Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Interior lights issue

I recently purchased a 2002 996 cabriolet and have an odd problem. The interior lights (reading lights, door lights, trunk light etc.) only function when the key is in the ignition and turn to the starting position. At this point if I close the door the lights fade out as expected and when I open the door, voila. However, if I take the key out and try to use the reading light...no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I think Izzy is suggesting that the alarm system, which controls the interior lights, may be in energy-saving "transit" mode. If, as he suggests, the interior lights do not come on when you unlock the car with the remote, then this is likely to be the problem. Unfortunately, you need a PST2 and go through the handover programming routine to set the alarm system to normal mode.

I think Izzy is suggesting that the alarm system, which controls the interior lights, may be in energy-saving "transit" mode. If, as he suggests, the interior lights do not come on when you unlock the car with the remote, then this is likely to be the problem. Unfortunately, you need a PST2 and go through the handover programming routine to set the alarm system to normal mode.

Thanks to the both of you for the input! The lights do not turn on when I use the remote. I have the car in for service and will suggest correction via PST2.

Kim & Mike

Good deal. While you are at it, ask for other functions they can program, like automatic locking of doors after the car is moving, etc. Dealer would have a list of any other available customer preferences you can change or customize.

• Moderators

Already covered, but the car is still in the transit mode, after all these years.

About 2 months ago a local owner bought a 2001 Boxster and had the same issue with the lights. With a PST2 I put it in the handover mode, and all the lights then worked.

What I do not get is how this step was missed during PDI when the car came off the truck, but it happens.

First, I am new to the RennTech forum and am amazed at the responsiveness and depth of knowledge! Thanks for all the info...here is where things stand:

- after getting the info from Izzy and Richard I called the Porsche dealer and the tech found that the alarm had not been coded and once done they said the lights work. Way to go on identifying the exact issue :-) !!!!

- Izzy, thanks for the tip on the auto door lock! They are doing that as well.

Thanks again, I hope I am able to return the favor with some gem of wisdom as I become more familiar with our new toy.

Kimike:

There are many of us on this forum who have save literally thousands of dollars by virtue of the suggestions, know-how, and input from other members or Loren. Other than maybe periodically providing some input to someone on a problem, the best way I've found to return the favor is thru a small contribution to RennTech to help keep this forum running. A contribution will also give you access to areas that you can't get to otherwise. Although it's not a requirement, I think that it's an excellent value for the money, and certainly supports a worthy cause.

chuck