Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuse keeps blowing regardless of its value!

My right electric seats weren't working on my '97 Box, so I check fuse box and sure enough, fuse has blown, so I replace it with a 30A (which is what is specified), move seat a little up and fuse blew. So put another in and as soon as I tapped the switch it blew. Happened 3 more times, then tried 20A, 15A, 10A, all blew. There was a 25A in there before, but obviously blew because I'm having this problem.

What could be the matter?

I had the same problem and posted the same question in the 996 forum.

For now it seems fine, I had looked under the seat and fumbled with the wires,

so I guess I must have accidentally moved the chafed wire off contact with some metal part under the seat.

I blew about 4 fuses before it finally worked, but something is not right.

So, I'm waiting till it's cooler in the garage to take the seat off and look for the fault.

Please keep me informed if you find anything. ;)

My right electric seats weren't working on my '97 Box, so I check fuse box and sure enough, fuse has blown, so I replace it with a 30A (which is what is specified), move seat a little up and fuse blew. So put another in and as soon as I tapped the switch it blew. Happened 3 more times, then tried 20A, 15A, 10A, all blew. There was a 25A in there before, but obviously blew because I'm having this problem.

What could be the matter?

You need to start from the motor then work your way back toward the switch.

1. Pull the connecter off at the motor, then try operating the switch again. If fuse no longer blows, problem is probably in the motor or maybe the drive mechanism to the seat.

2. Re-attach connection and verify if it still blows fuse. This will discount whether the wires are chafed somewhere underneath the seat. If fuse doesn't blow here, look for worn insulation on wires.

3. Remove motor from seat, connect wores and see if motor will blow fuse without being connected to the seat mechanism. If motor runs by itself, look for binding in the seat mechanism.

Also, your post makes it look like you tried going down in amperage ratings on fuses to try and solve you problem. That doesn't work. Higher numbers means more current = more power to motor. Whatever you do, do not use a fuse with a higher numeric value than the manual recommends!

• 2 weeks later...