Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

MAF or Not & Fault Code Reader

Had a strange experience this afternoon. Coming of the A1 and pulling away at the roundabout the car lost power. I kept the engine running although it was spattering, gave a backfire. Nursed in order to get home and was running absolutely fine about a ½ a mile further. Any ideas as to what the problem could be.

I assume the answer is going to be “MAF”. :angry:

Any experiences with engine diagnostic software i.e. “Durametric”. There a few being advertised on e-bay and I am considering investing in one. Here is a link if you are interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0720&rd=1,1

Cheers

As you have only indicated a single occurance, its a bit premature to say its a MAF issue but my experience of misfire (see prev post) was when it was mostly cold but a host of other symptoms were when it was hot, I assume yours was hot as you had just come of the A1.

However, a simple test that may give you a clue, is as everyone has said, disconnect the MAF, once the cover is of the engine bay, just reach down , sqeeze the plug hard and disconnect.

It may need some gas to start but once running its fine, you may notice the car has more urgency in its throttle response if you MAF is faulty, interestingly as the MAF seems to deteriorate slowly, you maybe not so aware of this (or you drive in traffic a lot).

Do a search on MAF and you'll find one of the regulars has photographed the offending item.

Nice thing is you can replace yourself and you there not too expensive, check the US sponsors for prices (aprox 150 pound if my conversion is right)

Had a strange experience this afternoon. Coming of the A1 and pulling away at the roundabout the car lost power. I kept the engine running although it was spattering, gave a backfire. Nursed in order to get home and was running absolutely fine about a ½ a mile further. Any ideas as to what the problem could be.

I assume the answer is going to be “MAF”. :angry:

Any experiences with engine diagnostic software i.e. “Durametric”. There a few being advertised on e-bay and I am considering investing in one. Here is a link if you are interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0720&rd=1,1

Cheers