Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Antifreeze leaking in front

I JUST brought home my '01 Boxster with 29,ooo miles on it. A few hours later there was a saucer sized damp spot under the front left headlight area, which I identified as antifreeze. That's somewhere around the back of the radiator there, and I'm PRAYING that it's a loose hose connection or something like that.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get into that area in order to check it out. I can afford the car, but not the Porsche mechanic just now!!!!!

Thanks, Bob

Edited by itzbob46

Then it must be a radiator hose or the radiator itself.

Welcome to the PORSCHE WORLD of $$$$ Repairs.

I am not sure where you get the high cost from - it could be just a loose clamp.

Further to Loren's post parts are not that expensive and if you look around the net you can find most stuff priced reasonably well. The cars are fairly easy to work on and most stuff straight forward.

I would start with jacking up the front pulling off the front bumper and starting up the car to see where it's leaking from. It may take until the car is hot for pressure to build and it to leak. Then check the hose connections clamps and rad. You can generally have the rad soldered to fix it, the hose can have a piece changed out if need be. It shouldn't be that bad.

• 5 months later...

The car is now garaged for the winter and I finally got around to disassembling it. There is a plastic "locator" on the front of the radiator molded into the plastic end cap of the radiator that is attached to a body bracket. Appears that the previous owner somehow pounded the bottom of the plastic bumper (some kind of curb thing without scraping up the underside of the nose much) which shoved the radiator upward and the locator was stressed badly, causing a crack in the radiator end cap. Because of the plastic bushing that the locator goes through, and the horizontal lengthing of the radiator as it heats pushing it tightly against the the bracket, the leakage was minimal as the car got to full operating temp. Also shattered the bottom of the air scoop out of sight from outside the car.

Radiator = $235. Scoop = $105. Time for a coolant change. As a DIY project, it's not too bad. And a good chance to clean out the radiator road debris.

Thanks, Bob