Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Latest project - leather door pull covers

I bought some leather with the intention of covering the armrest lids similar to what was done on Rainy Day Garage's website - but after thinking more about it I decided to cover these with leather as well. It was kind of a pain but I think it turned out pretty well. Why Porsche chose to use so much cheap, badly painted plastic in these interiors is beyond me.

Complements a full leather interior very well, I think.

Okay, on to the armrest lids! :)

post-7203-1166281200_thumb.jpg

post-7203-1166281208_thumb.jpg

Looks very nice! Where did you purchase the leather and what type of adhesive did you use to attach it to the piece? I'd be interested in doing my door pocket covers in leather.

eBay. I took a chance and just bought some. It was $20 shipped for a roughly 2' by 2' section. Easily enough to do two cars worth of door pull covers and door pocket covers, which is the plan.

The grain is almost identical to the factory full leather doors, but the color is slightly less glossy. Over time, I'm sure it will get glossier.

The reason they do that is because people inharintly never look where they are grabbing for the door handle, and always have other things in their hands at the same time (keys, etc) and if that were covered in leather originally it would get horibly scratched from people who are not paying attention (which is a lot of people) and look horible. If your careful it will never be scratched but can you image it like that in cars for the masses? THey would look horible.

Think about this. Ever notice the key holes on cars without keyless entry? They are always scratched a lot and in a huge area around the key hole. I see them all the time with 30-40 scratches sometimes 3-4" away from the key hole on all sides. Seriously who are these people trying to unlock doors and missing by 3"s? I mean, really?

The reason they do that is because people inharintly never look where they are grabbing for the door handle, and always have other things in their hands at the same time (keys, etc) and if that were covered in leather originally it would get horibly scratched from people who are not paying attention (which is a lot of people) and look horible. If your careful it will never be scratched but can you image it like that in cars for the masses? THey would look horible.

Hm, interesting. Your hand is nowhere near this part when you're opening the door. Actually, one would be much more likely to scratch the panel *behind* the door handle, which is already leather in my car (and shows no damage I might add). Hey, this is an option on the 987 from the factory!

How is your hand no where near it? Your refering to the big black piece right above the silver handle that basically integrates the silver handle into it? When you reach for it with yoru phone in your ear and you have 3" finger nails guess whats gonna get it?

I trust you clip your nails tho eh John? Then you should be safe ;)

How is your hand no where near it? Your refering to the big black piece right above the silver handle that basically integrates the silver handle into it? When you reach for it with yoru phone in your ear and you have 3" finger nails guess whats gonna get it?

I trust you clip your nails tho eh John? Then you should be safe ;)

you have 3" fingernails?!! time to get yourself a pair of clippers, my friend! :lol: