Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Question about SSK..............

Hi:

I am thinking of installing SSK into my MY03 996 C2. After searching all possible related topics, I really wonder if there is anyone who doesn't like it? I think it is more of a personal feeling and happiness on the distance of shift than great mechanically improvement of the shifting process.

Here is the conclusion of my observation of SSK:

Pros -- shorter shift throw (the main reason of this mod), quicker shift (some say not actually because of harder shift), more accurate engagement of shift.

cons -- too hard to shift when cold (is not as smooth as original oem one), installation may ruin the cable adjustment (just a matter of carefulness), noisy when engage in gear.

I would appreciate you guys opinions. Except that, I am not very mechanically strong. I don't know if I can handle B&M mod easily. By reading the manual, I don't really know how to cut off the clip and remove the cable. So I am thinking OEm one if I will do the mod. Is there any PN for oem one ? Does it come with housing?

Thanks in advance. :renntech:

Edited by PorscheFan

• Moderators

You need to drive a car that has one.

Between Loren and I we have put in 100 of these things. Loren has one, I do not. Doesn't do anything for me. Does nothing for my driving skill, or lack thereof.

I know only one local 996 owner, Colm, who did not like the B&M unit. He ended up swapping his B&M for the stock shift from another local 996 owner. The rest of our local owners like it.

I put one of the new Porsche 997 OEM short shifters into my 2001 Boxster. I'm no mechanic, but after spending some time talking to Tool Pants and reading a lot online I was able to figure it out without breaking the car. The shifter I bought came with the housing, so no cutting

At first I was luke warm to the difference. It seemed like 75% shift reduction instead of the 25% I measured. Now it feels normal. The longer I have it the more I like it, and have changed my tune from "not worth it" to "worthwhile improvement"

Of your pros and cons, the only ones I agree with is the shorter throw (it's no faster), but don't see the cons. But then, I went with the new Porsche OEM that's all plastic like the stock, instead of the older style Porsche short shift, B&M, Snell and others that are all metal. I think the one I got also doesn't reduce the shift throw as much as the others. I don't see it as more accurate or anything (since it's not gated), and I can still shift with just one finger

See some of my earlier posts with pictures for more details, part number, etc.

Well I just changed mine yesterday. I had driven one a few years ago and did not think much of it. I got a good deal on a a b&m pre-installed in a housing so that it was a drop in, no cutting, so I figured what the heck. So I have driven it one day. The effort is definitely greater. It feels kind of neat. The throw feels a lot less. With time I will probably feel more comfortable with it. Could I live without it? Sure. It is not something I could live without. Bottom line, it is nice but not something to die for. When I get it to the track I will know if it really makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

After test driving a C2 w/SSK, I finally installed one last weekend. I am not sure if I like it in the long run. So I install a OEM one just in case. Here is my observation.

1. Shifting is more notchy. More force is needed to shift.

2. Shifting distance is shorter. Great improvement from 4th to 5th gear. This is a positive.

3. Shifting is more precise. I don't know why, the whole car feels tighter and firmer ( no laziness feel when shifting and accelerating).

I think I need to drive more to get used to it. I don't have problem shifting to first gear when cold.

During the installation process, I found several tricks.

1. to disconnect the key wire of center compartment, it is better do it right after you remove the ash tray. After removing the ash tray, you can see the wire (brown ones) go to the upper key hole. Just pull it softly before you remove the whole console to avoid breakage.

2. definitely mark the cable before you remove anything related cable linkage.

3. the metal clip of the cable and housing connect doesn't need to be removed to disconnect the cable from housing. (Step 18 on B&M manual)--Maybe mine is like that, I don't know about other people's.

This mod took me 1.5 hours, most of the time is on removing center console (almost 1 hour, maybe this is my first time). Honestly, this car is more like a "sports" car after this mod.

Thank you all for helping me. :renntech: :drive: