Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

20k Service - which TSBs apply

TIA for any assistance.

I'm taking my 987S in for its 20k service next week. This will be its first trip to the dealer. Is there a way to identify which TSBs apply to my car without checking them 1 by 1? Will the dealer do this for me? Do I need to request them to do the check? Any advice appreciated.

Build date is 5/05

I know I want them to check

- the shifter's adjustment.

- I'm smelling coolant. I think the coolant smell is from a pressure relief valve under the fill stack.

Edited by drfous

Drfous, you can look on our site and see the TSB list for the 987, since you are a Contributing Member. Have the dealer address any that are relevent. They should be checking anyways.

How many miles do you have? I hope you did not wait 20,000 miles for your first oil change. You should change the oil every year or by 7,500 miles is best/ideal. I would not go over 10,000 miles between oil changes. IMHO.

FYI. You should delete you VIN number on this post for security reasons.

Thx for the info on the VIN. I thought it was an engine code on the door, but nope. Its the vin and gone.

The car has just under 20k miles. I bought it with 16k a year ago. There was an indication that the original owner changed the oil at 10k. Not taking any chances I changed it within a couple of weeks of purchase.

Edited by drfous

Granted my 06 Boxster only has 4,000 miles so far, and I've only had her since January. But the dealership specifically said that you don't do the first oil change till 20,000 or two years. While I'll agree that seems a little odd, that is what all the books say too. White987S, why do you say not to wait till 20,000?

(sorry if I'm hi-jacking this thread)

Granted my 06 Boxster only has 4,000 miles so far, and I've only had her since January. But the dealership specifically said that you don't do the first oil change till 20,000 or two years. While I'll agree that seems a little odd, that is what all the books say too. White987S, why do you say not to wait till 20,000?

Hi Jonesy, I did the first oil change at about 1,200 miles, then again at 7,500. I'll do it every year, just before winter storage, or at 7,500 miles. The oil just does not last 20,000 miles. Maybe 10-12,000 tops.

I think the dealership and Porsche say the 20,000 miles to make the car "appear" to have a lower yearly maintenance cost, to compete with other marque brands in the marketplace. An oil change is very cheap insurance.

I don't think you need to change the oil every 3-5,000 miles...that's overkill, wasteful, and test have shown to actually increase wear & tear.

Hi Jonesy, I did the first oil change at about 1,200 miles, then again at 7,500. I'll do it every year, just before winter storage, or at 7,500 miles. The oil just does not last 20,000 miles. Maybe 10-12,000 tops.

I think the dealership and Porsche say the 20,000 miles to make the car "appear" to have a lower yearly maintenance cost, to compete with other marque brands in the marketplace. An oil change is very cheap insurance.

I don't think you need to change the oil every 3-5,000 miles...that's overkill, wasteful, and test have shown to actually increase wear & tear.

I have changed mine after first 1000 miles then at 6000 miles (one Year) and again next week at 9000 miles after 4 track days this year.

In that fancy rag that Porsche mails me they touted the long oil change intervals as part of their

"green" commitment.

I have never heard that removing contaminents from the lubricating system is bad for an engine.

For those interested. $568 Work done at dealership.

Parts: $269

Cabin Air Filter $94

Air Filter $49

Oil Filter $28

Oil $70

Engine Cleaner $25

Shop supplies $25

Labor $250

Warranty work for my model and build date 2005 987S 05/2005:

W572 Wind Stop - replaced lower rubber buffers.

W608 Air Grilles - replaced both air grilles on the front apron.

W573 Caps on Enging stud - retrofitting studs for the engine carrier.

W545 Check crank case for proper machining.

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to check with them these two further warranty items: -

W610 - Cd's jamming and stopping PCM operation

1726 - Screeching Noise From The Engine During Warm-up (Campaign item)

The last item will not be carried out unless the customer requests it. Its is a known fault with the oil piston relief valve that vibrates in its chamber at approx 2,200 rpm on the warm up cycle. You'll need to hold the revs at this point specifically to cath it out.

Regards

Popolou

You might want to check with them these two further warranty items: -

W610 - Cd's jamming and stopping PCM operation

1726 - Screeching Noise From The Engine During Warm-up (Campaign item)

The last item will not be carried out unless the customer requests it. Its is a known fault with the oil piston relief valve that vibrates in its chamber at approx 2,200 rpm on the warm up cycle. You'll need to hold the revs at this point specifically to cath it out.

Regards

Popolou

1726 doesn't appear to be a true fix - mine was replaced about 10 motnhs ago, started to resonate again in the last couple of months. I know of another (this time a 2.7) thats on its third piston and its still resonating. Begin to wonder whetehr it s pump design issue rather than a piston problem.

Considering Porsche's supposed reputation for engineering, its very disappointing to find so many issues reported with engines

Mines in for service at present - apparently there is a modified modified piston out, has been for about 6 months according to my service guy. No details as yet , probably the usual lies and bull from the UK dealers,, but i'll ask when i collect the car.

• 4 weeks later...
Mines in for service at present - apparently there is a modified modified piston out, has been for about 6 months according to my service guy. No details as yet , probably the usual lies and bull from the UK dealers,, but i'll ask when i collect the car.

Hey mate,

Missed out on your posts, but yes you are quite correct: there is a revised piston out there now. A brief conversation i had with Porsche Customer Assistance a while back confirmed that a few of the fixes aren't doing what they are meant to. Something about pushing the tolerances on the revised part a bit further.

Regards

Popolou