Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Programming Remote Key to Seat Memory?

Hi All...I just acquired my dream, a 2002 C4S Coupe about 2 weeks ago.

It's just awesome and I know I'm gonna be enjoying it for a long time to come!

I just got a new 2nd remote key made and programmed at the dealership.

Now when I disarm the car with this remote, the driver's seat goes completely out of position!

Seat goes all the way back and seatback all the way down!

Called the dealer from home and they told me I would have to program the key to the seat memory.

They told me the procedure is in the owner's manual.

I searched the whole manual and couldn't find that procedure.

Does the C4S come with a different manual?

I have a 911 manual that is very general and covers all basically,

but some of the stuff I have in my car are different than that in the manual.

I tried putting the key in ignition on, pressed memory buttons with seats in my position, but still it doesn't go right.

It's a 2002 C4S, and the memory setting buttons are:

1. "M"

2. (key icon)

3. memory "1"

4. memory "2"

The diagram in the manual shows the "M", "1", "2", "3" buttons, without the "key icon" button like mine. Does anyone know what the "key icon" button is for?

If I use my old key remote, everything is fine.

Does anyone here know how to program the key to the memory settings?

Thanks!

Some helpful members on the other forum gave these instructions from their manual.

I tried them to the book, over and over, even tried clearing any existing memory,

but it didn't work. The new key still send the seat all the way back everytiime I deactivate the car with it.

The original key works fine. Memory buttons can be used without problems to store positions.

- switch on ignition with desired key

- set seats and mirrors

- Put car in reverse if you want passenger mirror to tilt down while reversing

- Hold down "M" while pressing "key" button

Clearing key memory:

- switch on ignition with desired key

- Hold down "key" button and "2" for at least seconds

:help:

I think there's something wrong with the programming in the new key.

If I can't fix this, I'm gonna have to take it in to the stealer.

I can almost hear them tell me that the ignition switch, or the memory control module is bad.

And there's gonna be some argument coz' I won't buy that.

My original key works fine, and I can set whatever memory I want in those buttons.

I hope the technician who did the programming missed a step or something like that.

I've just had a look in my Boxster S handbook and it displays the seat controls exactly as you describe:

M - Button

Key - Button

1 - Button

2 - Button

The <Key> button is for doing exactly what you want to do :)

From the Manual:

OPERATING WITH THE REMOTE CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE KEY

Each remote control (up to four) can be assigned an individual seat and door mirror position.

The stored seat and door mirror position is set automatically when the vehicle is unlocked using the corresponding remote control. Each key is identified with a different colour.

Storing seat position

1. Switch the ignition on with the desired vehicle key.

2. Set the desired seat and door-mirror positions.

If you wish for the passenger's mirror to swivel down as a parking aid when reversing, reverse gear must be engaged when the seat position is stored.

3. Keep memory button M depressed and additionally press the KEY button (beside the memory button).

The individual setting is now assigned to this remote control.

I hope this helps. The seat/mirror positions are then recalled by pressing any button of the desired remote control. If your remote battery is dead, you can also recall the seat position by opening the doors with the key, turning the ignition on then pressing the KEY button.

To clear the desired remote key memory;

1. Switch on the ignition with the desired key.

2. Simultaneously press and hold both the KEY and 2 for at least 5 seconds.

Edited by 0586slb

Thank you, 0586slb

That's exactly what I did over and over but something is just not right with the new key.

I guess I'll have to go back to the dealer.

Should I try disconnecting the battery, then reconnect, and maybe that should erase any glitches in the memory settings?

Will disconnecting the battery set anything else off that will cause need reprogramming at the dealership?

Did you try to clear the memory first? Clear by switching on the ignition with your dodgy key, press the key button (on the control panel) and the 2 button simultaneously for at least 5 sec. There may be some spurious values/positions stored in there - I don't know if it will let you store a new one on top of an old one without erasing first. After that, I'm stumped :( because the seat memory reads the key details from the immobiliser module, so presumably if it is starting the car OK the key is OK.

Did you try to clear the memory first? Clear by switching on the ignition with your dodgy key, press the key button (on the control panel) and the 2 button simultaneously for at least 5 sec. There may be some spurious values/positions stored in there - I don't know if it will let you store a new one on top of an old one without erasing first. After that, I'm stumped :( because the seat memory reads the key details from the immobiliser module, so presumably if it is starting the car OK the key is OK.

Yes, I tried that as well. I thought the same and tried erasing the current key memory, then resetting a new memory, no luck.

This whole thing is puzzling...

If I lock the car with the new remote, and use the old remote to open, everything's good.

If I lock the car with the old remote, and use the new remote to open, it screws up.

So it seems it's the disarming with the new remote that screws up things.

After disarming with the new remote, the seat moves to the screwed-up position.

At this point, I press the 1 or 2 button and it stops. If I press the "key" button, it continues to the screwed-up position.

As soon as I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, I can press the "key" button and it will move to my memory position!

Go figure that one!

• Admin

From the service manual (programming with a PST2):

"The adjustment function of the seat, mirror and lumbar positions via the hand-held transmitter is correct only if the radio code and the transponder code of a hand-held transmitter are each stored at the same position in the alarm system control module.

In this case, it is first necessary to identify and delete the stored transponder code of the lost or faulty hand-held transmitter. All remaining vehicle keys are required for this purpose because all transponder codes are erased during the deletion function.

The transponder code of the vehicle key is displayed under 'Current transponder'.

Press the F3 key. "All codes will be deleted" appears on the screen; confirm with the F7 key.

Insert the vehicle key equipped with the new hand-held transmitter into the ignition lock and switch on the ignition. Establish communication between the 9588 Porsche System Tester II and the control module. Select the position (1, 2, 3,or 4) with the arrow keys (uparrow) and (down arrow) and press the F8

key. The transponder code of the first hand-held transmitter has now been taught. Remove the key and repeat the process for the remaining hand-held transmitters......"

• 1 month later...

The transponder code of the vehicle key is displayed under 'Current transponder'.

Press the F3 key. "All codes will be deleted" appears on the screen; confirm with the F7 key.

Insert the vehicle key equipped with the new hand-held transmitter into the ignition lock and switch on the ignition. Establish communication between the 9588 Porsche System Tester II and the control module. Select the position (1, 2, 3,or 4) with the arrow keys (uparrow) and (down arrow) and press the F8

key. The transponder code of the first hand-held transmitter has now been taught. Remove the key and repeat the process for the remaining hand-held transmitters......"

I have the memory seat problem after buying new transponder (two original stopped working within 6 months of each other). Dealer today looked at key codes at the tester screen which he used to pair new key with the car. Initially new key was in position 3 out of 4 possible (first two pistions were two old keys). i asked him to put new key into position one. so he did. Problem is still there though seat now goes into slightly different positon than before.

Unfortunatly i have no other dealer to go to and this one says i need to check the car in for repair. Looking at how clueless he was today i am afraid to do so. any possible solutions to this problem?

I gave up on this issue. Dealer told me the memory control unit under the seat needs to be replaced.

A cool $1000. But I asked why is the old key remote functioning properly, even possible to change memory settings with it. Only the new remote is not working right.

They said that happens, coz' the old key was already programmed,

and the new remote is...well, new.

So I'm supposed to be a sucker and spend $1000 to replace the memory control unit,

Dealer said "No guarantee" that will solve the problem, just "very likely" the cause.

I say screw that, I can still use the old remote, I'm the only one driving the car.

Besides, my indy mechanic says he will check it out for me,

he's encountered similar problems before with his past customers.

Worst scenario, he suggested disabling the new remote's memory setting completely,

so that it doesn't activate any memory settings when used.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but after doing some searching it seems to very common. Has anybody figured out the glitch?

I too have the same issue.

Car came with 2 keys, 1 key worked all functions including seat memory, 2nd key worked everything except the seat memory. I assumed the 2nd key was bad so I bought a replacement and had my dealership program the car to it. It too won't operate the seat memory.

Here's the odd thing...

The little key icon button on the memory seat setting buttons will set the seats and mirrors to the settings that are supposed to be stored to what ever key is in the ignition. So I attempted to store a setting in the new key and it won't work when unlocking the car but if you put the key in the ignition and push the key button it goes to the settings that are supposed to be stored to that key. So that tells me that the car knows what key is being used and it even knows which settings are assigned to said key but evidently it doesn't correlate the radio code that's transmitted from the FOB to the memory settings that are stored to that keys RFID chip. God I wish I had a PIWIS! One sold on Ebay the other day for 2K... I should of jumped on it.

This happened to me.

Clearing the memory or setting new memory on the 2nd key will not work.

This is what I did

-Lock and Unlock the car the Original Key

-Go in, set seat in position, store the Seat Position

-Lock and Unlock the car with the 2nd key

-Go in, set seat in position, store the seat Position

That fixed the problem. You need play around with the original key and storing it to get the 2nd key work correctly. I'm not sure why, but it worked.

I know this is an old topic, but after doing some searching it seems to very common. Has anybody figured out the glitch?

Car came with 2 keys, 1 key worked all functions including seat memory, 2nd key worked everything except the seat memory. I assumed the 2nd key was bad so I bought a replacement and had my dealership program the car to it. It too won't operate the seat memory.

Here's the odd thing...

The little key icon button on the memory seat setting buttons will set the seats and mirrors to the settings that are supposed to be stored to what ever key is in the ignition. So I attempted to store a setting in the new key and it won't work when unlocking the car but if you put the key in the ignition and push the key button it goes to the settings that are supposed to be stored to that key. So that tells me that the car knows what key is being used and it even knows which settings are assigned to said key but evidently it doesn't correlate the radio code that's transmitted from the FOB to the memory settings that are stored to that keys RFID chip. God I wish I had a PIWIS! One sold on Ebay the other day for 2K... I should of jumped on it.

According to the manual you can delete the key fob memory settings by holding in the key button and the "2" button for +5 seconds. I tried that and it didn't do anything. I noticed also that there are two different versions of the memory seat option. Some have the "M" "key icon" "1" and "2" buttons and the other has the "M," "1" "2" and "3" buttons. According to the pre-2003 manual you set the memory by pressing the "M" and the lock button on the key fob. According to the 2003 manual you use the "M" button along w/ the "key" button. I've tried both to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the odd thing...

According to the manual you can delete the key fob memory settings by holding in the key button and the "2" button for +5 seconds. I tried that and it didn't do anything. I noticed also that there are two different versions of the memory seat option. Some have the "M" "key icon" "1" and "2" buttons and the other has the "M," "1" "2" and "3" buttons. According to the pre-2003 manual you set the memory by pressing the "M" and the lock button on the key fob. According to the 2003 manual you use the "M" button along w/ the "key" button. I've tried both to no avail.

Gave my dealer a print out of the "Incorrect Programming Of Vehicle Keys" TSB and they did it and it fixed the problem.

• 15 years later...

I had this same problem with my recently purchased 2001 996 C2 where my seat and mirrors would go nuts when I locked/unlocked the car with the key FOB. Unfortunately the car didn't come with the owner's manual. It has the MEM, 1, 2, 3 buttons. There is no key button in the car. I was able to get my key memory set to my current adjustments by putting the key in the ignition and turning it to on without starting the motor. I then held the lock button on the FOB while simultaneously pressing and holding the MEM button and tapping the 1 button. Now the seat and mirrors stay where I like them and return to my settings after my wife drives the car and the car gets locked/unlocked.