Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

replace water pump and now overheating

my water pump was leaking so i changed it and now my car overheats and and i dont get any heat in the car

i thought it was my thermostat but i tested it and it seems to open when it gets hot so i dont think its the thermostat

anybody have any ideas

Air lock.

Did you raise the bleed valve when you refilled with water?

Underneath the plastic bottom cover where the oil and water caps are is a valve.

Take the caps off, lift the plastic base out and put the oil cap back on, the valve is a piece of metal that you simply pull from its rest position to the opposite side - this lifts the valve, now with everything like this start the engine, do not put the water cap back on, let the engine tickover, water will be pushed around and this will shift the air up via the valve.

When the engine reaches normal running temperature the thermostat will open and this will send a gush of water around the system, the trapped air will also move as it now has somewhere to go, leave it ticking over for another 5 minutes or so, water will gurgle up by the valve and as the air comes out and water repalces the hole you will need to top up the water.

When no more water is needed the system will be bled. From the thermostat opening to the job done will be about 10 minutes.

Your heater will then work.

The overheating is the trapped air, the pocket allows steam as water boils at 100degrees, the rad cap introduces pressure to the system and every pound of pressure raises the boiling point of water by 2 degrees.

All your problems will be fixed by bleeding

Do both front radiators get warm?

I DONT THINK SO,FROM WHAT MY MECHANIC TOLD ME

PLEASE I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP ASAP

I NEED MY CAR

NO THE RADIATORS ARE NOT GET HOT

The radiators wont get hot because of the air lock - do the bleed - it will all be OK

Oh yes - take your caps lock off (the keyboard)- the type is shouting

I NEED MY CAR

The radiators wont get hot because of the air lock - do the bleed - it will all be OK

but my mechanic did the bleed and still not working

I NEED MY CAR

but my mechanic did the bleed and still not working

Not done it right then, did he access the bleed valve- not many know it is there.

I assume of course that he did refit the polyrib belt so the water pump has a drive

my water pump was leaking so i changed it and now my car overheats and and i dont get any heat in the car

i thought it was my thermostat but i tested it and it seems to open when it gets hot so i dont think its the thermostat

anybody have any ideas

Air lock.

Underneath the plastic bottom cover where the oil and water caps are is a valve.

Take the caps off, lift the plastic base out and put the oil cap back on, the valve is a piece of metal that you simply pull from its rest position to the opposite side - this lifts the valve, now with everything like this start the engine, do not put the water cap back on, let the engine tickover, water will be pushed around and this will shift the air up via the valve.

When the engine reaches normal running temperature the thermostat will open and this will send a gush of water around the system, the trapped air will also move as it now has somewhere to go, leave it ticking over for another 5 minutes or so, water will gurgle up by the valve and as the air comes out and water repalces the hole you will need to top up the water.

When no more water is needed the system will be bled. From the thermostat opening to the job done will be about 10 minutes.

where exactly is this valve,sorry im trying to figure it out

which plastic bottom cover?

The overheating is the trapped air, the pocket allows steam as water boils at 100degrees, the rad cap introduces pressure to the system and every pound of pressure raises the boiling point of water by 2 degrees.

anybody have any ideas

Air lock.

where exactly is this valve,sorry im trying to figure it out

which plastic bottom cover?

In the boot of the car - you may call it the rear trunk? on the right hand side is the dipstick, the oil cap and the water cap, underneath this is what looks like the bottom of the enclosure - Its not- Its a piece of plastic.

Take off the two caps and with a screwdriver just lift an edge, the whole plate lifts up, it has no fixing, under this is the valve