Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Failed inspection :(

Well, I took my "new" 00 Boxster to get inspected for the first time today. I live in New Jersey. They failed me for two things. First, they said they were unable to communicate with the OBD. That is what they now do as the inspection for pollution. I have no problems I know of and my check engine light tests normally. They also said my fuel cap failed a leak test. Any advice? I really don't want to take the car to a dealer for this. It seems to be running fine.

Thanks,

Jon

• Admin

Try a different testing station - Porsches OBD II port is the same as all others. My tester has worked on everyone I have tried.

Have you had the Porsche gas cap recall done? They should have replaced your gas cap for free.

If yes, then look at the o-ring on the cap if it is dry then put a small amount of silicone grease on it. If it is damaged then replace the o-ring (191 201 557 - retails for $0.66).

Jon,

I took my new to me 2000 Boxster to be inspected about 10 months ago in NC and was also told that they couldn't communicate with the OBDII. They said that it was probably a fuse and they could check it and replace it for (x) $. I don't remember the amount but it was a lot of money. I told them no thanks that I would troubleshoot myself and come back later. I checked all the fuses and they were all good. I then called my local Porsche dealer and told them about my problem. The service advisor told me that it was rather common for this to happen and that the problem was not inserting the male connector to the car firmly enough. I returned to the inspection station and told them what I had learned on the phone and they tried again without any luck. They let me try and I pressed very hard and it worked just fine.

I think the original gas caps were recalled on the MY 2000 (and maybe others). Maybe your hasn't been replaced. If it has, the dealer should have placed a sticker on the inside of your rear trunk stating so. If you don't have the sticker, the dealer will probably give you the newer cap.

Good luck and let us know the resolution.

ddb

Great info guys!

I also think I might have been my own worse enemy by accident. I read this on the NJ Inspection website...

"One of the primary reasons may be if recent electrical work or problems with the vehicle have caused the OBD computer to reset. In this case, you may not have emissions problems but your OBD system will not be readable by the inspection equipment until after you have driven your vehicle for a certain amount of time. If you have recently had your battery replaced or disconnected while your vehicle was being serviced, ask your repair technician and/or consult the owner’s manual to determine if your vehicle will be ready for inspection."

I went to the inspection station today(Tuesday) and I had disconnected my battery on the previous Saturday to do the OBC mod to my car. It works great but that is another story. Do you think this could have caused the problem? How long after a battery disconnect does it take for the OBD to allow connections? In my case it had been three days and a little lesss than 100 miles.

Jon

After the battery has been disconnected there is a certain number of "drive cycles" (whatever that is) that needs to be done before the OBDII system has had a chance to check everything. "Drive cycles" has to do with starting and stopping the engine, x miles driven, x miles over 55 mph, etc. I do not know exactly what all the parameters are to fully satisfy the system. Maybe someone with an OBDII manual can fill us in.

• Admin

Likely more than you want to know... :lol:

Warm-up cycle

The warm-up cycle is the time which the engine requires to reach operating temperature. To fulfill the warm-up cycle condition, the engine temperature on start-up must not be higher than a specified value (e.g. 30 DC).The engine operating phase has to be long enough to reach a specified temperature (e.g. 70 DC).The warm-up cycle condition is needed to count down or reduce the erase counter in the case of faults which have been recognized as corrected.

Driving cycle

A driving cycle consists of starting the engine, running the engine or driving until oxygen sensing becomes active, and then stopping the engine. Since the system cannot know when the engine will be stopped, the diagnostic routines are started as soon as oxygen sensing is activated.

Trip

A trip is a driving cycle after a rest period that enabled the diagnostic system to monitor all components and systems at least once. In the event of a fault, it may not be possible to perform all diagnostic routines under certain circumstances. For this reason, a replacement trip is recognized after an operating period of 1150 seconds. In other words, a driving cycle is recognized as a trip after this time, even if not all diagnostic routines were performed.

Readiness code

The readiness code indicates that the required fault checks were performed by the OBD system. It is not important whether or not a fault was found. The readiness

code is reset if the fault memory is erased or the power supply (terminal 30) is cut off when a code is stored. The readiness code is not reset when the battery is disconnected if no fault is stored.

To initiate the readiness code, at least two trips have to be completed.

The readiness code is shown for the following systems:

- Catalytic converter conversion

- Fuel tank ventilation system

- Secondary air system

- Oxygen sensor

- Oxygen sensor heating

Freeze frame

Freeze frame data are the momentary operating conditions that are recorded in the memory when a fault occurs. Only freeze frame data of one fault are stored in this way. If no fault has been recorded, the freeze frame data of the first fault are recorded. If a special fault occurs (misfire or a fault in the fuel supply system), the

freeze frame data already recorded are overwritten. If an additional special fault occurs, the freeze frame data of the first special fault remain in the memory. These

freeze frames are only displayed with a generic scan tool.

The following operating conditions can be recorded:

- DTC of the fault which initiated storage of freeze frame data

- Oxygen sensing status, bank 1

- Oxygen sensing status, bank 2

- Load value

- Engine temperature

- Oxygen sensing value FR, bank 1

- Adaptation value FRA, bank 1

- Oxygen sensing value FR2, bank 2

- Adaptation value FRA 2, bank 2

- Engine rpm

- Vehicle speed

Fault shedding

When a fault is recognized during a diagnostic routine, it is stored as a suspected fault. At the same time, a fault shedding counter is started that contains a certain value. During additional diagnostic routines, the shedding counter will be decreased by 1 if the fault is recognized in the same area window. If the shedding counter has reached the value 0, the fault is considered as shedded.

Fault healing

When a fault is recognized during a diagnostic routine, it is stored as a suspected fault. At the same time a fault healing counter is started that contains a certain value. During additional diagnostic routines, the fault healing counter will be decreased by 1 if the fault is not recognized in the same area window. If the fault healing counter has reached the value 0, the fault is considered to be healed. If the fault has triggered the Fault Indicator Lamp (MIL) then the latter is switched off as long as it is not triggered by any further faults.

Fault erasing counter

For each recognized fault, an individual fault erasing counter is kept. The counter determines the memory storage time of the respective fault. The first time the fault is recognized, the fault erasing counter is set to 80. If an unshedded fault is recognized as healed, the fault erasing counter is set to 40. Each time a shedded fault is recognized, the fault erasing counter is set to 10. It retains this value until fault healing is recognized. After each warm-up operating cycle the fault erasing

counter is decreased by 1, when the fault in question is recognized as unshedded or healed. When the fault erasing counter reaches the value 0, the fault is erased from the memory.

Well, I read the above info but I am still curious if anyone thinks the battery being disconnected three days and ~80 miles ago would cause it to fail.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on a PC based OBD scanner?

Jon

I am unfortunately debugging P1130/P1128 codes on my 98. When my OBDII scanner first starts it displays the following:

--------------------------------------

ECU - 17

Continuous Monitor Status

Misfire Monitoring Supported - Complete

Fuel System Monitoring Supported - Complete

Comp. Component Monitoring Supported - Complete

Non-Continuous Monitor Status

Catalyst Monitoring Supported - Not Complete

Evap System Monitoring Supported - Complete

Secondary Air Monitoring Supported - Complete

Oxygen Sensor Monitoring Supported - Not Complete

Ox Sensor Heater Monitoring Supported - Complete

----------------------------------

I think that the "Non-Continuous Monitor Status" items are those items that take a number of drive cycles to complete. The car has 100 miles on it since I disconnected the battery. So I think until all of the monitors have completed the car wont "pass" smog.

Anyone have any other ideas or insights?