Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just bought a 01 Boxster S w/ milage 44k

Is there anything I should change @ 44k now? I heard the rear main seal is common to go bad... do you guys have this problem?

The car's rear suspension makes some "banging" noise at low speed, gotta get it checked out soon...

• Admin

Have a look at the Maintenance Checklists here.

Do you have any service records so that you know the 30,000 mile major service was done.

I wouldn't touch any seal that is not leaking.

A common problem with the rear suspension is loose swaybar mounts.

• Admin
Loren,

Is there a way to know whether the 30,000 mile service was done on a 2000 Boxster? I was told it was done but I have no record.

Thanassis

If it was done at a dealership then it should be in Porsche's database. Call your friendly dealer - give them your VIN and ask them to look it up.

If it was done outside of a dealer then you may never know. If it were my car and I couldn't prove it had been done I would do it anyway. You might be wasting a little money but at least you have service history starting point.

I am curious because I just took my car in for the problem you are describing. There is definitely a clunk over bumps and when I corner (not fast) the car feels like it almost bounces/skips hard and the clunking is there. It does not skid (tires are less than a year old). The dealer replaced something, I can't remember what it was, but I have the paperwork at home.

I want to say the controller arms (I may be way off)? Anyways, my point is that the problem is still there. I'll get the paperwork later.

Thanks.

OK here is what was replaced at the dealer, part number (2) 986-331-043-07 Trailing arm assembly. The mechanic described it as "replaced rear control arms".

I obviously don't know what any of these parts do, but the clunking still there. Should that have done it? If somebody can explain how all this works I would greatly appreciated. Thanks. (I'm still learning). :)

OK here is what was replaced at the dealer, part number (2) 986-331-043-07 Trailing arm assembly. The mechanic described it as "replaced rear control arms".

I obviously don't know what any of these parts do, but the clunking still there. Should that have done it? If somebody can explain how all this works I would greatly appreciated. Thanks. (I'm still learning). :)

We checked my car's rear suspension during the oil change, and figured out the rear shock mounts are wore out. Maybe yours might have the same problem.

Do you hear the noise more clear when the windows are closed and the top is up?

Yes, that is exactly when I hear it more. It is also definitely coming from the passenger rear side of the car.

We have the same car color and maybe the same suspension problem also hehe... Mine comes from both sides but right rear is louder.

I am trying to get the used car dealer to pay for the parts. Hopefully I get to change them out in 2weeks.

What a coincidence!! :D My car is still under warranty until Aug 26, so I wish I new exactly what it was so I can tell the dealer what to check and fix before it expires. I want to take it in again, but I don't know what to ask him to check so he can find the source. The car is running awesome except for this freakin' problem. Well if anybody can shed some light it would be great! Thanks,

What a coincidence!! :D My car is still under warranty until Aug 26, so I wish I new exactly what it was so I can tell the dealer what to check and fix before it expires. I want to take it in again, but I don't know what to ask him to check so he can find the source. The car is running awesome except for this freakin' problem. Well if anybody can shed some light it would be great! Thanks,

That is great that your car is still under warranty. If I were you, I would tell them that the noise is still there and request them to check the shock mounts.

They were probably too lazy to check them out last time when you took the car back, because the mounts are kind of "hidden"

I have a 2001 Boxster with 120,000+ miles on it (many more than yours) that I bought used. It had the same clunk at low speeds from the rear wheels (mostly passenger side). Just last month I replaced the rear track arms myself and it fixed the problem.

I also have a slight leak from the rear seal, which I have also heard is common. It's hardly noticeable, but leaves a little gunk at the bottom of the engine and a few spots on the driveway. It's a somewhat expensive repair (they have to lift out the transmission I think) so I haven't gotten around to it yet. I've heard it's a good idea to replace the clutch at the same time, since they are already working in that area. I'm waiting until the clutch goes bad to fix the rear seal.

Also, keep an eye on the plastic rear window. I replaced that when I bought it because of bad UV damage. I think this looks interesting...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...mp;hl=glass+top

I have a 2001 Boxster with 120,000+ miles on it (many more than yours) that I bought used. It had the same clunk at low speeds from the rear wheels (mostly passenger side). Just last month I replaced the rear track arms myself and it fixed the problem.

I also have a slight leak from the rear seal, which I have also heard is common. It's hardly noticeable, but leaves a little gunk at the bottom of the engine and a few spots on the driveway. It's a somewhat expensive repair (they have to lift out the transmission I think) so I haven't gotten around to it yet. I've heard it's a good idea to replace the clutch at the same time, since they are already working in that area. I'm waiting until the clutch goes bad to fix the rear seal.

Also, keep an eye on the plastic rear window. I replaced that when I bought it because of bad UV damage. I think this looks interesting...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...mp;hl=glass+top

Thanks for the information, sir!

I plan to replace the rear main seal and other stuff @ 60k miles.

I was studying your rear glass thread last week. Very interesting!

Hi, this is my first posting. I also have a klunking sound at low speed at the rear right mostly when hitting a sharp edged small bump at about 10 to 20 MPH. At speeds higher than this there seems to be no noticable noise. The car is a 2003 Boxster S with 32k Miles. Any suggestions??