Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suspension Upgrade

I Have H&R Sport springs with OEM shocks, the ride is hard and bouncy, I like to know some factual opinions in the following coilover shocks

H&R Coilovers , PSS9 Bilstein, or any other system

I want to change my current set up ASAP, my goal is to have a good daily drive more than a track car.

Any help will be fantastic.

I Have H&R Sport springs with OEM shocks, the ride is hard and bouncy, I like to know some factual opinions in the following coilover shocks

I want to change my current set up ASAP, my goal is to have a good daily drive more than a track car.

Well your definatly going to want to change the springs to something alittle less stiff that wont ruin your lowered stance. But the Shocks, Bilsteins are good, they improve ride quality and are self adjusting.

Well I have the JIC Cross coil overs with medium spring rate on my light C2. I use it as a daily driver and ocasional track, but most people would say that the ride is VERY rough. Personally I love it.

The problem you are having is due to the shocks 'sweet spot' being outside of that of the HR springs. Basically the shocks are not able to control the stiffer springs.

Read this -from PCA Panorama

996 Standard and Sport Suspensions Analyzed

The article is a clear, concise analysis by Russ Dickerson, Bob Gagnon, and Mike Schatz of modern Porsche suspension geometry, physics and how the two interact. I found it very helpful in understanding how the suspension works and how to meet my needs - an aggressive but compliant system for my 986 everyday driver.

I have ROW 030 on my Boxster (Porsche Rest of World Sports Suspension) . Before I installed it, I drove 3 other well prepared cars one with Eibachs and US ROW shocks, one with Gemballa coilovers, and one with H&Rs and stock shocks. The latter rode as you describe, the Gemballas were just too severe for Los Angeles's mean streets and the Eibach car was too low - I couldn't navigate my garage apron at all or (easily) the parking lots in Beverly Hills where I work.

To each his own- in other words, try to drive a number of different variations. I honestly don't know anyone who has installed ROW030 and was unhappy with the choice. I do know two who wanted something more radical and eventually installed coilovers (with the heavier ROW 030 stabilizers). I look at it this way: Who other than Porsche knows how to make a better handling Porsche for the street?

The coilovers you mention and the PSS9s are great for track. If I ever retire the Boxster to Garage Queen/Track car, I will go with coilovers but, for now as a daily driver, ROW 030 is perfect for my needs. If you decide to 'mix and match' make sure that you upgrade the stabilizers (sway bars) either with ROW 030 or the heavier, adjustable GT3 stabilizers.

Hope this helps - there's nothing better than the first few drives on familiar roads in your newly modified Porsche.

Edited by LemmyCaution

I was quoted a brand new ROW 030 with sway bars , shocks and springs for $975.00, they say I will lower the car 10mm. What do you guys think

great price I think

It is a good price -

ROW030 lowered the Boxster approx 3/4inch in the front and 1/2 inch in the rear. In 40,000 miles and 5 years, it has settled out a little more - approx 1 inch in the front 3/4 in the rear. I think the 996 stats are the same.

Ever notice 9x6 Porsches at speed? The front end tends to 'sit up' a little. Lowering the front a little more than the rear corrects this tendency. I assume the purpose is to prevent lift and provide a little more downforce on the front.

Make sure you get it installed by a good alignment resource - the guy I use here in L.A. does what he calls a 'moderately aggressive' street setup. It gives crisper turn-in and a little more negative camber in the rear but not so much as to negatively impact tire wear.

See if you can find someone locally who has this setup and go for a ride/drive. OTOH, I don't think you'll be unhappy and you can always go with something more aggressive later - you're going to need the stabilizers anyway. If you want to get 'tweaky' you can get the GT3 stabilizer.