Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

C2 is a little more fun being that it's a RWD. C4 is better if you live in the snow belt. Maint on C4 will be slightly more to replace transfer case oil. I would not worry about this little extra item though.

C4 is less fuel efficient. If you do not drive in snow or don't live in snow, I would get a C2 instead.

If you do get a C4, try to get a C4S with the wide body and turbo look. It's the most sexy 996 NA out there.

Edited by djantlive

I have a C4 and love it. I do not think the C4 is less fun than a C2. The C4 is more planted and stable. The C4 is not only for snow country at all. A 911 4-wheel drive is an amazing dry road car.

The 996 C4S is looks only as it is far heavier. In a 996 I much prefer the C4, as the weight penalty is far more modest. As Paul Frere said C4S "is heavy and no go" - I agree.

I do not find any maintenance costs difference between a C4 and a C2. The AWD parts are essentially maintenance free. I do not believe the C2 is more fuel efficient (at least that one can notice).

Edited by ADias

The 996 C4S is looks only as it is far heavier. In a 996 I much prefer the C4, as the weight penalty is far more modest. As Paul Frere said C4S "is heavy and no go" - I agree.

Now, don't forget the C4S has 20+hp over the C4,

and you should look up the performance specs differences as well. :rolleyes:

• Admin

and you should look up the performance specs differences as well.

The C4S has the same engine as the C4 and the C2 - 320 hp (from MY2002).

The C4S does come with the sport suspension as stock and is (in the US version) 10mm lower. C4S also gets the larger TT (steel) brakes.

The C4S does come with the sport suspension as stock and is (in the US version) 10mm lower. C4S also gets the larger TT (steel) brakes.

But doesn't ADias have a 2000 C4? Isn't that the 3.4l with 296/300hp?

Not sure about real life but EPA mpg rating for C4 and C4S is lower than C2 esp on highway.

Not sure what's the weight difference between C2 and C

Regardless what's said, I would prefer C4S for looks and take it any day over C2 if money is no object. C4S are also harder to find.

I wouldn't disccount the C4 as merely a feature that helps in the snow. I find the C4 very planted and sure-footed. Its a different feeling from the C2 and in rainy weather its a noticable feature. I don't think the modest extra weight has any noticable difference in performance for most drivers.

I have a 2002 C2 and I love it, even though I do think the C4S looks great. But if you go by what most reviewers say, including the British Top Gear show, they typically agree that the C2 is the Carrera they'd buy.

Peter

I agree with the rain thing I live in Florida and now I can't wait for it to rain.

I also love the silver badge and calipers. Also the '99 was hand built with e-gas, 300hp (I know 4 hp) and has a stronger chassis.

argi

Also I have owned a Boxster. Loved the handling but was not a 911. There is NO substitute.

Good move no matter how you go.

Another consideration that may or may not have a slight influence on your decision, is that the C4 looses a lot of the luggage space. My 98 C2 is my everyday car and I can fit my suitcase perfectly in the luggage space. I don't think it would fit in the C4.

You forgot the C4S also gets wider rear wheels (18x11 vs 18x10) and tires (295/30 vs 285/30) with the Turbo's wider body.

AND...

The C4S also carries 276 lbs more weight than a C2 of the same year (the reason why it needs the bigger turbo brakes). With its additional weight in front and wider rear rubber in the C4S, it also understeers (pushes) a lot more than a C2 in the corners.

I agree with the comments above about choices. If you really want the turbo styling or have to drive in snow, get a C4S. Otherwise, buy the faster car: the C2.

Edited by 02 Carrera

• 4 weeks later...

Performance stats from various road tests is not the way to wisdom here. These models are so close that individual differences between cars, test venue and the weather of the day makes more of a difference than the letters on the engine lid.

There is however quite a difference in how the C2/C4/C4S drives and feels. Trying them out is the only way to rate them according to your own priorities.

My personal view:

I love the C4, but would consider a C2 if I was looking for a nice-weather-only car. More communicative steering in the C2 makes it more fun to drive at moderate speeds. The C4 needs more speed and chassi load to come alive. The caracter of the C4 is all rwd (5/95 power distribution by default) but it steers better and har noticable better drive (than C2) in damp, wet and worse conditions.

C4S is heavier, slower and less balanced in my opinion. Much more expensive, but holds its value better. And most people love its looks.

With parts and know-how you can tune the chassi on either model to behave pretty much the way you want, so don´t take comments about over- or under steer etc too seriously. It can be cured.

Edited by BjornH

I own a '99 Carrera 4, and it's a great car. As said previously, the only maintenance difference is the need to change the front differential oil, but it's once every 60k miles. There are some different part numbers - transmission, axles, etc., but for basic maintenance, 'tis the same.

There were some differences in standard equipment. At least on a '99, here is what is standard equipment on a C4 that you'd have to pay extra for on a C2:

- PSM (Porsche Stability Management), which in '99 was a little different than TC (Traction Control); but this was standard on all C4 models, and TC cost extra on C2 models

- Sunroof

- Brake calipers painted silver

- 18" Technology (turbo-twist) wheels

- Carrera 4 logo on rear deck is in silver

- major loss of trunk space due to front AWD hardware; comes w/collapsible spare + air compressor instead of compact spare; different mouting of M490 amp and CD changer

The weight penalty vs. a C2 is minimal - less than 100 lbs - and the performance difference is barely measurable, much less noticeable. As for fuel economy, I get about 21 mpg around town with my gentle feet. But on the highway, I get a stunning 33 mpg at a steady 72 mph. Cranking the speed up to a steady 85 mph drops that down to about 27.5 - 28.5 mpg range.

One of the best things about the C4 is that it's a little more rare, and it has slightly better resale value. And if you're one of those crazy track nuts, it supposedly goes faster around the Nurburgring by like 2 seconds or whatever.

I am not sure about any difference in the OEM spring/shock rates. I know that the brand-new 997 Targa 4 has a slightly softer suspension than other models, and even different than non-Targa C4 models. I don't know if the earlier (and regular non-Targa like mine) C4 models have any suspension differences. Anybody know the answer?

One more thing - I drive mine year-round. You could drive a C2 year-round as well (like my wife's Boxster), but the AWD gives you an edge. But the best thing about it is that if I switch off PSM, the car does donuts like no car I've ever driven. It's a blast!!!

Happy holidays,

Dan