Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

stalls after starting

hey guys, my 99 c2 cab has started to randomly stall immediately after starting. the engine has been warmed but its too random to describe any other symptoms. all i can say is after trying to start it again, its appears to be fine. the car just had its 60k major service done and a recent alternator repair... ive seen a few owners that had been recommended to clean the throttle body...i would appreciate the feedback.

hey guys, my 99 c2 cab has started to randomly stall immediately after starting. the engine has been warmed but its too random to describe any other symptoms. all i can say is after trying to start it again, its appears to be fine. the car just had its 60k major service done and a recent alternator repair... ive seen a few owners that had been recommended to clean the throttle body...i would appreciate the feedback.

I would remove and clean the idle control valve (ICV) with car cleaner. Throttlebody cleaning wouldn't hurt either.

I've been having a similar problem with my 02 C4S lately.

When I start the car for the first time, it idles weak, stumbles and seems like it's gonna stall...but it doesn't.

This would go for like 10 - 20secs, then suddenly it "catches" and the rpm goes up to normal,

from then on eveything is fine, and for the rest of the day it starts fine, until it sits again for a long period of time.

At the time during the weak idling, if I step on the gas, it will stumble.

I've tried tapping gently on the gas, and it could, most of the time, help coax it to "catch" and go to normal idling.

Is this the same thing we are talking about here?

Will cleaning the ICV and throttle body solve the problem?

How hard is the DIY for that on a scale of 1-10?

• Admin
I've been having a similar problem with my 02 C4S lately.

When I start the car for the first time, it idles weak, stumbles and seems like it's gonna stall...but it doesn't.

This would go for like 10 - 20secs, then suddenly it "catches" and the rpm goes up to normal,

from then on eveything is fine, and for the rest of the day it starts fine, until it sits again for a long period of time.

At the time during the weak idling, if I step on the gas, it will stumble.

I've tried tapping gently on the gas, and it could, most of the time, help coax it to "catch" and go to normal idling.

Is this the same thing we are talking about here?

Will cleaning the ICV and throttle body solve the problem?

How hard is the DIY for that on a scale of 1-10?

A MY02 is egas so there is no ICV.

The idle is controlled by the DME making slight adjustments of the throttle butterfly.

I would start by cleaning the throttle butterfly (front and back side) with a spray fuel injector/carburetor cleaner.

A MY02 is egas so there is no ICV.

The idle is controlled by the DME making slight adjustments of the throttle butterfly.

I would start by cleaning the throttle butterfly (front and back side) with a spray fuel injector/carburetor cleaner.

Thank you, Loren!

• 2 weeks later...

i finally removed the ICV and cleaned it as well as the butterfly. I did notice though that the valve on the ICV had a gap big enough to insert a flathead screwdriver through it. When do you know to replace rather than clean? Seemed to be ok, only driving the car frequently wil tell.

thanks for the help on this one