Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster S as Daily Driver?

Boxster as Daily Driver  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am considering purchasing a 2001-ish Boxster S or non-S. I really like the idea of having a beautiful roadster that I can run at the track and still go for a cruise with my wife on summer nights.

I have had my share of weekend toys and slick-tired, roll-caged trailer queens. I am tired of having more vehicles than I can drive at any one moment. Can a Boxster do it all? With a set of mounted snow tires at the ready, it seems like it might.

I drive about 18,000 miles a year and am a darn good shade tree mechanic. I like Porsches, but I am not one of those guys who has yearned for years to have one parked in my garage. I think of them as beautiful, nice cars -- not an object of lust. Not a must-have-at-all-costs thing for me.

I drive my 2002 S every day, winter too, I've got a hard top and snow tires for it, I also put about 18k/year on it and aside from the inside of the rear tires wearing out quickly it has worked out fine

the only real problem with commuting is how low the nose is and how peppered with sand/grit it gets, but so long as it's not a black car (mine is) you won't notice that for a few years

the nice thing is that I love driving the car, so it makes the commute less of a pain

Edited by stumpjumper

I'm retired, so "daily driver" is not daily for me. I voted to go for it. My concerns would be commute traffic and having a good, safe place to park to avoid :censored: parking lot rash etc.

Other'n that maintenance and depreciation will come a bit sooner. 18k very happy miles a year! :thumbup:

I drive 2+ hours each day and also agree that it makes the commute oh so much better. It is much more expensive than most cars one would typically use for long daily drives but worth it. In the Training and Sales business I have to have my attitude at 100% and driving my Boxster really helps!

Its a great daily driver and a pleasure to drive, the biggest thing you'll have to worry about is where to park it.

Unfortunately it attracts a lot of attention and jealous bastards can do anything. I parked my cayenne in a fully open area and some lil ***** came and kicked my quarter panel :censored:

The 01' S useto be the daily driver and its always a pleasure hitting 4000 rpm :)

Porsches, can live with em, cant park them :)

read mike focke's boxster buying guide, and read renntech.org and ppbb.com religiously, and you will ahve more than enough information and help than you need

i wouldn't worry at all about driving all year round (with proper tires, of course)

aloha

steve

Its a great daily driver and a pleasure to drive, the biggest thing you'll have to worry about is where to park it.

Unfortunately it attracts a lot of attention and jealous bastards can do anything. I parked my cayenne in a fully open area and some lil ***** came and kicked my quarter panel :censored:

The 01' S useto be the daily driver and its always a pleasure hitting 4000 rpm :)

Porsches, can live with em, cant park them :)

Daily drive for me and whilst i wouldnt park in a town centre car park i can leave it just about anywhere so i dont quite get the experience some have had.

Driving it is a great place to be and mine is wind rain or shine 365 a year.

Once you get rid of the annoying rattles (doors, wind deflector etc) the 3.2 is a solid piece of engineering, though always seem a rough when cold.

Love mine and preffer it to a 996.

Hey! I would definitely go for it, but take some consideration about where you are going to park it. I have a 1998 Boxster 2.5, with 18" wheels (rear 265/35, front 225/40), and I do 20,000 miles a year, (about 10k motorway and 10k country Irish roads), so even though you do feel every bump, it sure is worth it. The mileage will increase steadily, but if you look after the car regularily, you shouldn't have any major problems! :rolleyes:

Oh, bit of advice, if you get the pre-2003 model with the plastic rear screen, don't put the roof down during cold weather, under 5degC (41degF), as it will crack! I wish someone had told me this! :censored:

Anyway, best of luck with you decision, and if you stick with this website, you'll get some great advice! :thumbup:

My MY02 S facelift is my main daily drive.

My mileage will be about 13K a year, and its a pleasure to drive.

I changed my route to use the back roads - mixture of traffic and open lanes, and I now 'enjoy' going to work.

Sometimes I change to the diesel Vectra if I'm going on a motorway journey, but not if its sunny!

so I would say its a great daily drive, but the shine is less so if your on the motorway all day!

I've never been a Porsche fan, nor desired one. I took one for a test drive on the 'spur of the moment' while looking for an RX8/350Z/Celica/Crossfire and once tried I couldnt have any of the others. Its just so.... exquisite!