Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Whirring noise from A/C coming from front..

2002 996 Cab C2, 24000 miles.

A minute or so after I turn on the A/C in my car, I get a whirring/whining noise which seems to be coming from in front of the dashboard - from inside it sounds like it's coming from the battery compartment. The noise is engine speed dependent, and once it starts it can be turned on or off via the A/C switch. It's obviously A/C related, but does anyone have any idea what it could be? I'm hoping it's nothing more serious than that coolant needs topping up (is there any way to check this myself) but I suppose it could be something worn or broken...

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Graham

I had similar symptoms (although not continuous) and the OPC and I believe it was the small intake fan for the A/C system sensor on the passenger side for sensing the interior environment. The thought was some foam or trim behind the dashboard was catching on the blades. The sound was reminiscent of small ball bearings rattling in a plastic container. I just turned up the volume on the CD/radio to compensate!!!

The problem seems to have fixed itself otherwise I think it woud have been dashboard removal.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

John

Hi Graham,

As the problem you describe: -

1. Can be started and stopped by turning on and off the A/C system

2. Doesn't vary with air circulation fan speed

3. Sounds like a bearing rumbling

would back up my suggestion that it's the intake fan to suck air in for A/C cabin environment sensing function.

When I had my symptoms the sound seemed to come from inside the dashboard somewhere between the driver's end of the passenger side airbag cover and the central binnacle for the A/C controls, radio etc.

If you put your ear to the round aperture on the passenger side of the dashboard (as shown in attached photo)can you hear the sound more clearly?

Rgds

John

post-15363-1168198009_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johnnyceesred

The noise sounds (unfortunately) more like a rumbling bearing, and doesn't vary with the fan speed. I can't track down its exact location, but it does seem to be coming from deep in the center of the dashboard....

graham,

You could remove the cabin filter which is accessed through a cover under the glove box on the passenger side. Once you remobve the cabin filter you can access the fan and it can be removed by removing three mounting screws. there must be a DIY set of instructions for this procedure move detailed than my instructions. Using this technique may avoid a complete dash removal, which I undwerstand is a rather major project.

Good luck!!

Demosan

The noise sounds (unfortunately) more like a rumbling bearing, and doesn't vary with the fan speed. I can't track down its exact location, but it does seem to be coming from deep in the center of the dashboard....

graham,

You could remove the cabin filter which is accessed through a cover under the glove box on the passenger side. Once you remobve the cabin filter you can access the fan and it can be removed by removing three mounting screws. there must be a DIY set of instructions for this procedure move detailed than my instructions. Using this technique may avoid a complete dash removal, which I undwerstand is a rather major project.

Good luck!!

Demosan

graham,

My original note I sent yesterday is incorrect in providing info as to how t oaccess the cabin filter. The info I sent you pertains to a MB SUV. I was in a MB owners forum and got my signals crossed.

Sorry for the confusion!!

Demosan