Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Pics ar hereI don't necessarily know what to think of this??? I am raising the car to check on the shifter linkage to see if all is good and I start jacking it up and then oil just starts pouring out of the drivers side of the rear end? as it slowed I got under there and it appears as though it is coming out of a motor mount??

A motor mount in the body not attached to the engine. I am trying to get a pic setup. It is the silver mount that sits directly under the little black electric pump thing on the the driver side of the car.

Edited by ViolaGT3

Please don't let it be hydraulic mounts that I just smoked jacking up the car. Both of them leaked in the end but the drivers dropped about 12oz. the passenger about 1-2oz. I was using the highly recommended point for floor jacks in the rear. I guess it put a bit of strain on these mounts?

Edited by ViolaGT3

Looks as if it is the mount that's leaking..... where did you place the jack when lifting the car?

On the spot where I've seen it posted a couple of times. Theres a bulk hanging down just behind the oil pan.

The mounts are hydraulic, you have to replace them. The engine is not a jacking point for a M 96.

At this point I would have to agree. I have used this spot before without incident but I would at this point have to say that it will put stress on these in a way they won't hold up to for long.

Your problem has me worried, as I "tinker" with the car monthly, and can be putting it on jackstand 15-20 times a year. I have been using the engine point as a lift point also, and slide an old hockey puck to make the contact. I found this at the PCA site:

http://treffen.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_questi...4-F17A94BC49D0}

What caught my eye is the phrase "...it is permissible to do it at the engine, noting as you did to get to the strong part ahead of the flat sump area..", which is exactly what you did and what I think I have been doing. I am open to any other suggestions as to how to get the car in the air without spending $1500 on a lift.

Your problem has me worried, as I "tinker" with the car monthly, and can be putting it on jackstand 15-20 times a year. I have been using the engine point as a lift point also, and slide an old hockey puck to make the contact. I found this at the PCA site:

http://treffen.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_questi...4-F17A94BC49D0}

What caught my eye is the phrase "...it is permissible to do it at the engine, noting as you did to get to the strong part ahead of the flat sump area..", which is exactly what you did and what I think I have been doing. I am open to any other suggestions as to how to get the car in the air without spending $1500 on a lift.

Hi well here's the best I can make of it is the mounts are designed to keep the engines from sagging and the stress of holding the weight of the car can fast forward the breakdown process. Now mine is a 99' so I can say use this technique at your own risk, but I have now seen that it puts unacceptable stress on these mounts. I can say that mine have 7+years to wear/breakdown, but that being stated if I had not done this then they could of possibly lasted quite a while longer. And to all unsure about the location I used it is the one shown in the how to put your car on jackstands thread. :unsure:

Pics ar here It is the silver mount that sits directly under the little black electric pump thing on the the driver side of the car.
I think that is the secondary pump and I beleive that one of the lines may contain a small amount of oil so you may check the connections for any leakage down onto the mount. Edited by Mother

Gang,

After a brief "off-line" talk with Viola, I believe my 99 cabrio had the same issue. I have been lifting it using the motor point with a hockey puck on the jack for a couple of years, at least once a month. One day the lift produced some dark fluid, the color or motor oil, but very low viscosity, cleaned like water. At first I thougth it was some dirty water since it had been raining, and I did not see any leaks. Also could not determine any smell from the fluid and cleaned like old coffee.

The next few times I had to jack the car, however, had the same effect. No more than a 1/2 cup to a cup of this liquid will come out when I applied the jack to the engine point. And the liquid will stop when I got the car on jack stands. I no longer have the 99, so could not go verify.

I have been using the same point on the 03 for lifting, but now thinking "where else can I get the jack to lift the car and not create anothe problem". Does anyone else have this problem? The liquid could be ignored as it is just like dirty water. Thanks

Izzy

Gang,

After a brief "off-line" talk with Viola, I believe my 99 cabrio had the same issue. I have been lifting it using the motor point with a hockey puck on the jack for a couple of years, at least once a month. One day the lift produced some dark fluid, the color or motor oil, but very low viscosity, cleaned like water. At first I thougth it was some dirty water since it had been raining, and I did not see any leaks. Also could not determine any smell from the fluid and cleaned like old coffee.

The next few times I had to jack the car, however, had the same effect. No more than a 1/2 cup to a cup of this liquid will come out when I applied the jack to the engine point. And the liquid will stop when I got the car on jack stands. I no longer have the 99, so could not go verify.

I have been using the same point on the 03 for lifting, but now thinking "where else can I get the jack to lift the car and not create anothe problem". Does anyone else have this problem? The liquid could be ignored as it is just like dirty water. Thanks

Izzy

Have a look at the range of AC jacks at Pelican Parts, if used with a cross beam adaptor also made by AC you can use the sub frame in front of the motor. I have the DK20 model which is not low enough to slide right under the motor so I run the car up on to some basic ramps made using a few sheets of chamfered edge chipboard fastened together. They also have a very low profile jack which may fit without the need to use the ramps. The cross beam adaptor can be adjusted up to about 45 inches wide. They are expensive but probably cheaper than the hydraulic mount repair.

Pics ar here It is the silver mount that sits directly under the little black electric pump thing on the the driver side of the car.
I think that is the secondary pump and I beleive that one of the lines may contain a small amount of oil so you may check the connections for any leakage down onto the mount.

I'll check into the possibility of this, but for now I can say the the top of the mount is nearly sealed/ capped off less a 1/8th inch hole. I looked quite vigoursly attempting to find the leak spot, and then the other side started leaking the same way. I do believe that this would rule out the little black elec. pump unless these cars are little black elec. pump TT. :D

P.S. what in the world is that little black electric pump, is it like the old fashioned air/smog pumps?

Edited by ViolaGT3

Thanks Rattles. I did look in there then Ebay (had to do it) for Cross Beam Adapters. Not expensive, about $30-40 and mount on the jack, expand to 24-36 inches. I put a link to one of them below. Will do some research on it, and see if I get one, take some pictures, do some trials and repost examples. Probably will be after this weekend, I got father's day tracking to do.....

Izzy

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Ton-Floor-Jack-CROSS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Rattles. I did look in there then Ebay (had to do it) for Cross Beam Adapters. Not expensive, about $30-40 and mount on the jack, expand to 24-36 inches. I put a link to one of them below. Will do some research on it, and see if I get one, take some pictures, do some trials and repost examples. Probably will be after this weekend, I got father's day tracking to do.....

Izzy

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Ton-Floor-Jack-CROSS...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's about 25 inches between the two subframe points so it should work OK, The AC is lower profile but much more expensive. I am in Australia and did not have an option of a cheaper make but I am happy with the AC, the Danish economy got a sizeable boost as well.

Glenn

Edited by rattles