Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New MAF report

I replaced my MAF after a failure and I just wanted to share my experience. The car is a 2000 986 S, manual trans. The MAF failed right around 90,000 miles. I bought the car at 60K and immediately installed a K&N filter. At 80K I installed an EVO intake. No worries until 90K, when I got a CEL (typical MAF codes). The car lost power, particularly in the mid range. Cold also was also accompanied by a few backfires. I disconnected the MAF and the car ran better. The original MAF was part number 996 606 124 00. A TSB has been issued on this part, updating it to PN 986 606 125 01, which I installed. The TSB says that the DME must be updated to use the new part. I took the car to an indie who charged me $136 to do it. However, during the update (using a PST2), the DME programming code came up as 000000. I'm not sure if my DME was update or not, but the car runs better than it ever has. I wish that I had tried hooking up the new MAF beforehand to confirm that the DME was reprogrammed (and that my $136 was well spent).

I will update this post if there is a change for the worse. Hope the info helps someone! I've definitely had my fair share of help and savings from this board.

Cheers

Jeffrey

I replaced my MAF after a failure and I just wanted to share my experience. The car is a 2000 986 S, manual trans. The MAF failed right around 90,000 miles. I bought the car at 60K and immediately installed a K&N filter. At 80K I installed an EVO intake. No worries until 90K, when I got a CEL (typical MAF codes). The car lost power, particularly in the mid range. Cold also was also accompanied by a few backfires. I disconnected the MAF and the car ran better. The original MAF was part number 996 606 124 00. A TSB has been issued on this part, updating it to PN 986 606 125 01, which I installed. The TSB says that the DME must be updated to use the new part. I took the car to an indie who charged me $136 to do it. However, during the update (using a PST2), the DME programming code came up as 000000. I'm not sure if my DME was update or not, but the car runs better than it ever has. I wish that I had tried hooking up the new MAF beforehand to confirm that the DME was reprogrammed (and that my $136 was well spent).

I will update this post if there is a change for the worse. Hope the info helps someone! I've definitely had my fair share of help and savings from this board.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Please do update as I am chasing a CEL 1130 and it could possibly be my MAF on my 00 boxster (tip). with just over 38k miles on it.

This weekend was the Richmond (VA) Porsche Meet, which included a "spirited" tour on Saturday and an auto-X on Sunday. I'll add that it's about 60 miles each way from home. After all the miles and many trips to the rev limiter, the car is still running better than it ever has, and no CEL. Yes, the car has an old style EVO intake. As well, I've modified the stock muffler for a more direct exhaust flow and I've opened up the second set of cats (great sound, no resonance!) Seems like the new MAF and the reflash are working great. Knock on wood!

• 5 months later...

I went through a near identical experience as you. Replaced the old model MAF on my Yr 2000 Boxster S with a new model MAF which requires the DME to be re-programed. My dealer told me the fuel/ignition map will also be updated to the latest version along with this re-programming. Does anyone know how true this is? I reckon it's just calibrating the DME to read a different voltage of the new MAF sensor.

Why I'm asking is I did a baseline dyno run couple of months later and the car showed to have lost about 15bhp. This is comparing another run which I did before I got the DME re-programed for the new MAF sensor. There will be variance between each dyno run but 15 bhp seems kinda big...

I found no difference between the two MAFs when used with the right programming. With the wrong programming, it was down on power, but I don't remember how much. With the wrong MAF, your A/F ratios will be all wonky.