Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

VERY LOUD wind noise at 210 km/h

I was on the highway last night accelerating from 100km/h and when I reached 210km/h there was a sudden, very loud noise coming from the passenger side. For a brief moment I thought there was a bike next to me honking because it was overtaking me but then I realised my car was generating the noise!

I slowed down and the sound stopped. I accelerated back to 210 and the sound was there again. My guess is that it is somehow related to the hardtop being on the car since I haven't heard anything similar without the hardtop on.

Any ideas where to look? It is not very easy to replicate the sound so I cannot do this on trial and error (I will end up in jail!).

You could try taking the hardtop off and putting back on again, in case a seal is crimped or whatever. Also see if cracking a window opens stops it or not (internal/external pressure). Finally, get a buddy in the passenger seat so they can quickly identify approximately where the noise is coming from.

Oh - and wear mechanics overalls when doing this .. I'm sorry officer, I was doing a diagnostic test.... :-)

B Pillar Weather Strip DIY

Removing side window seal

Remove the side window seal with the convertible top open and the side window extended. To do this press the microswitch in the windscreen frame and actuate the rocker switch at the same time until the side window is completely extended. Pull the side window seal down and out of the window profile.

Installing side window seal

Remove adhesive residues from above and below the window profile if present. Pull the side window seal from below into the window profile. Pull it in using soapy water as a lubricant. Clean the upper seal end (free from grease and lubricant). Coat the upper surface of the seal (1) with Loctite 480 instant adhesive and bond with the side window

profile.

Rear Window Weatherstrip

Sunset Imports Porsche: (800) 364-0182 (ask for Porsche Parts)

B-Pillar Gaskets (Left and Right)

Items: 996-543-615-03 and 996-543-616-03

$6.84/each + shipping

I had something similar happen to my old M Coupe, but at 240 km/h. It turned out to be the front windshield seal. Air pressure at those speeds have funny efects on aero and any deficiency is quicky found. I think Melchoir has it right, but if you do find someone willing to ride along, ask him to "gently push out" on the window or the windshiled. That will pin point the area where air is coming in.

I noticed the rubber shield between the hard-top and the windshield was not pressed correctly (sorry I cannot describe it any better) at a specific point at the passenger side. I fixed it by pulling it out (so that it is the same across the windshield) but I haven't had a chance to test-drive it and see if it made any difference.