Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

First off, thanks to all for posting on this forum, it's been a great help as I go down the road towards purchasing my first porsche.

I recently had a PPI done (at a dealership) on a 99 C4 (11/98 build) with 75,000 kms. It came back with a few minor issues and the following 3 "major" items - otherwise it checked out okay.

1. RMS leaking - it's not a "dripping on the floor" leak but was noted by the mechanic. I've read lots on the issue, but the question is - if it's not that bad can it be left as is until the clutch needs changing? Is there a possibility the leak could cause further damage? The service rep. told me if left unfixed it could damage the clutch/transmission?? (looking at the service records the seal has never been changed on the car)

2. Both vario cam seals leaking - I've not read anything on this, is it serious?

3. Coolant flange on the engine is leaking - This one concerns me the most as the service rep could not give me an estimate on the fix. He just stated the mechanic noted some dried coolant residue in that area. Could this be a sign of a serious problem, ie cracked block, etc?? I also realize it might be a simple problem (loose hose type thing)??

Just looking for comments if anyone has experience or insight on the above

thanks,

That is about right, manage the risk for the reward. Depending on the price, it could be a good deal or a nightmare. My opinion, I would keep looking, even if the price was right, too much to worry about. The coolant more than anything is the wildcard.

I too would keep looking as there are a LOT of 996s out there for sale. If you insist on going forward with this one (or any other) I would strongly suggest an after-market warranty. They are normally 2-3K but if something significant goes wrong that the PPI does NOT find, you are covered minus a small deductible. And no, I have no affiliation with any insurance companies, if fact, I despise the idea of how much money I have paid in insurance over the course of my car owning life.....scary numbers.

Anyway, here are a couple: waranties 4 wheels or warranty direct.

Good Luck!

RMS-IMHO can wait till you change clutch. unless it really really leaks it is hard to see how damage could be done. labour for new clutch is the same as cost of new clutch. RMS cost is negligeble and all costs are in labour (labour of clutch change and some extra). so do the math. damaging transamission is even harder to see.

P.S. question to Porsche experts. why dont porsche just make a hole at the bottom so that oil which is leaked from RMS can just drip out of clutch casing?

Not meaning to counter you, MechE, but Warranties-4Wheels will do cars past the thresholds you mention. I did use them for my 99 Cabrio. The negative side is that they are just a broker and will sell your policy to someone else and you can get very BAD results. From my own personal experience with them, would not recommend that route.

By the way, Mechanical Engineers are the smartest people on earth, ask me how I know.

Izzy

ME '83

MS ME '96

Mechanical Engineers are the kings of jimmy rigging , ask me how i know .... run away if a Mechanical Engineer is doing the up keep on anything ..haha j/k

ME's, Let see, James Watt, steam engine; Leonardo DaVinci; The Wright brothers although not classically trained, GW Roebling, Brooklyn Bridge, And for god or bad, the guys that designed our P-cars are predominantly ME's With out the ME, life would be rather boring. ME's rule, at least better than the EE's.

BSME 82

Mechanical Engineers are the kings of jimmy rigging , ask me how i know .... run away if a Mechanical Engineer is doing the up keep on anything ..haha j/k

True, very true, but I prefer the term "imaginative problem solving" instead of jury rig or jimmy rigging. I can still hear my brother-in-law going "what the hell are you doing with that?!", in reference to my many "fixes". Then again, he is an Industrial Engineer, what do they know about the properties of duct tape and bailing wire.......?

I forgot to mention that I got that data from warranty direct wich many people recomended (including PCA). I have only heard good things about them..

Glad to see some ME in the board.. most people here are Doctors, Lawyers and Business guys...

Some people say that there are no ME's in hell... they know because is soo hot down there. If any of us could get there we would have designed some kind of HVAC to cool the place down using all that heat :clapping:

ME's, Let see, James Watt, steam engine; Leonardo DaVinci; The Wright brothers although not classically trained, GW Roebling, Brooklyn Bridge, And for god or bad, the guys that designed our P-cars are predominantly ME's With out the ME, life would be rather boring. ME's rule, at least better than the EE's.

BSME 82

I'd like to nominate my hero, IK Brunel.

(Off topic I know, but I couldn't resist)

I forgot to mention that I got that data from warranty direct wich many people recomended (including PCA). I have only heard good things about them..

Glad to see some ME in the board.. most people here are Doctors, Lawyers and Business guys...

Some people say that there are no ME's in hell... they know because is soo hot down there. If any of us could get there we would have designed some kind of HVAC to cool the place down using all that heat :clapping:

Sent you a long email with the real reason as to why ME's are not allowed in hell.......

• 1 year later...

A dated follow up, but I did finally buy a 996 (late build 99, silver/black, 6spd coupe), almost a year after I started looking. I was patient and found pretty much exactly what I was looking for, and am quite happy so far, so I do advocate patience for anyone who is searching. I actually bought from a private seller on e-bay. With a small deposit on the line, I flew down, did a final inspection & test drive, (& most importantly met the owner), paid the balance then drove it 8 hours home. After a year of research & looking, I figured I knew what to look for, + I had already resolved that there was a chance I'd need to replace the engine at some time, (which a PPI usually wont predict). I appreciate all the help from this forum. I'll be posting any info I can help with on this board as I settle into ownership