Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can I install 2.7 engine on my 1998 2.5 boxter?

Can? Yes. Labor cost is probably double the cost of installing the 2.5.

Find someone who has done it before.

The control electronics are different and lots of other parts or adaptations will be required to do the 2.7. And if you do the 2.7, why not the 3.2 as the electronics mods for the 2 will be the same.

You may want to consider a 996 3.4L instead. It is a nearly direct replacement for your 2.5 so it may be cheaper in labor costs and mods. It will also add about 100hp to your car. If you need a new motor, why not a badazzz one?

You may want to consider a 996 3.4L instead. It is a nearly direct replacement for your 2.5 so it may be cheaper in labor costs and mods. It will also add about 100hp to your car. If you need a new motor, why not a badazzz one?

yeah, no question. go for a 3.4L replacement!

there's no point in going from 2.5 to 2.7. you'd be better off selling your car and buying a 2.7L boxster, IMHO.

there's no point in going from 2.5 to 2.7. you'd be better off selling your car and buying a 2.7L boxster, IMHO.

I got the 3.4 engine already waiting for the installation, but also found a 996 cabrio very, very cheap, so my project is changing completely.

As I want to sell the boxter and found this 2.7 engine, again very cheap, the idea would be installing this engine to the boxter and sell the car.

So what modifications are needed for the 2.7 one?

I got the 3.4 engine already waiting for the installation, but also found a 996 cabrio very, very cheap, so my project is changing completely.

As I want to sell the boxter and found this 2.7 engine, again very cheap, the idea would be installing this engine to the boxter and sell the car.

So what modifications are needed for the 2.7 one?

UUps, forgot to mention that the 996 I found is sold with broken engine...

Hi there,

I have done a 3.2s conversion into a 1997 2.5 boxster in the past. It is the same installation process as a 2.7.

It is easily done but u do need a few things. do you already have the 2.7 engine?

are you still interested in selling the dead 2.5 boxster as it is?

thanks.

Edited by Kanin

Hi there,

I have done a 3.2s conversion into a 1997 2.5 boxster in the past. It is the same installation process as a 2.7.

It is easily done but u do need a few things. do you already have the 2.7 engine?

are you still interested in selling the dead 2.5 boxster as it is?

thanks.

I haven´t bought the 2.7 engine yet, but it is in a junkyard. What do you mean with the "same installation process"? What things are needed?

Yes, I might sell the 2.5 engine. It runs perfectly, with compression in all cylinders, but was burning oil. No idea why. The mechanics said it might be the valve seal in cylinder number 4, but I decided to make the 3.4 conversion.... and now considering to purchase the 996 cabrio.

Make me an offer for the 2.5 engine, if you are interested....

Saludos

Kare

Hi,

I meant if you were interested in selling the boxster?

If you are planning a 3.4 conversion then that is probably the best route, we are in the middle of doing a 3.6 conversion in our boxster, should be up and running in the weekend.

If I remember correctly, the main obstacle for the 2.7 and 3.2 conversions into a 2.5 boxster is the activation of the resonance valve. You need someone who can re-programme your original 2.5 DME with the 3.4 file, this is easily done with a porcshe system tester.

Only post '98 boxter dme's can be reprogrammed, ours was a 1997 so we basically used a 3.4 996 dme, which is the same dme as the 2.5 boxsters, only difference being the fueling and timing files.

if the car runs too rich with the 3.4 file once programmed then there is a quick fix to lean it off if needed.

the other thing is that the 2.5 were throttle cable operated, the 2.7 and 3.2 is e-gas. you could replace the throttle body on the 2.7 or 3.2 with the one from the 2.5, will need a bit of modding or u could do what we did and was to use a 996 3.4 cable operated throttle. works perfect either way.

the other thing would be the fuel return on the 2.5. if the 2.7 or 3.2 is a later engine then the chance are that it will not have a fuel return connection on the fuel rail. This is easily fixed but you will have to cross that bridge when you have the engine...........if u need to that is.

I think that is pretty much it, all the other neccesary parts needed can be switched over from your 2.5, i.e exhaust, coolant hoses (if needed), wiring etc.

Let me know about the car, if you are interested dude.

thanks.

Edited by Kanin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kanin

I have a 1998 Boxster 2.5 (62k miles) with a blown engine diagnosis (as of today). I'm researching my options, other than the dealer suggested $14,000 engine replacement.

What is the value of a car like mine in its current condition?

I am not mechanically inclined, and would normally just get another car, but I like the interior of my car very much. Replacing it with another 986 or a cheap 996 would be a step down, I feel, and the 987/997s are still too expensive. What to do?!

I am also looking for shops that are able to replace the engine at a reasonable cost, however defined. Near Chicago preferred.

Thanks

rd

Hi,

I meant if you were interested in selling the boxster?

Depending on the condition of the rest of the car, I would say $7-8k is what it is worth with a blown motor. At least that is what I would give you for it. You can certainly replace the engine for less than $14k if you use a used motor. You should be able to get a 2.5L motor for about $3k or so. If you want more performance put in a 3.4 engine. If you want to go crazy, put in a 3.6 or 3.8. Costs go up accordingly.

If you are going to sell the car as is, let me know, I might be interested in it depending on the condition of the rest of the car.

Todd