Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stolen front headlights

Last night at a local mall in Miami someone decided to take as a souvenir my two front headlights. Is this a common item stolen from a 99 C2. Is there anything I can do when new lights are installed to make it harder to steal.

It seems very easy and quick, the bad side is they damaged both front fenders.

Anyone with comments.

Last night at a local mall in Miami someone decided to take as a souvenir my two front headlights. Is this a common item stolen from a 99 C2. Is there anything I can do when new lights are installed to make it harder to steal.

It seems very easy and quick, the bad side is they damaged both front fenders.

Anyone with comments.

That sucks. Maybe replace them with the regular headlights rather than litronic?

It is part of the positives and negatives of living in Miami. I grew up there, still have all my family there, and brother-in-law has the lights from his '03 Cabrio stolen twice, once from his driveway at home, second time from the "secured" garage in Coral Gables where his office is. Both require repairing and repainting the front as the thieves where not gentle. He now drives a BMW.

So the harder you make it for them, the bigger the crowbar they will use. Lucky for you they didn't do it when you stopped on a red light. It has been known to happen.....

I hear you Izzy, Miami is a great place to live, you are right, I live in the Gables and sometimes I see 996 and 993 without headlights. I am lucky I was at the mall and not at a red light in Opalocka.

Anyways I am calling my insurance to get it fixed.

The problem is the harder you make them to steal, the more damage they will do...

Maybe it would be better to un-click the headlight before leaving the car unattended?... :-(

Ps. I once had a Triumph Spitfire. Never locked that thing, better if they didn´t rip the top to get into the car.

It can make a big difference where you live, even in Country Club Prado where my sister is, stolen before 10 pm in that wide, well lit street! I live "Small Town NC", and I get a kick out of Dad coming to visit from Miami, locking every window and door, turning every light outside at night, locking the cars, etc. I can't tell you Cesar how many times he locks himself out of the house, just going to the back yard! It can be funny, specially when I tell him "If we lock the house, then the neighbors can't come in and get something they need", which is true, and blows his mind.

Have you look in Ebay? May not be a bad idea to keep a spare set of second hand headlights for emergency, so you can at least drive the car. Don't have to be perfect as long as they fit.... Another places for pre-enjoyed spares which I have purchased from:

http://911pcar.com/

http://www.partsheaven.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/Redline-Service-99-Cent-Store

This last one was very easy to work with. I did not like dealing with Silver Star Recycling. Buena suerte!

Izzy

• 5 months later...

My headlights were stolen last friday 3PM at aventura mall, we need any kind of safety for them, I don't want to keep paying 500 deductible each time they steal my lights, I think Porsche should come up with some kind of recall or safety device that disables the use of the lights once they are removed from the original car.

My headlights were stolen last friday 3PM at aventura mall, we need any kind of safety for them, I don't want to keep paying 500 deductible each time they steal my lights, I think Porsche should come up with some kind of recall or safety device that disables the use of the lights once they are removed from the original car.

Where did you park? I always thought the Garage next to the movie theater was fairly secure. Miami is full of thieves. People deserve to be shot for stealing a set of $4,000 headlights.

Mind me asking do you have an alarm? did it not activate?

These things take about 15 seconds to steal, tops. Besides, when is the last time anyone actually paid attention to a car alarm in a public parking garage?