Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Home built "DIY PSE"?

Hello. I have seen what the mod looks like on 3.6 mufflers, but before cutting mine up, I wanted to make sure and see it first hand so I can show the muffler shop EXACTLY what they need to do to it. I am assuming its "merely" cutting out the "sealed lid" and making a bypass pipe that connects to the pipe that goes to the tips, but again, any and every picture or detail would be more than welcome.

I removed my mufflers and running it without anything (yes, I know my bumper cover can get hot, but I am only doing maximum 5 minutes drive and off for hours). The sound is amazing (takes me back when I was growing up and RSRs were the norm), but to be truthful, its a tad too loud for a quasi daily driver, especially around this neighborhood...

Thank you in advance to all who reply.

Richard, thank you very much for your response. I did actually search Rennlist (and Pelican, and 6Speed, and Renntech!) but all I found there are the 3.6 cans I mentioned in my original post.

By looking at the pics, I noticed that the Mk2 (3.6 motors I am guessing) have the bypass from the "top circle" to the "muffler tip downpipe", yet on the Mk1 (3.4 motor) the bypass is located between the "cat converter hookup pipe" to the "muffler tip downpipe". This exact difference is the one I want to make sure I get right. I have a 98 RoW 3.4 C2 and want to make sure that I cut the muffler right as I have no replacement in case I mess it up and importing one would cost an arm and a leg.

Are these to versions of the same mod on the same can (3.4)? If so, what difference did you obtain? Assuming stock mufflers is a level 0 and muffler bypass is level 100 (sound wise), I would like something like a 60. Any ideas or suggestions? Spending more than $300 is not an option as I am tired of spending money on my car and all I need is a louder exhaust (hence me not shopping around for Cargraphic, Fabspeed, Tubi, etc.)

Edited by GOB

GOB, I felt the same way as you - I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a pair of genuine PSE's or the aftermarket equivalents. I bought a set of nearly new mufflers on eBay, and modified them as shown in the top photo by welding in 1 inch diameter stainless steel tube. This was the way that Porsche did it on their "first generation" PSE, but they put a valve in the tube to switch the bypass on and off. Because I was able to buy the new mufflers very cheaply I figured that if I didn't like the effect I could always switch them back. I was told that the "Mark 1" PSE was only suitable for 3.4 litre engines, but I don't know why.

I originally saw the modification from a couple of guys on the PCGB forum who had bought modified systems from a company in Germany called Oettle ( http://www.oettle-autodienst.de ). They have a soundfile on the site which you might want to listen to: http://www.oettle-autodienst.de/996soundfile.wmv - Oettle also sell the systems on eBay, but they say that they are suitable for 3.4 and 3.6.

My concern was that they might be "boomy" at motorway cruising speed, and also attract attention from my neighbours, as I live in a quiet dead-end road. I needn't have worried. Up to about 2000 rpm they are only marginally louder than standard, and at cruising speed they are as quiet as standard (inside the car). The real bonus is that there is a delicious roar when accelerating between about 2500 and 5000 rpm. On your scale, I guess maybe a 50 or 60 between these engine speeds.

The later Porsche PSE had the bypass as shown in the lower photo, but again it had a butterfly valve to shut it on and off. This picture was posted by one of the guys on the PCGB forum, and I havn't heard it myself, but he says it has the same effect. Again I was told that the "Mark 2" PSE is suitable for both 3.4 and 3.6 engines.

The cost of mine was a total of £150 ($280) including the mufflers, but I was lucky. I also needed a new set of clamps, as the old ones were rusted solid and I had to cut them off. It was definitely worth the effort though.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Richard, once again, thank you very much! From what I read, it looks like either version (Mk1 or Mk2) will work on my 3.4. I also downloaded the file and it was "O.K.". I just went out for a "spirited 10 minute drive to nowhere" and the sound of no mufflers is incredible. I am going to do the muffler bypass pipes at a local muffler shop and try that for a while. If its too much, then I am going to do the Mk2 version of the mod with the pic you listed. I already got a call from a neighbor asking if it was me "running around" LOL! :D :jump:

Thank you very much for your responses and pictures show.

:renntech:

Richard, once again, thank you very much! From what I read, it looks like either version (Mk1 or Mk2) will work on my 3.4. I also downloaded the file and it was "O.K.". I just went out for a "spirited 10 minute drive to nowhere" and the sound of no mufflers is incredible. I am going to do the muffler bypass pipes at a local muffler shop and try that for a while. If its too much, then I am going to do the Mk2 version of the mod with the pic you listed. I already got a call from a neighbor asking if it was me "running around" LOL! :D :jump:

Thank you very much for your responses and pictures show.

:renntech:

Hi - The 'Mk II' exhaust that Richard refers to is actually mine (Hi Richard..) - I've now put them on my 3.4 and they sound teriffic - as Richard says, a slightly deeper sound when driving normally but a much throatier roar when when hard on the gas and a 'sweet' sound at high revs when the cams are changing over ...

I keep meaning to do a sound recording - I'll post if I do ...