Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

It's surprising there isn't something like VAG-COM (which I use frequently on my VW-Audi products with much success) for Porsches. I'd think there would be a big market for it. Couldn't find anything like that for BMW's either...

Guess it's like everthing else for a Porsche- costs 10X more than the same thing for regular cars! Must be something unique though as the VAG-COM is an aftermarket deal not authorized by VW-Audi as they have their own in house system. No one has made one for Porsche other than the "official" system of which you speak. Don't you also have to buy upgrades for the PSTS which are also VERY $$$$? Also the Toureg can be modded with the VAG-COM while the Cayenne needs the PSTS unfortunately...

• Moderators

I did not know the VAG-COM was aftermarket. I thought it was the one used by the VW/Audi dealers show in the first picture I took at my Porsche/Audi dealer, but now I see it is different.

A year subscription of software upgrades for the PST2 is $2,500. That plus the cost of the PST2 is a very expensive investment for a small independent shop. It is a simple windows based notebook computer. Any hackers out there?

rmg_tech_072.jpg

pst2.jpg

My older son is a whiz with computers (his father did NOT pass that gene to him unfortunately)- if I had access to the Porsche system, I'd turn him loose!! If it worked he could probably finance his college education!

• 3 years later...
My older son is a whiz with computers (his father did NOT pass that gene to him unfortunately)- if I had access to the Porsche system, I'd turn him loose!! If it worked he could probably finance his college education!

Has anyone made any progress with this? My father has access to this stuff for GM, Ford and Chry products, but not yet for the Porsche. I also have a 2008 Silverado that he reprogramed the PCM and it made huge differences! They have dyno results that show 65 HP gains along with 2-3 mpg gains on the 6.0L GM! Increadible gains for the price (about 350 bucks) and completely programable for different octane, tire, tranny...

I have been looking for something along these lines for the Cayenne, but to no avail....

So not only more HP but better MPG... I'm sure the emissions are lower also. Those guys at GM must not know what they are doing.

Yeah, it's the same everywhere. Porsche, Merc, BMW, GM..... all the same. Someone who really understands timing, fuel delivery, combustion et al can really make impressive improvements to factory settings with little more than the right program and a cheap laptop...

sure wish we could find that computer hacker for the Porsche........... I might be willing to donate to the "hacker fund" if it was a realistic possiblity....

• Admin

The people that know how to get in and out of the DME(s) is Durametric. They did/do the research to make their excellent code reader/diagnostic tool work very well.

My guess is they know the ins and outs but are not likely to want to take responsibility for you re-programming your car and blowing up the engine. I wouldn't want that responsibility either.

I got the bluetooth version of this one:

http://www.obdkey.com/vehiclediagnostics.asp

I'm not real impressed with the amount of data it can pull from my Cayenne, but it works on nearly all cars/trucks in the US. (Ford F150, Lexus SC430, Mercedes SLK tested so far, can at least read basic codes and exhaust information)

As far as I know personally, OBD2 readers can only read information and reset some engine codes. No real testing or tuning can be done (I've never witnessed or read about any, at least)