Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1999 vs. 2000-01 911

Listmates,

I am in the process of trading my 00 Boxster S for a 911 Cabriolet. I have looked at several, and notice that a real engine change occurred in 2002 with the bigger engine. If I were looking at a 99 with 34K miles vs a 2000 or 01 with similar miles, is the newer car worth the additional 10K cost? Are there other features/factors I should consider? This is a toy, not a daily driver, so if the fun factor is the same, the car will suit me.

Thanks in Advance.

Listmates,

I am in the process of trading my 00 Boxster S for a 911 Cabriolet. I have looked at several, and notice that a real engine change occurred in 2002 with the bigger engine. If I were looking at a 99 with 34K miles vs a 2000 or 01 with similar miles, is the newer car worth the additional 10K cost? Are there other features/factors I should consider? This is a toy, not a daily driver, so if the fun factor is the same, the car will suit me.

Thanks in Advance.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I went with a '99 only because it was the car in the best condition and the price was right. No regrets so far. I would recommend a detailed search of the history of the car and an inspection by a dealer or indy shop. As Loren said, very little differences in the car itself.

Will

Almost no difference between a MY99 and MY00 C2. Egas and minor trim changes.

I don't know how big a deal egas is. The 99 is missing some of the luxury features, like heated and power seats, but those things don't make it go faster. Appreciate your input! Thanks.

Almost no difference between a MY99 and MY00 C2. Egas and minor trim changes.

I don't know how big a deal egas is. The 99 is missing some of the luxury features, like heated and power seats, but those things don't make it go faster. Appreciate your input! Thanks.

My 99 (early) has both heated and power seats (drivers with seat memory) and you should be able to add them if you really wanted them. I personally like the non-egas better...not saying it is better, just better to suite my taste. Some can tell no difference between the two. I would buy the one that has been best maintained. I have some friends that only change their oil when the system (BMW) tells them to do so...15k miles is a long interval!

Option codes for seating listed on my hood:

139 seat heating system, left seat

340 seat heating system, right seat

437 comfort seat left, electronically adjustable

438 comfort seat right, electronically adjustable

537 seating position control for comfort seat, left

Edited by slbates

• Admin
I just bought a '99 C2 coupe 6spd with 31K miles and am absolutely loving it. From Google I found out that eGas is the throttle by wire system. I know my car doesn't have it, but what does that mean to me?

-James.

It means you have a throttle cable and a idle control valve. There is nothing wrong with that - it is just a different design.

Some folks think that that throttle cable cars have faster throttle response than egas cars.

As Monty Python would say, now for something completely different. In the shopping process, I wound up with a 2003 with 17K miles! So, the Boxster will be traded in Saturday in Chicago. Thanks for all your assistance.

As Monty Python would say, now for something completely different. In the shopping process, I wound up with a 2003 with 17K miles! So, the Boxster will be traded in Saturday in Chicago. Thanks for all your assistance.

Congrats. I made a change from a 1st generation 996 to a 2nd gen - 2004 C4S. There are noticable differences in the 2nd gen cars.