Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire Performance and noise

I noticed the tires they put on P-cars are different, even those come from factory. I have seen Continental, Dunlop, Michelin(if I remember it correct....) :huh:

The tries on my C4S are Pirelli P-Zero. Are they good? Or others are better?

So, anyone knows about whether the different tires have different performance or noise? :huh:

Which one is quieter or better performance?

You are welcome to let me know what your tires are and how are they doing on your P-car. :cheers:

Edited by jimmy1117

I have recently swapped my rear axle Pzeros for Goodyear F1 GS-D3s.

They handle much better and they are a hell of a lot quieter. They seem to be lasting better too.

I had those on my Corvette, liked em just fine. They were quiet and handled pretty decent. The real bonus was the tread pattern looked kick arse! Got any pics?

Any one has idea why the Porsche manufactory puts different brands of tires on their cars(even the same model)?  :huh:  Production time different?  Regional issue?  or because I pay less?  <_<

propably to please the customer, and they given you the possibility to choose your favorits tire brands.

and here in Germany, they have limit now down to 2 brands, Michelin and Pirelli in Tequipment, before you could even choose Conti.

Pirelli is sponsering the GTP-series now days and they can really supply you a set of tires for a good money :thumbup:

my favorit is actually Pirelli, PZero Rosso N4, great performance on both dry and wet roads and still giving you a great comfort and not that noisy.

btw: Conti SC N2 is also not that bad, great performance but to noisy with 50% rubber left!

cheers,

Tony

Edited by alter_schwede

Here's an interesting tyre comment from a UK weekly car mag 'Autocar' (27/1/04 issue), where they've been running a 2002 C2 manual coupe for almost 2 years:

"Tyre and wheel choice is critial to the enjoyment of the 911. I was seduced by the 18-inch five-spoke Carrera wheels introduced with the 3.6-litre engine. Since they also reduce unsprung weight by 10.6kg, they seemed appropriate. I requested 'all round' tyres, but my car rolled out on Michelin Pilot Sport SXs and the ride was taut at the front, unyielding at the read. And this on standard suspension, rather than the more strongly sprung and firmly damped sports suspension.

I discussed the matter with a couple of Weissach chassis engineers. They say that if most of your driving is in cities and on speed-restricted motorways, you're better off on the 17s and all-round tyres. Regardless of the brand of tyres, 18s affect the ride because the tyres are lower profile.

Porsche splits the tyre choice between 'all-round' and 'sports' rubber on the 911's 17- and 18-inch wheels. Unfortunately, complexity on the assembly line means Porsche doesn't allow the buyer to make a choice of brand when ordering the car, so you'll need a friendly dealer if you insist on a particular tyre. But the choice is yours when it's time to replace the tyres. I was immediately aware of the improved ride upon swapping to Pirelli P-Zero Rosso N4s. I was so impressed that I spoke to a Germany-based Pirelli engineer, who explained the N4's tread pattern and compound were specifically developed for the 996 to provide improved ride comfort, while improving wet weather and mechanical grip. If you want Pirellis, N4 is the magic label."