Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997S steering wheel removal

:drive: Any R&R info on standard sport wheel appreciated for contemplated "thickening" and recovering by Alan Gun. No visible torx screws on rear of wheel so different than 996 procedure. Looks like trim ring around airbag can be removed, BUT, don't want to go there if incorrect 1st step. Any/all input appreciated. V. Larson

Hi,

You will need to describe your wheel since they are add ons.

The tiptonic wheel is #1432 add.

The sport wheel is #1435 add.

The Three spoke wheel is #1436 add.

This information will help.

Paul

It is from an S. Believe it is Sport (std w/ S), round airbag, silver round surround piece. TIA Van

• 2 weeks later...

post-97-1163571281_thumb.jpg

Hey, I was able to pop off the airbag by following some previous posts from here.

First I unplugged the battery and came back an hour later. I just inserted a flat head screwdriver in the little hole and the airbag popped off, I then disconnected the airbag plug from the steering wheel.

when i popped the airbag off the next 2 pictures show what I am looking at, it looks like some kind of torx hole? does anyone have any idea what the next step is?

I dont want to take this out then have a hard time re-aligning the wheel. Thanks guys.

Hey, I was able to pop off the airbag by following some previous posts from here.

First I unplugged the battery and came back an hour later. I just inserted a flat head screwdriver in the little hole and the airbag popped off, I then disconnected the airbag plug from the steering wheel.

when i popped the airbag off the next 2 pictures show what I am looking at, it looks like some kind of torx hole? does anyone have any idea what the next step is?

I dont want to take this out then have a hard time re-aligning the wheel. Thanks guys.

I believe you use a 10mm or 12mm twelve point star bit. The bolt is put in with blue loctite so it takes some effort to loosen it. Once you have taken the bolt out the wheel comes right off. :drive:

Aaron

I believe you use a 10mm or 12mm twelve point star bit. The bolt is put in with blue loctite so it takes some effort to loosen it. Once you have taken the bolt out the wheel comes right off. :drive:

Aaron

yeah, it is a 12 point T55 bit, and you retorque at 37ft lb. I was able to use a 6 point torx bit.

pretty easy once you have the tools...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
ANYONE, ANYONE ? :huh:

How about the alum-i-look blank plates to either side of the airbag, is there any special trick needed to remove them?

There are screws either side of the switch module thats covered when the airbag is installed. Actually, i just noticed that you can spot them in the above pics.

Regards

Popolou

Edited by Popolou

• 2 weeks later...

Simple to get the silver covers off with the airbag removed. Getting the airbag off can be a bit tricky as there are 4 catches two at the bottom and one either side at the top. The catches are released when you put the screwdriver in the access hole in the bottom of the wheel , it moves a metal spring , releasing the air bag catches from the metal plate you see in the pic. I think the trick is to try and remove the airbag from the top ones first. Main thing is be patient !

Edited by berty987

• 2 months later...

Where is this screw/hole you speak of to pop off airbag? Behind the wheel? Underneath the bottom front of the airbag? Woops. Never mind. Found it, and airbag is off.

Now, I can unplug the airbag wire connector plug, but the black wire harness disappears off to the right behind the plate that is held on by the 4 green torx screws. How do you disconnect that wire so the airbag and wire can be completely removed from the steering wheel?

If you got Alan Gun (AGLA) to thicken it, are you happy with it?

Edited by BlueJay73

The black harness has a connector on it, just disconnect it and remove the airbag.

If you look at my cruise control notes from a couple of posts below you can see the connector directly next to the yellow airbag connector in picture/point 7.

Where is this screw/hole you speak of to pop off airbag? Behind the wheel? Underneath the bottom front of the airbag? Woops. Never mind. Found it, and airbag is off.

Now, I can unplug the airbag wire connector plug, but the black wire harness disappears off to the right behind the plate that is held on by the 4 green torx screws. How do you disconnect that wire so the airbag and wire can be completely removed from the steering wheel?

If you got Alan Gun (AGLA) to thicken it, are you happy with it?

Edited by wizard263789

• 2 months later...

Here is a brief description.

1. Put the key in the ignition but do not rotate it to the on position

2. disconnect the battery remove the -ve terminal only and make sure the strap cannot accidentally touch the -ve post

3. Turn the steering wheel to the right by about 90 degrees

4 On the back of the wheel at the 6 o clock position is a small hole (now facing the drivers door)

5 Put a long flat bladed screwdriver into the hole so that the blade sits horizontal

6 You will feel a spring tension as the screwdriver hits the lock spring

7 Push the lock spring hard with the screwdriver, the airbag should unclip .

8 Gently pull the airbag from the wheel starting at the top between the silver trim pieces.

9 With the airbafg removed remove the central tags from the yellow and green connectors on the airbag using a small flat bladed screwdriver, this allows the main part of the connector to be pulled from the rear of the airbag

10 Unclip the smaller black tag from the rear of the airbag

12 Use a Star spline 10mm size ? to undo the center screw. Best if you have a tube to place over the end of your socket wrench to give some extra leverage.

13 Unclip the plug from the column electrics in the rear face of the wheel (orange)

14 Make a note of the wheel position on the spline by marking with a felt tip marker

15 Pull the wheel gently off the spline

16 The wheel can then be dis assembled

17 Refitting is the reverse , but you need to follow the instructions in the owners manual following battery replacement to reset the PSM and the electric windows and clock.

All told you should take no longer than about 30 mins to remove the wheel. Faster to refit once you have an idea, and you do not need to tension the release spring to put the airbag back in.