Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Please help 6 speed problems

Hi, I am trying to figure out the best plan of attack for fixing one of my babies 99' c2 6sdp.

Here's the problem when the car is cold I have difficulty getting the car to shift in 2nd gear. The climate has a direct and profound effect on this, if it's see your breath cold, it's next to impossible to get it to shift into second until the car is fully warmed up and with this I mean only second everything else is as new. I tried tracing this through possible install error of the B&M but it's set to the macrometer. The problem existed when I bought the car I assume as I don't drive this one hard(only the GT3) but it was warm when I bought the car and frigid when I found out. O.K. now you have the gist of the details. Here's the Options:

1. Replace new.

2. Replace used.

3. pray alot and install a block heater.

4. Take to Mr. Tranny and keep praying(as my understanding is that only the GT3 trans is rebuildable)

I guess I would like some help clarifying a couple of things. I heard that the 99-02 6spds. all have this problem it is an engineering fault with the syncros? So can I take a 03+ 6spd. and bolt it on??? I've done swaps with some of my other cars but not with one of these. Don't know if there's another 3G's in connectors, cables, and brackets, I need to buy to do the swap. I don't know any of the prices for the trannies in comparison, or really how to go about this for that matter but this car is my alternate DD and I really love this car. SOme one please help me! TIA JR :help:

Edited by ViolaGT3

Hi, I am trying to figure out the best plan of attack for fixing one of my babies 99' c2 6sdp.

Here's the problem when the car is cold I have difficulty getting the car to shift in 2nd gear. The climate has a direct and profound effect on this, if it's see your breath cold, it's next to impossible to get it to shift into second until the car is fully warmed up and with this I mean only second everything else is as new. I tried tracing this through possible install error of the B&M but it's set to the macrometer. The problem existed when I bought the car I assume as I don't drive this one hard(only the GT3) but it was warm when I bought the car and frigid when I found out. O.K. now you have the gist of the details. Here's the Options:

1. Replace new.

2. Replace used.

3. pray alot and install a block heater.

4. Take to Mr. Tranny and keep praying(as my understanding is that only the GT3 trans is rebuildable)

I guess I would like some help clarifying a couple of things. I heard that the 99-02 6spds. all have this problem it is an engineering fault with the syncros? So can I take a 03+ 6spd. and bolt it on??? I've done swaps with some of my other cars but not with one of these. Don't know if there's another 3G's in connectors, cables, and brackets, I need to buy to do the swap. I don't know any of the prices for the trannies in comparison, or really how to go about this for that matter but this car is my alternate DD and I really love this car. SOme one please help me! TIA JR :help:

First thing I would do is, change the gear lube with Shell Transaxle Lube you can get at the dealer. A fresh oil can make a world of problems just disappear. Do not use Mobil gear lube or any other brand. Spend the $90 or so for 3 liters of Shell from the dealer.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

Shortly after a new clutch installed by the dealer I noticed that my shifting was becoming more difficult and the clutch action was changing and especifically difficult to shift crisply when cold. I raised the car and checked a few things out. I found the two bolts that hold the front of the trans to the forward mount loose with the nuts less than finger tight. This was causing the power unit (motor and trans) to move around a lot especially when engaging the clutch. Another alarming problem is that the shift cables were not replaced in the housing holder bracket and just free floating. This made at least half of the shift with the lever wasted movement and made the new clutch feel like it was already worn out. I fixed these dealer oversights in a few minutes and now my shifting feels terrific but I do notice shifting in 2nd when cold or back to first is stiff. As the trans lube warms shifting is silky. I'd check out your cables and do a lube change.

First thing I would do is, change the gear lube with Shell Transaxle Lube you can get at the dealer. A fresh oil can make a world of problems just disappear. Do not use Mobil gear lube or any other brand. Spend the $90 or so for 3 liters of Shell from the dealer.

Hey I will definately do this I may it just done at the shop is there a trans filter involved???

Shortly after a new clutch installed by the dealer I noticed that my shifting was becoming more difficult and the clutch action was changing and especifically difficult to shift crisply when cold. I raised the car and checked a few things out. I found the two bolts that hold the front of the trans to the forward mount loose with the nuts less than finger tight. This was causing the power unit (motor and trans) to move around a lot especially when engaging the clutch. Another alarming problem is that the shift cables were not replaced in the housing holder bracket and just free floating. This made at least half of the shift with the lever wasted movement and made the new clutch feel like it was already worn out. I fixed these dealer oversights in a few minutes and now my shifting feels terrific but I do notice shifting in 2nd when cold or back to first is stiff. As the trans lube warms shifting is silky. I'd check out your cables and do a lube change.

Hmmm, not sure if the clutch was replaced, really. I will definately check on these things and I appreciate your sharing. I hope that this is not the problem. I'm in Baghdad right now and the car is having some work done to I just do not want it to have any problmes especially not the DT. Thanks

Hey I will definately do this I may it just done at the shop is there a trans filter involved???

No filter.

I had real problems with my car when it was cold and had the fluid changed to BG brand fluid. It was a huge difference in both the shifting and the prevention of the popping out of gear (2d only) when cold. Highly recommend it!

Hi BG huh never heard of it. Where can you get it and is it a specialty oil like Lucas, or what's the difference between it and Shell? This is my exact problem, it has only jumped a couple of times but I just sit and wait for it to go into second which it has never grinded it only acts as though there is something in the way in the tranny. Thanks JR

I had real problems with my car when it was cold and had the fluid changed to BG brand fluid. It was a huge difference in both the shifting and the prevention of the popping out of gear (2d only) when cold. Highly recommend it!

Hi BG huh never heard of it. Where can you get it and is it a specialty oil like Lucas, or what's the difference between it and Shell? This is my exact problem, it has only jumped a couple of times but I just sit and wait for it to go into second which it has never grinded it only acts as though there is something in the way in the tranny. Thanks JR

Stick with the Shell if you have LSD or you have to use an additive.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

Stick with the Shell if you have LSD or you have to use an additive.

Ahso say the blind man, I tinks I'll be sticken with the shell, do you use the Porsche approved 0w40?

You talking to me? :) I would never use 0W40 in any car I cared about unless the climate was regularly very cold. But, you'll get just as many arguments for the stuff.

You talking to me? :) I would never use 0W40 in any car I cared about unless the climate was regularly very cold. But, you'll get just as many arguments for the stuff.

Hmmm I have thought about this arguement myself before but all the work to my cars is done by the dealership. Simply because I haven't had the time to hit all the other little maintenance checks, and I do not really know them I'm sure they are here somewhere but even still I am in Baghdad right now so if I did find them I would probably forget by the time I got home. Ha Ha

Do you run a 5w or what?

P.S. are you running a EVOM and if you are how do you like it. My C2 is headed that direction.

Edited by ViolaGT3