Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adding switch to existing PSE

When I bought my 2002 996, it came with PSE but without the override switch.

The muffler does get quieter at certain speeds, but I do not know whether this

is due to vacuum or electronics.

I have looked and read ALL the installation descriptions so far, and really cannot

tell what additional parts I need. The engine compartment pics look pretty much like what I have (switch over valve, vacuum hoses, check valve & vacuum canister).

See enclosed pics. I have not taken the interior apart as yet to see whether a wire

travels from the rear to the front of the vehicle, nor what is installed in the fuse box (because I don't know what I am looking for). So my question to you all is:

o What is the difference in installation between the switched and non switched PSE install (other then the obvious switch and wires)?

o If you do not install the switch, does a wire still travel to the front of the car to some relay? I have a wire coming out of the switch over valve, but cant tell where it goes.

o What exactly gets installed in the fusebox if you do not install the switch (i.e., what should I be looking for?)

o Anyone have a picture of the fuse box, or a wiring diagram for the relay, switch and switch over valve?

My guess so far is that I need the switch 996 613 987 10 A05

and the set 996 612 978 00 that includes the wiring harness and relay

996 618 980 03

Thanks, Jan

post-1353-1130275258_thumb.jpg

post-1353-1130275269_thumb.jpg

The easier solution is to just buy the whole electronics and vacuum kit on e-bay or from someone on the forums selling it cheap. Should be less than $100 easily -- or maybe even free because so many people don't use it. If you struggle to find each part you need, you will end up spending a lot of wasted time. Just use what you need and pitch the rest.

• Moderators

All you will need to do is to add the switch and the wiring to the relay (which is already there) and power.

As the wiring diagram shows, it is real easy, just wire the switch to the relay as shown and add the wires for the lighting and you are done. The only thing else you might want to do when you are wiring into the relay socket (the pigtails with the correct pins attached are available from your porsche parts dept.) is to clip the Grey/Pink wire (speedometer A signal). This wire is what provides the mph signal to tell the relay to cut into the "quiet mode" between 30-45 mph. (unless you like the sound of the car going limp at those speeds :P )

You have everything you need to add the switch except the switch itself, about 3 feet of 18 or smaller gauge wire, about 6 bayonet blade connectors for the switch, and 2 relay push-in connector pigtails.

You will need to loosen the relay support bracket to get at the rear of it to add the wires in the relay connector socket, and pop off the center console bezel to add the switch. This one is that you need to think logically at the solution and understand the wiring diagram above.

You should be able to get the switch for about $25, and the rest is under $5.

If you are good, you can do this one in under an hour, but 2 and a half would not be bad.

Thanks, this will indeed help a lot.

How can I identify the PSE relay? Is it in any particular color,

or particular location near the fusebox? Or is it obvious once I look at it?

Next stupid question: how do I decode BS 5/2 DIM 2/03 and the other

designations where the wires need to go? I am obviously not familiar

with the Porsche nomenclature, but I figure it probably means

something like "some location" connector 5 pin 2.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Jan

• Moderators

here are some answers:

The relay looks like this:

IMG_0040.JPG

The part number is 996 618 980 03, and it is usually on the top row on the relay support bracket.

For the wiring connections, most are obvious, but the mystery one that you note BS 5/2 are jumper plugs that are in the relay support bracket that is also where the relay is. These jumper plugs are just plugs that are a common point for things to be wired to. Examples of things that are in routed to jumper plugs are:

Grounds

Dash switch illumination

Speedometer signals.

So anyway, BS 5/2 is the common point for dash switch illumination and it is located in either slot 28 or more likely on your car slot 25 on the relay support bracket. Just look for the jumper plug that has several GY/BU/BR (or BN) wires coming out of it. Slot 25 and 28 are along the bottom row of the relay support bracket. This is also where slot 23 is for you to clip the GR/PK speedometer A signal wire. Make sure you get the one that goes up to the PSE relay, and not one that is for something else.

Fuse B10 is on the fuse block, and is already connected to the relay, but you will need to run another line from fuse B10 to terminal A4 of the switch to run the illumination. (one trick to save some wire is to simply take the switch illumination leads and jumper them the an adjacent switch. Just look for GR/BL/BR and RE/BU wires on the other switch.)

The only other 2 wires you need go from pin A5 of the switch to slot 4 of the relay socket, and from pin A1 of the switch to slot 7 of the relay socket. For these 2 you need to get the pigtail with the connector pin on it from your Porsche parts counter.

Does this make sense?

One last thing, the relay support bracket is held in by one nut, and a plastic support on the driver's side lower A pillar. After you remove the nut, the relay support bracket will pull out, and has enough slack on it the you can turn it over to get to all of the wiring connectors, to add these connections.

When I bought my 2002 996, it came with PSE but without the override switch. 

The muffler does get quieter at certain speeds, but I do not know whether this

is due to vacuum or electronics.

I have looked and read ALL the installation descriptions so far, and really cannot

tell what additional parts I need. The engine compartment pics look pretty much  like what I have (switch over valve, vacuum hoses, check valve & vacuum canister).

See enclosed pics. I have not taken the interior apart as yet to see whether a wire

travels from the rear to the front of the vehicle, nor what is installed in the fuse box (because I don't know what I am looking for). So my question to you all is:

If I understand you correctly, your car has the valve installed in the engine compartment. As this valve is only driven by the electrical connection, it would seem most likely that you do have the wiring through the car. (I hope you do because that is the ugliest part of the install IMO). Since you mention that the car gets quieter at certain speeds, it would seem that someone went to the trouble of wiring up the relay to get the speed cut-out, but did not install the dash switch. I can't imagine doing this as the install of the dash switch is fairly easy. I'm stumped. Am I missing something here?

• Moderators

It looks like this car was optioned with PSE, and that it was an early car.

In 2002 when the 996 PSE was first available as a factory option, it was configured like the 986 sport exhaust in that the speed dependent "quite mode" was installed, but not a manual switch. It was not until late 2002/early 2003 that the manual switch was added.

• 3 years later...
All you will need to do is to add the switch and the wiring to the relay (which is already there) and power.

As the wiring diagram shows, it is real easy, just wire the switch to the relay as shown and add the wires for the lighting and you are done. The only thing else you might want to do when you are wiring into the relay socket (the pigtails with the correct pins attached are available from your porsche parts dept.) is to clip the Grey/Pink wire (speedometer A signal). This wire is what provides the mph signal to tell the relay to cut into the "quiet mode" between 30-45 mph. (unless you like the sound of the car going limp at those speeds :P )

You have everything you need to add the switch except the switch itself, about 3 feet of 18 or smaller gauge wire, about 6 bayonet blade connectors for the switch, and 2 relay push-in connector pigtails.

You will need to loosen the relay support bracket to get at the rear of it to add the wires in the relay connector socket, and pop off the center console bezel to add the switch. This one is that you need to think logically at the solution and understand the wiring diagram above.

You should be able to get the switch for about $25, and the rest is under $5.

If you are good, you can do this one in under an hour, but 2 and a half would not be bad.

Thanks for offer but got it now.