Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Spolier Warning Light

I have a 1999 C4 Cab.

I did a search in this forum to no avail.

I've noticed consistently when I start the car that the rear spoiler light stays on longer than the rest of my warning lights.

When I try to put the top down, the top down warning light flashes, which I believe is another warning indicator that one of the top lowering criteria has failed:

1. Parking brake on (which it is)

2. Spoiler all the way down (for grins I've pushed the manual spoiler button down to verify)

But still the rear spoiler light stays on and I cannot put the top down holding the top down button.

What works is to put the car in reverse for about 5 feet and go forward 5 feet, the rear spolier warning light goes off and now the car allows me to put the top down.

Besides the "take the car to Porsche for service" answer, is there a simple trick/flaw I should know about?

Thanks for any insight or advice. :help:

Edited by gry

• Admin

I would check the two cable connections in the deck lid and the passenger side chassis. If you follow the cable near the deck lid fan it goes to a connector. Plug and unplug the connector looking for corrosion or bent pins etc. Then follow the cable to the chassis near the passenger side tail light. There is another connector there - do the same check. If the cables are good (no cuts or breaks) then the only thing left is the spoiler motor itself.

I was hoping you'd reply.

I'll check it tomorrow, but I may ask if you have any pictures if I get lost.

Interesting, so you're saying the warning light may be because the spoiler motor is dying? I can raise and lower the spoiler manually.

Also, in either scenario what's the approximate cost to fix either the connectors or the spoiler motor?

Is there anything you don't know about Porsches?

Thanks so much!

Edited by gry

I have had this problem before.

Since you can manually raise it up/down I would suggest you unplug the

connector to the tail lift motor and clean the connection then refit it.

This worked for me. its on the right hand side just behind the tail light.

There is also a relay under the dash that may need replacing. I didn't have to do this but I read about it.

Finally, have someone manually raise the spoiler and lower it while you watch it from the back. Make sure the wing isn't sticking at the sides or getting fouled on anything. I had to put a very slight smear of vaseline on the side of my wing. It was slightly catching.....but my rear spoiler has been slightly moded.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that the owner's manual says that the rear spoiler warning light stays on until the car is moving, only then does it go out. Or is the activation of this warning light different on the cab? Not that this should stop you putting the top down, but it's worth knowing.

Edited by Paul Strong

Thanks Paul, I tried cleaning out the plug as suggested and the rear spoiler light stays on until I start moving (like you and the manual state).

As for the top coming down, it does...new owner just getting use to car.

The Boxster S has less moving pieces, so I'm use to it's movement.

I do have another question:

When I bring the top back up and hold the roof closure button, the boot opens, the top comes up and locks, the boot closes, and then all 4 windows close.

This is my 3rd convertible.

Is the Porsche Cab smart enough that when the top is closed (or opened) fully, the roof motor STOPS while the other procedures complete (e.g. windows closing and boot closing)? So it doesn't burn out the roof motor trying to raise or lower the top even when it's fully engaged/opened?

I'm wondering because I've gone through a burnt top motor and replacing them is a little pricey.

My wife was worried that when I went to close the top, holding down the top close button after the top is closed and locked into place that I was burning out the roof motor continuing to depress the top button while the 4 windows were closing.

Edited by gry