the side port is closed.

There has to be DYI developed as Porsche dealers charge 200.00 + to do this work.

Below is the special tool used at the Porsche dealer.

post-2874-1104778455_thumb.jpg

An Old mechanic told me one time if you dont know the exact amount to refill an AT transmission, measure exactly what came out when unit was drained and refill the to exact amount. It would get you close providing the temperature of the fluid you drained was the same as you put back in.

• Moderators

At a tech session we had a few years ago the mechanic added a bit of fluid. I do not have a picture of how he injected the fluid into the transmission fill plug (which looks like a drain plug) but it was just like this. You pull on the end of the rod to suck the fluid into the tool. Then stick the plastic tube into the fill plug and 'inject' it into the transmission. Looks like the official tool is gravity fed.

post-4-1104799780_thumb.jpg

Now I understand. I missed the statement that even though it is filled from the bottom, the fluid does not run out.

Thanks for the posting the picture of the "official" tool. That's a huge rip-off for $289 as that's about $20 would hardware to build an exact duplicate.

The way I would (will) do it is with the following materials:

1.tygon tubing from local hardware store

2.food service ketcup/mustard squeeze bottle (purchase new/clean from Smart&Final or place that sell food service stuff

3. elbow or short piece of 1/4" copper/metal tubing for the end of the tygon going inot the trans.

4.(optional) quarter turn valve from hardware store with hose barbs on each side

This set-up will require two people for ease of use/prevent spillage. Also, you could skip the squeeze bottle and use a small funnel (one person to pour fluid while the other holds the tube inside the trans.) to have a gravity feed system

I found a similar pump that might work for this. The basic idea is that is gets filled from the bottom up the level at which fluid runs back out. A very large drip pan will make this less messy to say the least.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=44480

The pump pictured in the ad will work for both extraction and dispensing of fluid.