Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Failed emission test

Was doing the yearly inspection today and failed on the emission testing. I had low (zero) readings on HC and CO but a lambda on 1.29, which is extremely high. The car was ran about for one hour before the test and we test drove 2 times with measuring after both, still high on lambda. The car starts and idles smooth, no check engine light, no soot in the tailpipes, no smoke.

Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?

How many Km on the car?

You may need new O2 sensors as they degrade over there lifespan.

For US cars the PST2 has a test - if you don't get 5 happy faces then you won't pass emissions.

I don't think RoW cars have the vent test.

post-1-1180976911_thumb.jpg

It has 73000 km.

• Admin

A little early for a sensor failure but I would get someone with an OBD II tool that can graph and show the O2 sensors voltage. My guess is that one or more of the sensors is not working like it should.

post-1-1180995343_thumb.jpg

Also, are you sure your CEL light is not removed or burn't out. Does it come on when you turn the key to the on position?

How many Km on the car?

You may need new O2 sensors as they degrade over there lifespan.

For US cars the PST2 has a test - if you don't get 5 happy faces then you won't pass emissions.

I don't think RoW cars have the vent test.

post-1-1180976911_thumb.jpg

Hi Loren,

I have access to a PST2 now - where do I find the above status check screen?

Cheers,

Jules

Edited by jcorallo

• Admin
Go to your model (996) then to DME. Once you have the DME tests scroll down to Short Test.

996? I have a 986! I dont recall seeing a DME Tests section - but I'll have a look tonight.

Cheers,

Jules

You posted in the 996 forum.

Just go to the 986 section - it has the same test.

Go to your model (996) then to DME. Once you have the DME tests scroll down to Short Test.

996? I have a 986! I dont recall seeing a DME Tests section - but I'll have a look tonight.

Cheers,

Jules

You posted in the 996 forum.

Just go to the 986 section - it has the same test.

ahh- :oops: - thanks I'll look tonight!

Cheers,

Jules

The CEL light is working. Could it be as easy as a air leak in the exhaust system ?
I think you need someone to run the tests on your O2 sensors.

I have an appointment with the local Porsche garage on Monday. They will support doing the troubleshooting.

The CEL light is working. Could it be as easy as a air leak in the exhaust system ?
I think you need someone to run the tests on your O2 sensors.

I have an appointment with the local Porsche garage on Monday. They will support doing the troubleshooting.

Picked up the car this morning. New spark plugs was the solution. The lambda value at the test station was 1.000 when tested later today. By the looks from the plugs it was amazing that the car would work as good as it did, probably they were never changed.....