Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Key Problem

skymast

I have an 02 TT and am hving problems with the remote key. Here is the situation:

Key has a good battery, light indicator works when buttons are pushed. However, it is not communicating with the car.

I can lock the car manually with the key. When I do so, the doors lock AND I hear a single chirp. The alarm indicator light on the dash is Red which I believe is correct.

Any thoughts?

Regards, Mark

First try to reset the key fob by unlocking the car with the key and then immediately hit the unlock button on the key fob (remote will disable after 5 days of no use). Second thing to try is another reset where you remove the batteries on the key fob, place the battery in reverse polarity for 10 seconds and then re-install the battery correctly. If these things don't wotrk, I'm afraid the next solution is to go to the dealer and get it re-programmed.

Most common are the center console latch and the front hood microswitch.

A PST2 or PIWIS will certainly tell you and I think the Durametrtic Software will tell you also.

I ordered the durametric software a few days ago.

Bought the Durametric to help trouble shoot my alarm / key issue. Any idea where to start ....Here are the results:

9X6 Alarm Selected

About to get fault codes

moduleType = AlarmI32

dtcCount = 9

Fault Number: 25

Description: No terminal 86 S Recognized

Repair Infomation: Check fuse F 5/1

Repair Infomation: Status: Not present

Repair Infomation: Number of times DTC present: 1

dtcCount = 9

Fault Number: 16

Description: No unlocking of doors in the event of an accident

Repair Infomation: Signal from airbag short to B+

dtcCount = 9

Fault Number: 47

Description: No central locking possible

Repair Infomation: Central locking synchronization

dtcCount = 9

Fault Number: 34

Description: No passenger compartment monitoring

Repair Infomation: Interior monitoring sensor short to B+ or faulty

dtcCount = 9

Fault Number: 10

Description: Alarm system/central locking system without function

Repair Infomation: Voltage failure at terminal 30 with alarm system active

dtcCount = 9

Fault Number: 60

Description: Central locking limit position locked not reached

Repair Infomation: Switch for central locking is faulty

Repair Infomation: Number of times DTC present: 22

dtcCount = 9

Fault Number: 42

Description: No engine start possible

Repair Infomation: Wrong key or wrong transponder pill

Repair Infomation: Number of times DTC present: 8

dtcCount = 9

Fault Number: 54

Description: Tilt sensor not in normal position

Repair Infomation: Check for additional alarm system not installed correctly

Repair Infomation: Number of times DTC present: 13

dtcCount = 9

Fault Number: 33

Description: No passenger compartment monitoring

Repair Infomation: Interior monitoring sensor faulty

Repair Infomation: Number of times DTC present: 13

-----------------------------------------------

9X6 Airbag Selected

About to get fault codes

moduleType = AirbagB05

dtcCount = 2

Fault Number: 3

Description: Supply voltage

Repair Infomation: This code indicates that the power has been interrupted.

dtcCount = 2

Fault Number: 1

Loren --

1) Control Box. Found it. No moisture, wires seem to be in good shape. H/ever, I am assuming I need to take the seat out if the problem isnt somewhere else ....

2) Fault Codes. If I isolate them it looks like:

33/34: The pasenger compartment sensor is faulty. As I understand it, this is probably causing the chirp BUT it is not the reason the remote wont work

42: Not sure about this one but I am assuming that this would be b/c my remote key wont electronically unlook the doors. Also, the car starts.

54: No Idea what a tilt sensor is .... any idea?

16: Assuming this is somehow realted to the airbag. As I started going through this mess, I noticed that the airbag light it OUT. I would like to think it is burned out but I dont think I will be this lucky

47/60/10: these seem to be the sweet spot of the problem.

THoughts on what I shoud try next?

Edited by skymast

• Admin

If you decide to take the seat out make sure the key is NOT in the ignition - or you will get an airbag light. Just putting the key in the ignition (not even on) activates the airbag circuit.

Fault 33/34 is fairly common and we suspect that the sensor has seen some movement just prior arming. I would not be very worried about this one as it usually does not mean a problem.

Fault 42 - Do you have a second key to try? This will let you know if the transponder is working or not in the first key. If the second key works then that says the problem is in the first key. If the second key does not work then you are back to the control unit.

Fault 54 - What year is your car? and is your car US/Canada or RoW? (US cars do not have the tilt sensor).

Fault 16 - The airbag should light when you first turn the ignition key to "on". If it does not then the bulb is likely out.

Faults 47/60/10 - The result from the second key test will be important here because many of these are also transponder errors. If the second key works then the first key is bad. If the second key does not work either then - assuming no damaged cables or loose connections the control box is likely bad. If that is the case you will need a PST2 or PIWIS to transfer the program (including key codes) to the new control box.

Hope this helps some...

Many thanks .....

It's an 02 TT USA. I am getting the fault codes from my new Durametric (thanks for the tip, I should have bought sooner, it was $247 but well worth it). Probably a few code bugs b/c it is for sure a US model.

In terms of the Keys, the real testing issue is that I only have one. I ordered a second so I will have them both programmed / reprogrammed next week and I will try to have them clear the alarm codes as well.

Any idea what a control box costs? If its big money, safe to asume I can buy it from Sunset, install it, and then take it to the dealer to have it programmed?

Finally, I do want to get rid of the chirp. where is the sensor for the passenger compartment?

Regards, Mark

• Admin

I show a new control unit (996.618.262.03) has an MSRP of $346.10. But, like we said it would need to be programmed by a dealer. For legal reasons only a dealer can do that.

If you are getting a chirp is could be the passenger compartment motion sensor - not too common but still possible.

Knowing what we know now (many fault codes) I would sort the key and control box first since a bad control box could certainly cause all kind of crazy things.

• 2 weeks later...