Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Camber / inside wear?

I installed the ROW M030 and had my car aligned at Porsche approx one year ago, and noticed that the inside portion of my rear tires (285's) is wearing much faster than normal.

I was wondering if Porsche sells a different piece for ROW cars that is more adjustable that the ones on our US cars?

It is significant enough that I am thinking of going back to stock 265's as well to see if that helps... What I don't want to do is pay for an alignment and new set of tires every year...

Suggestions?

Paul

You mention that the inside wear is more than normal. Inside wear IS normal when you have a negative camber setting as per Porche's specs. The only way to reduce this uneven wear is to reduce the amount of camber. For street driving, you will not notice any difference in handling and your tires will last much longer. Your uneven wear will be the same whether you run 265's or 315's.

• 1 month later...
You mention that the inside wear is more than normal. Inside wear IS normal when you have a negative camber setting as per Porche's specs. The only way to reduce this uneven wear is to reduce the amount of camber. For street driving, you will not notice any difference in handling and your tires will last much longer. Your uneven wear will be the same whether you run 265's or 315's.

May I jack into this thread please?

This weekend I pulled the rims to do a cleaning and noticed some unusual wear on all 4 tires.

The rears are in need of replacing soon and are smooth on the inside but according to this thread, the rear wear is normal.

But the fronts....now the fronts have a wear pattern on the inside that looks like cupping to me. That would certainly explain the recent hint of shaking on some really smooth streets. The car doesn't pull left or right at all but can there still be some way for me to know when the aligment is off before seeing wear?

(996 targa)

May I jack into this thread please?

This weekend I pulled the rims to do a cleaning and noticed some unusual wear on all 4 tires.

The rears are in need of replacing soon and are smooth on the inside but according to this thread, the rear wear is normal.

But the fronts....now the fronts have a wear pattern on the inside that looks like cupping to me. That would certainly explain the recent hint of shaking on some really smooth streets. The car doesn't pull left or right at all but can there still be some way for me to know when the aligment is off before seeing wear?

(996 targa)

Good chance your toe is off in the front.

And don't forget to rotate those puppies.

I installed the ROW M030 and had my car aligned at Porsche approx one year ago, and noticed that the inside portion of my rear tires (285's) is wearing much faster than normal.

I was wondering if Porsche sells a different piece for ROW cars that is more adjustable that the ones on our US cars?

It is significant enough that I am thinking of going back to stock 265's as well to see if that helps... What I don't want to do is pay for an alignment and new set of tires every year...

Suggestions?

Paul

Paul, I too have the same wear pattern you describe in your note on the rears of my 02 C4S ( 295's). I am close to getting new tires and plan to set the negative camber in the rears to the minimum of the Porsche spec as I do not trackl the car where the negative camber helps with lateral traction and handling. my car has 26K miles and the fronts are original and the rears have already been replaced once ( soon to be third). have run Pirelli Rosso asymtrico and will not use them for this next replacement as many have referenced on this site the Pirelli's are a less favored and noisy.

demosan

Don't forget to rotate your tires...

Just because they are directional, doesn't mean they can't be rotated. You just have to have them flip the tires on the rims and then mount them on opposite sides.

Can nearly double the life of the tires.

Why bother - I just use the classic X pattern rotation... Steering is a little odd, but its great on tire life... :soapbox: :clapping: :D

Just because they are directional, doesn't mean they can't be rotated. You just have to have them flip the tires on the rims and then mount them on opposite sides.

Why bother - I just use the classic X pattern rotation... Steering is a little odd, but its great on tire life... :soapbox: :clapping: :D

You cannot rotate them in the X pattern since the front and back tires are of a different size. ONLY removal of back tires from the rim and reversing them will help even out the inside wear, but why bother?

You cannot rotate them in the X pattern since the front and back tires are of a different size. ONLY removal of back tires from the rim and reversing them will help even out the inside wear, but why bother?

I think John from IL was joking...

I have heard of this rotation method in other car forums and have almost unanimously heard that it is not a good idea. The tires get a certain run in shape that you are working against once you move the tire to the other side. You will feel like you are running the car on the tires edge.

I think John from IL was joking...

I have heard of this rotation method in other car forums and have almost unanimously heard that it is not a good idea. The tires get a certain run in shape that you are working against once you move the tire to the other side. You will feel like you are running the car on the tires edge.

Why bother? Why bother? How about nearly doubling the life of the tires, stupid.

Feel like you are on the edge of the tires? What a bunch of idiots.

• 4 months later...

Not to start up this fight again, but...

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position tires on my 2002 Carerra with the 18" "lightweight" wheels. Is there any reason I cannot rotate the wheels/tires side to side. I think the tires are "asymetrical" but not "directional" and I don't think the wheels are directional. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Mike