Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Turn signal stalk problem

I searched the forums but couldn't find anything on this one...

Yesterday I noticed that when I initiate the left turn signal, the stalk has a weird 'rubbery' feel (no nice click) - pushing the stalk the other way for the right signal feels fine. Also, for either direction, the stalk does not cancel itself when you turn the wheel like it used to.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Likely that the cancel pegs inside the stalk are broken off from a previous owner who held down the stalk in a left or right position while it was attempting to cancel thus snapping the plastic pegs which trigger the cancel.

Thanks!

Would that explain the left signal behaving as I explained in the post?

Also, how difficult is it to replace the stalk?

I would say yes that would explain it. Its not hard but you need some torx screwdrivers to remove the horn pad, then remove the steering wheel.... Do a search for DIY OBC hack and you'll find directions on removing the entire stalk assembly, This is the perfect opportunity to upgrade to the 4 stalk setup with the On Board Computer features on the dash if you currently have the 3 stalk (turn signal, Wiper, Cruise Control)

Also, how difficult is it to replace the stalk?

Same thing happened to me except I broke the pegs myself when I held down the stalk when it tried to cancel. You can't just replace the stalk. You need to replace the entire assembly. As what CJ_Boxster has mentioned which is what I did, it's the perfect time to replace your current 3 stalk assembly with a 4 stalk unit, adding cruise control in the process. And you know what? The 4 stalk unit is cheaper than the 3 stalks one! It's not plug and play though to get the cruise control. There's some wiring that needs to be DIYed and you can find it from the sticky thread in this forum.

Good luck!