Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine noise - wow wow wow

Holy Moly sugar and pie, wow wow wow

I was reading something on Renntech a post to a question on how to make your boxster sound nicer, and someone jokingly said remove the sound deadening from the parcel shelf cover.........

........so I had to give this a ago and removed the whole parcel shalf matt, and what a noise, you can hear everything, even the sudden air blast you get when you press the throttle, its sooooo sexy.

Then I went a step further and wedged the heat shield open a lot so it was direct engine noise, and my god......it was incredible, I grant that you could not drive with the noise everyday, but wow, it was like an F1 car.

So I have set myself a mission to design some sound ports in to the parcel shelf that have butterfly valves in to select if you want to hear the engine or not :rolleyes: top bombing :lightbulb:

:renntech:

Edited by RascalRuss

I was reading something on Renntech a post to a question on how to make your boxster sound nicer, and someone jokingly said remove the sound deadening from the parcel shelf cover.........

........so I had to give this a ago and removed the whole parcel shalf matt, and what a noise, you can hear everything, even the sudden air blast you get when you press the throttle, its sooooo sexy.

Then I went a step further and wedged the heat shield open a lot so it was direct engine noise, and my god......it was incredible, I grant that you could not drive with the noise everyday, but wow, it was like an F1 car.

So I have set myself a mission to design some sound ports in to the parcel shelf that have butterfly valves in to select if you want to hear the engine or not :rolleyes: top bombing :lightbulb:

How loud is it when you remove the padding above the engine cover? (With engine cover closed?) Can one reasonably do a 5 hr road trip in it?

Yeh that was my bad lol

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...20&start=20

Glad you liked it, good for a thrill

How loud is it when you remove the padding above the engine cover? (With engine cover closed?) Can one reasonably do a 5 hr road trip in it?

Nah its very loud, as mentioned you can hear everything including full induction :D

Great for a half hr joy ride but 5hrs would send ya def :)

I find you have to have the windows down when you do it, otherwise its overly loud.

Edited by 911-996

I Have to be honest, I have been driving around with the sound deadening off for a few days now (as Im doing a cruise control addition so need access) and it had been fine, its not overly loud at all and I could easily do a 5 hours drive with it, Its actually pleasant hearing the gorgeous sound of this engine.

With the engine heat cover off as well, if deafening, especially when you hit 6 thousand revs......but it is amazing.

I think if I can duct through directly to the engine, you will be able to control the sound and it will be pretty **** amazing.

I would insist you all try it, but simply remove component.....don’t peel off the sound deadening from the rear shelf in case you don’t like it!!

The butterfly port would be a neat idea if your game enough to drill through the cap :unsure:

Though did you notice how much dust come through the back by having the cap off, you might want to put a filter on it :)

any sort of porting tube will do, you can simply have one cut out or made

Something similar to a subwoofer port but with a valve on it that you can close when the roofs down.

http://www.autoleads.co.uk/amplifier_wiring/port.jpg

You could simply cut your own out and mount it by drilling a hole in it.

As for sizes

I’m thinking around 10-12cm in length, 8cm in width that sits directly behind the parcel shelf, or if you feel creative

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...ost&id=7168

mount them in the 2 storage holes on the parcel shelf (take your time to measure it and use proper tools to do the cutting work) as you dont want to have to buy another engine cap $$$$

Quite a neat and easily accessible idea there :)

Edited by 911-996

Yep, there's probably no easier way to get a little more hardcore engine sound. Takes maybe one minute and is completely reversible.

I did the same to mine. Drove around for a week and deemed it slightly too loud and somewhat unattractive to look at the rough plastic.

So I covered the thing in thick black biker jacket leather. I chose a stamping pattern and color that looks just like my seat leather.

Now it looks better, smells better, and the additional mass of the leather takes the edge off the sound.

It's not as easy hear the little noises like fuel injector clicks and valve train clatter and variocam actuation, { which I don't miss } but on heavy throtttle that intoxicating rsr rip is still there.

Hey, I paid good money for that engine thing back there. Since I don't get to see it I might as well hear it.

jh

• 1 month later...
Hey, I paid good money for that engine thing back there. Since I don't get to see it I might as well hear it.

jh

Here's an idea for the entrepreneur (I thought of this while replacing my aging top with the GAHH glass top on my '99). Make a replacement heat shield with a clear window in the middle (Lexan maybe?) so that you can always see the engine through the rear window. I bet you can sell a ton of these. I always thought that Porsche never played up the appearance of the mid-engines enough, like Ferrari and others did.

it's been done

look up adrenalyzer

or adrenaliser

or something like that :)

aloha

steve

jh

Here's an idea for the entrepreneur (I thought of this while replacing my aging top with the GAHH glass top on my '99). Make a replacement heat shield with a clear window in the middle (Lexan maybe?) so that you can always see the engine through the rear window. I bet you can sell a ton of these. I always thought that Porsche never played up the appearance of the mid-engines enough, like Ferrari and others did.