Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

18x10" rear wheels - tire size & fit?

What tire size are you guys using w/ an 18x10et47 wide rear wheel? I've been holding off buying since the wheels I'm considering (Wheel Dynamics LW replicas) only come in a 10" rear width. My car is a 2.5 so I'd rather not go wider than a 265/35 rear but worry that the 10" wheel will leave the tire too 'stretched'. I don't care for the euro-tuner look & would prefer to have some protection against the occasional curb bump while parking. Anyone have pictures of 265's or 275's mounted on 10" rear wheels?

So far the best compromise seems to be a 275/35-18 rear, same overall size as a 275/40-17 which many people report works just fine. The effact on gearing are the only thing from making this a no-brainer. The 2.5 already lacks grunt & the heavier wheels + taller final drive would make this worse. Subjectively, how much perceived (or better yet, measured) performance is lost w/ the taller rear tires?

The matching fronts would be either 235/40-18 or 245/35-18. Can anyone confirm or deny that these fit w/ no issues on an 18x8 ET50 front wheel? By 'no-issue' I mean absolutely no rubbing or contact w/ either the strut, liner, or outside fender. I'm hoping to maintain ~30mm stagger as this is for street use. Are the 245's wide enough to pelt the side of the car w/ road grit?

For grins, I tried fitting the 255/40-17x8.5et50 stock rears in the front last spring - rubbed the front of the inner liner during turns & barely fit under the fenders while looking down from the top. Certainly would have cause lots of rocks to hit the sides of the car.

Currently have the stock suspension installed & PSS9's in box waiting to go in. Ideally, the wheels would fit w/ both just in case the PSS9's don't work out & I change them out for ROW M030.

Thanks!

What tire size are you guys using w/ an 18x10et47 wide rear wheel? I've been holding off buying since the wheels I'm considering (Wheel Dynamics LW replicas) only come in a 10" rear width. My car is a 2.5 so I'd rather not go wider than a 265/35 rear but worry that the 10" wheel will leave the tire too 'stretched'. I don't care for the euro-tuner look & would prefer to have some protection against the occasional curb bump while parking. Anyone have pictures of 265's or 275's mounted on 10" rear wheels?

So far the best compromise seems to be a 275/35-18 rear, same overall size as a 275/40-17 which many people report works just fine. The effact on gearing are the only thing from making this a no-brainer. The 2.5 already lacks grunt & the heavier wheels + taller final drive would make this worse. Subjectively, how much perceived (or better yet, measured) performance is lost w/ the taller rear tires?

The matching fronts would be either 235/40-18 or 245/35-18. Can anyone confirm or deny that these fit w/ no issues on an 18x8 ET50 front wheel? By 'no-issue' I mean absolutely no rubbing or contact w/ either the strut, liner, or outside fender. I'm hoping to maintain ~30mm stagger as this is for street use. Are the 245's wide enough to pelt the side of the car w/ road grit?

For grins, I tried fitting the 255/40-17x8.5et50 stock rears in the front last spring - rubbed the front of the inner liner during turns & barely fit under the fenders while looking down from the top. Certainly would have cause lots of rocks to hit the sides of the car.

Currently have the stock suspension installed & PSS9's in box waiting to go in. Ideally, the wheels would fit w/ both just in case the PSS9's don't work out & I change them out for ROW M030.

Thanks!

i've run 265/35's, 275/35's and 285/30's. i prefer the 275 since it's generally got a higher load rating than the 265 and is far cheaper than the 285 since the aspect ratio is still 35 (when you drop to 30 aspect ratio, the price goes way up)

• 3 months later...

I'm looking at some Carrera 5 spokes: 10jx18 h2 et65 alloy wheels , with 265/35zr18 tyres for a 03my boxster S!

Will they fit ok or will i need spacers! not really sure about suitable sizes safe to use etc! (these wheels are originally from a 996)

Just got a set of OEM Carrera 5 spokes with reasonable tires which i could not ignore at a great price, No coloured centres though, but cant complain.

8j50et 225x40x18 front

10j65et 285x30x18 rear

I have a set of 18mm spacers which came with the wheels, the calculator does say there is 36mm LESS inner clearance?

will probably put a couple of new tires on before i fit,

not sure if i will need a set of spacers for the front?? 5mm??

anyone used these sizes?! any problems? tramlining? rubbing?

Can i use the coloured centres from the standard boxsterII 17" wheels?

Edited by chillo

I assume the 36mm LESS is before the spacers? That's the problem, you can't physically locate them on the hub as you hit the strut behind the hub.

I'd try the wheels on the car before buying new tyres just to check, it'll only take a couple of hours.

Fairly sure you won't require spacers, again, give it a go first.

18"is not approved for 1997 cars, how old is yours?

You can swap the 17" centres over to the new wheels.

Piccies if you can manage them when you are finished :)

I assume the 36mm LESS is before the spacers? That's the problem, you can't physically locate them on the hub as you hit the strut behind the hub.

I'd try the wheels on the car before buying new tyres just to check, it'll only take a couple of hours.

Fairly sure you won't require spacers, again, give it a go first.

18"is not approved for 1997 cars, how old is yours?

You can swap the 17" centres over to the new wheels.

Piccies if you can manage them when you are finished :)

Its an 03my 'S'

I'm assuming that the 36mm figure is before the spacers, i just entered the stock size (8.5j et48/50) and the 18's size (10j et65) into the calculator and thats what it says.

I paid £530 for the 4 wheels/tires +spacers/bolts so i thought its worth a punt!

will post piccies, here is stock:

19032007027aop4.jpg

will try the wheels sometime this week.

Just got a set of OEM Carrera 5 spokes with reasonable tires which i could not ignore at a great price, No coloured centres though, but cant complain.

8j50et 225x40x18 front

10j65et 285x30x18 rear

I have a set of 18mm spacers which came with the wheels, the calculator does say there is 36mm LESS inner clearance?

will probably put a couple of new tires on before i fit,

not sure if i will need a set of spacers for the front?? 5mm??

anyone used these sizes?! any problems? tramlining? rubbing?

Can i use the coloured centres from the standard boxsterII 17" wheels?

my rears are the same size and offset; i use 21mm spacers. anything much less would hit the struts.

Edited by insite

my rears are the same size and offset; i use 21mm spacers. anything much less would hit the struts.

You are correct!!

With the wheels i just got where a set of 18mm spacers, put the wheels on tonight and they rub the strut!!

Going to see if i can get some 21mm spacers tomorrow!!

You are correct!!

With the wheels i just got where a set of 18mm spacers, put the wheels on tonight and they rub the strut!!

Going to see if i can get some 21mm spacers tomorrow!!

FYI, any Porsche hubcentric spacers for 911's, 944's, etc will fit. i got mine off ebay for like $20. i got the bolts from german parts and restoration.

FYI, any Porsche hubcentric spacers for 911's, 944's, etc will fit. i got mine off ebay for like $20. i got the bolts from german parts and restoration.

Just had a look under the arches and the handbrake cable was touching on both sides, pushed them out of the way and it seems to be ok on the r/h side but on the l/h side the actual wheel is only just scraping the shock.

Should i just run it and the scraping might clear after it has rubbed for a few miles? (i'm talking hair width that is touching)

Edited by chillo

Just had a look under the arches and the handbrake cable was touching on both sides, pushed them out of the way and it seems to be ok on the r/h side but on the l/h side the actual wheel is only just scraping the shock.

Should i just run it and the scraping might clear after it has rubbed for a few miles? (i'm talking hair width that is touching)

nope. as your wheel bearings get old, there will be some play in the hub. you will damage the strut when you hit bumps, etc. get the right spacers.

nope. as your wheel bearings get old, there will be some play in the hub. you will damage the strut when you hit bumps, etc. get the right spacers.

Sorry, ignore my last post! serious brainfart there! :)

So do they fit with 18mm spacers? I am curious as that is what I bought from Jasmine Motorsport at their suggestion.

UPDATE!

Put the standard wheels back on and there is still a scraping noise! but only from l/h side as with the 18" wheels! argh!!

Take the l/h side rear wheel off and i cant see anything catching?

Take caliper off, remove the disk and some pieces of spring fall out! (2 springs)

I'm assuming they are from the handbrake assembly???

here is a pic:springfy0.jpg

what are they for? Can i disable the handbrake on one side until i get some new springs depending on if they are needed??

The 18mm spacers i have are from Jasmine too!

pic with the wheels fitted!

05042007038ic1.jpg

So it would appear the wheels do fit with 18mm spacers!!

ps

sorry for the thread hijack!

Edited by chillo