Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche Top Treatment

In the original manual it references using a Porsche supplied top treatment on the soft top at least once a year. I'm new so this may have been discussed before (probably has, but I can't find it) but where can you get this? Only at the dealer? Other/better product?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Alan :renntech:

• Moderators

The car care products sold by Porsche are made by Dr.OK.Wack, a German based chemical company.

http://www.wackchem.com/

I bought the top spray from my dealer 6 or so years ago. Said back then it was a waste of time and money, and that I would never treat the top again. And I have not.

There are many other products that you can use.

RaggTop is said to be good. This product was not around when I started Boxstering in 1999.

http://www.wolfsteins.com/main.htm

post-4-1173315562_thumb.jpg

The car care products sold by Porsche are made by Dr.OK.Wack, a German based chemical company.

http://www.wackchem.com/

I bought the top spray from my dealer 6 or so years ago. Said back then it was a waste of time and money, and that I would never treat the top again. And I have not.

There are many other products that you can use.

RaggTop is said to be good. This product was not around when I started Boxstering in 1999.

http://www.wolfsteins.com/main.htm

:thumbup: thanks Tool Pants, I'll check it out! (But hey, "It never rains in California".)

Alan

• Moderators

Prices have gone up I see. Not up on this stuff anymore. When Raggtop started years ago there was just the cleaner and the spray. Now they have all kinds of stuff.

In the olden days people were using 3M Scotchguard as an inexpensive alternative. Someone gave me a can of it but I never used it. In fact, both of my cans are so old they cannot be California VOC compliant. Because of out goofy laws 3M reformulated years ago, and I lost track of why it fell out of favor.

BMW also sold a product that you brushed on, that Boxster owners were using. No clue what happened to that.

Blue Coral http://www.bluecoral.com/ made a product to clean the top, and another product to protect it. I have the product somewhere in my garage - used it once.

Then there was Bio 303 or something like that name.

As I said, there are lots of products. Or you can use Wack....

The UK owners are smart. They use the stuff you would put on a pup tent.

post-4-1173388966_thumb.jpg

post-4-1173389013_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Prices have gone up I see. Not up on this stuff anymore. When Raggtop started years ago there was just the cleaner and the spray. Now they have all kinds of stuff.

In the olden days people were using 3M Scotchguard as an inexpensive alternative. Someone gave me a can of it but I never used it. In fact, both of my cans are so old they cannot be California VOC compliant. Because of out goofy laws 3M reformulated years ago, and I lost track of why it fell out of favor.

BMW also sold a product that you brushed on, that Boxster owners were using. No clue what happened to that.

Blue Coral http://www.bluecoral.com/ made a product to clean the top, and another product to protect it. I have the product somewhere in my garage - used it once.

Then there was Bio 303 or something like that name.

As I said, there are lots of products. Or you can use Wack....

The UK owners are smart. They use the stuff you would put on a pup tent.

I have cleaned my top with RaggTopp cleaner and applied RaggTopp treatment (smells like "Camp Dry", used to water proof fabric for camping/backpacking). Now just waiting for it to rain (we're in a drought) or when I wash my Boxster again (probably before it rains).

I am having good sucess with this: http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?...FTOKEN=19140619

Powerful enough to protect fabrics in the harshest environment ...outdoors. Yet 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is safe for the finest fabrics, wool, silk, and fine leathers - including suede. Restores lost water repellency and stain repellency to factory new levels. Treating fabrics helps resist soiling, impedes mildew formation and protects against the sun's harmful UV rays. Proper maintenance with 303 Products will add to the life of your fabrics, save you money, and ... It's Easy !

It beads so well that when I wash my car if there is any water left on the top, I use the vacuum cleaners blower attachment and just blow th water off!

• 4 weeks later...

I always use NikWax UV proof - another camping-type treatment that waterproofs & UV protects fabrics. Always pour the stuff into a bowl and paint it on the top with a paintbrush - otherwise it'll run off the top all over your paintwork if you rely on the spray!

http://www.postfreeoutdoorgear.co.uk/acata...x_UV_Proof.html

Edited by beety

I always use NikWax UV proof - another camping-type treatment that waterproofs & UV protects fabrics. Always pour the stuff into a bowl and paint it on the top with a paintbrush - otherwise it'll run off the top all over your paintwork if you rely on the spray!

http://www.postfreeoutdoorgear.co.uk/acata...x_UV_Proof.html

Thanks Beety.

Cheers!

TP, I'm curious what it was about the Porsche protectant you didn't like? I masked off my top and unloaded a full can on the cleaned top. It seems to work pretty well for me.

Also, you mentioned the 3M Scotchguard. I wanted to use that a couple years ago, so I called them to ask but they did not recommend it for convertible tops. Have you found one that is specifically recommended for tops?

• Admin

TP, I'm curious what it was about the Porsche protectant you didn't like? I masked off my top and unloaded a full can on the cleaned top. It seems to work pretty well for me.

Also, you mentioned the 3M Scotchguard. I wanted to use that a couple years ago, so I called them to ask but they did not recommend it for convertible tops. Have you found one that is specifically recommended for tops?

Give me a break... Tool Pant's top is only up on his Boxster the 2 days a year it rains in San Jose... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come to think of it - I'm not sure he has a top -- I've never seen it up!

• Moderators

Contrary to local popular belief - I do have a soft top.

First time I saw it was in 2000 when I sprayed it with the Porsche stuff in the black can. Too much work, so I never did it again.

I also have a hardtop - believe it or not. First time I saw it on the car was for 20 minutes in 1999 when I drove the car home and then took it off. I saw it again in 2001 when I put it on for 2 weeks to see what it was like. Other than that, it has never been on the car.

post-4-1176609450_thumb.jpg

I sent an email to Maguiar's which are products I have always used on all my cars. They did not list a fabric convertible top cleaner or protector. Their reply was that they recommend the use of canvas cleaner and a canvas protectorant from their marine products. Found it at a boat store. It really works great, does not effect the color or texture of the top and water beads on the top instead of just soaking in.