Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Weird Sound...Coming from the engine

Memo__3_.zip

I was driving my car yesterday and it was running fine. I was driving at 3 and I down shifted to 2 but it was for few second then I heard this sound like peace of metal is hitting the engine from the inside in a constant cycle .then the car died and it would not start .today I tried to start the car and it did start and I drove it about .5 mile but the sound is still there but now you can hear it clearly.

My car is 97

80 K mile

The Transy is 20K mile

I had the car serviced few weeks ago

I HAVE posted the sound of the car , please take few moment to listen to it.

THANK YOU ALL

• Admin

I would push the clutch in and see if the sound changes to ruleout the transmission.

Then (with the engine off) open the engine compartment and check the polyrib belt, pulleys and alternator mounting.

I would not drive a car that sounded like that until I found out what the problem is and how bad it may have damaged things.

I would push the clutch in and see if the sound changes to ruleout the transmission.

Then (with the engine off) open the engine compartment and check the polyrib belt, pulleys and alternator mounting.

I would not drive a car that sounded like that until I found out what the problem is and how bad it may have damaged things.

ITS a TIPTRONIC .... I have open the engine to check the belt and I saw this and I think its the thing that was makeing the sound .

post-8164-1143418396.jpg

• Admin
ITS a TIPTRONIC
Then please state that when you post... thank you.

See the Forum Note at the top of the page

"It is really helpful if you list:

· Model year

· Model/Engine (i.e. Boxster 2.5, Boxster 2.7, Boxster S, Boxster S Special Edition, etc.)

· Transmission type (i.e. 5 speed, 6 speed or Tiptronic)

· Interior color (when relevant)

· Country specific information (LHD, RHD, RoW, US, Canada)"

It is hard to help someone when we have so little information...

Thanks for ur help and sorry for the lack of info on my first post .you did see the pic . tell me what do you think. how much does it cost to replace the belt.

And after I fix my car I will make sure to Donate to this great website.ONE MORE THING DO YOU THINK I could find the belt at AUTO zone or something .

Edited by nightghost

Does your car have air conditioning?

Is it RoW or US/Canada? (these make a difference in the part number as the belt for A/C is longer)

It does have air conditionin but the AC motor is going bad so it does take some time to run but everything else is fine .My car is US model and i am not sure if this belt for A/C or not but you could see it by removing the compartmant behind seats . the one you told me to check. (ITS THE polyrib belt)

thank you

Edited by nightghost

I just had my belt replaced and the noise still there.I was only going 30 when it happend but before that I did about 120 mph run but it was few hours before the thing happend.the car did not run the night it broked but it was cold so I deceded to give it a try at the afternoon and it did run .I left the car since then..what do you guys think is the engine blown or something. the car does start and every thing .I did not drive it since then.

please help guys

You should have started the car with the belt off to ruleout the pulleys and A/C, alternator, and water pump. It is okay to run it for a few seconds for that test.

I have posted a new topic .and I am think about taking the car to the dealer tomorrow.let me know if you think it could be a blown engine.. DO you know how a blown engine sound like.

• Admin

I have deleted your duplicate topic - please re-read the board Guidelines and Rules.

Please post your messages in one forum only. Crossposting is a waste of time and valuable resources. If you post the same message in multiple forums, we will delete the ones we feel are inappropriate.
As I stated above until you do the test without the belt you can not rule out a pulley or something else. I've heard a Carrera with a bad pulley and it sounded worse than your car.

It sounds like it is connected to a pulley somewhere. With that amount of noise, everyone of the pulleys will be able to be checked by hand for excessive play or broken bearings. Your AC is probably going bad, probably related to this fault. (AC clutch/pulley, belt tensioner or any one of the pulleys as previously mentioned will upset the belt tension so will not be able to drive your AC correctly.)

Who changed your belt? Anyone changing a belt in that condition has to give the pulleys a thorough check.

It sounds like it is connected to a pulley somewhere. With that amount of noise, everyone of the pulleys will be able to be checked by hand for excessive play or broken bearings. Your AC is probably going bad, probably related to this fault. (AC clutch/pulley, belt tensioner or any one of the pulleys as previously mentioned will upset the belt tension so will not be able to drive your AC correctly.)

Who changed your belt? Anyone changing a belt in that condition has to give the pulleys a thorough check.

the sound from the car came before changing the belt .I gave the car another go and I tried to start it and it did start .but the sound was there so I parked somewhere vary close to where it broke and I opend the engine to see if the blet has any cut and quess what I found a big spot were just falt so I thought it was the belt that making all that noise so I did replace myself and some friends.the car does start but the noise is just there .the last time I serviced the car the guy from porsche told me that my AC is going bad but I did not replace it cause it works most of the time.

SO guys don't think its a blown engine or something :clapping: .cause the engine does work .

Hi There

You know what. Hate to tell you this and also hope for you that this is not the case.

Your story sounds like mine. I had a similar experience with my 97 boxster and heard the metallic sound from within the engine. In my case it was unfortunately it was the engine that was gone. I could start it just like you are saying but with a lot of metallic cracking sound.

As I said I hope you do not have the same problem. On mine it started with the bigend bearings going and ended with an engine replaced.

Good luck.

Kanin

Hi There

You know what. Hate to tell you this and also hope for you that this is not the case.

Your story sounds like mine. I had a similar experience with my 97 boxster and heard the metallic sound from within the engine. In my case it was unfortunately it was the engine that was gone. I could start it just like you are saying but with a lot of metallic cracking sound.

As I said I hope you do not have the same problem. On mine it started with the bigend bearings going and ended with an engine replaced.

Good luck.

Kanin

well I hope I don't end up like you replacing the engine . I took the car to a shop and they told me the sound is coming from the engine too. they say it might be from the camshaft or the valve lifter.

I hope there is no further damage to it.

can you tell me please how did that happen to you. is it the same story as mine.did they tell u what cause the thing.

Edited by nightghost

Just from listening to the clip, it sounds like big-end bearings... However, it's hard to tell without doing further tests. As Loren suggested, remove the belt and run the engine. If the sound is still there, it's the engine. Do not rev the engine hard (like you did in the clip) - you'll only make it worse. The sound was audible at idle, so if you remove the belt and start the car, and hear the sound at idle (or up to maybe 2Krpm), the problem is within the engine.

It may or may not be repairable. It will be expensive either way. You could get a replacement engine from, for example, www.911pcar.com (there are others too, but they're one of the biggest I've found). You'll need to factor in labour costs, etc. You can do it yourself if you are a good mechanic - else get someone else to do it.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Shash

Hi There

What happened was:

I was driving on the highway about 60 miles an hour. Just before the incident I was going fast and had made a shift down to 3rd and was up to about 6000 rpm in 3rd - wanted to pass another car. However afterwards I was driving very nicely on the road as said about 60 miles an hour and suddenly heard the noise drove off the highway and stopped immediately and got a tow truck to transport the car home. After 2 day at home trying to understand what has happened I took it to the garage and they told me that the engine was gone and full of metal peaces inside.

It never had any problems starting it after the first time I heard the noise - but it never sounded good and I did not drive in it. you could hear that there was something seriously wrong with it. So if you can drive yours it may not be the same problem even though it sounds like the same.

The garage told me that it was not worth trying to fix it as it is very difficult to get parts and new ones are extremely expensive. So I found a new used engine and replaced it - cost me about $4000 for the whole excersise :(.

I tried to get some help from Porsche as the car had only done 50k but no mercy from their side - they said it was out of warranty - so I had to pay for it my self. I was lucky to find a garage that had an engine and could do it for me fairly cheap. I did some research on this and there has been several engines that have gone like this. The grarage also told me that they had seen other boxsters with the same problem.

Listening to the sound file it unfortunately does sound like the same.

Kanin

I just want to thank you guys for the help

the car is still on the shop.the mechanic told me it does not sound like an engine failer .he been working with porsche cars for almost 35 years. he told me that most boxster engine failer happen when the cars were at low milage.

I will get back to u guys later

Wish me luck

Edited by nightghost