Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New 987S Owner

Hi,

been lurking on these forums over the last few days and found you all to be an informative and helpful lot! Just purchased my 2005 Boxster S and have a few questions:

1. Noticed that at idle my car sounds rather rattlley and makes ticking type noises even when warm, is this a common Boxster trait?

2. After driving around town for 30mins and leaving my car I can smell a burning type smell coming from the driver side vent on the outside of the car, any ideas?

3. Noticed the oil check to be inconsistent, on some level surfaces it shows full and others it shows down th the 1/3 mark!

4. Car becomes two years old in March but the service countdown has already begun and is on 28 days!?

5. Where can I find out more info on the pending recalls on my car as my local Porsche dealers systems are currently down.

Thanks in advance,

Waz

Hello and welcome to the nut house!

1. Usual Porsche sounds for the engines. Its the tappets before the oil gets to them. However, there was a recall for a replacement oil piston valve that caused a slight rattle for the first 15 minutes during warm up before it gets to operating temperature. The symptoms are rattle from start directly behind you (on drivers side, UK) and a louder rattling/screeching sound @ 2,100rpm. If this is the case then instruct them to carry out the recall for this. See 5.

2. The vent on the right side of the car is the engine bay fan intake. I personally have not smelt anything remotely similar so it might be a good idea to have a peek into the engine bay to confirm all is well.

3. The oil check should only be read when the car is on stable flat ground and after its been left for either a long while or 30-40 mins after switch off. It is indeed suceptible to gradients and tend to read full when the car is tilted forward and may flash empty if tilted back.

4. The service indicator is dependant on the when the ECU considers it to be the right time to service. This is determined by the internal sensors and readings it collects. Many OPC's however recommend taking the car in when its due by calendar rather than by the display.

5. Renntech does a superb table listing of all the recalls carried out for each model. Try the Quickmenu above and select Current TSB (Technical Service Bulletins).

Regards and enjoy!

Popolou

Hello and welcome to the nut house!

1. Usual Porsche sounds for the engines. Its the tappets before the oil gets to them. However, there was a recall for a replacement oil piston valve that caused a slight rattle for the first 15 minutes during warm up before it gets to operating temperature. The symptoms are rattle from start directly behind you (on drivers side, UK) and a louder rattling/screeching sound @ 2,100rpm. If this is the case then instruct them to carry out the recall for this. See 5.

2. The vent on the right side of the car is the engine bay fan intake. I personally have not smelt anything remotely similar so it might be a good idea to have a peek into the engine bay to confirm all is well.

3. The oil check should only be read when the car is on stable flat ground and after its been left for either a long while or 30-40 mins after switch off. It is indeed suceptible to gradients and tend to read full when the car is tilted forward and may flash empty if tilted back.

4. The service indicator is dependant on the when the ECU considers it to be the right time to service. This is determined by the internal sensors and readings it collects. Many OPC's however recommend taking the car in when its due by calendar rather than by the display.

5. Renntech does a superb table listing of all the recalls carried out for each model. Try the Quickmenu above and select Current TSB (Technical Service Bulletins).

Regards and enjoy!

Popolou

Thanks for the detailed response! I don't have the dreaded 2100 rpm issue, but find when my car is fully warm I still hear a tick, tick, tick noise...My car is going in for some recall work so will get it checked out then and see what they have to say. Performs and operates prefectly fine though and has been a joy to drive!

OK, now this is strange!:

2. After driving around town for 30mins and leaving my car I can smell a burning type smell coming from the driver side vent on the outside of the car, any ideas?

I have a new (600km's) 2006 and I smell the same thing when I get out of the car, I thought it was the newness of the rear pads and calipers heating up?

I don't notice if it is all of the time though, you know how it is as soon as I decide to drop by the dealer it won't be doing it.