Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Kluster

• Moderators

The white dial kit Ray bought had a tool to lift the needles off. Nothing special - just a bent piece of metal.

kluster7.jpg

kluster20.jpg

I should add that my local dealer takes the position that if the cluster is opened then the warranty on the cluster is over.

Edited by Tool Pants

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On the 986 the mileage number is stored in the cluster.

Tool pants - help - I removed my cluster - painted the gauge bezels - and re-installed. The bulb for the odometer was loose and fell into the dash - so I got a new one - but the odometer display won't work. The speedo sweeps accurately, the cruise control lights up, and the Odometer does record mileage - if you look at it at the right angle you can see the numbers - but It just wont light up - I have tried 2 different bulbs (12v 1.5 watt - volkswagen - same as porsche's)

Any suggestions

• Moderators

Each of the 3 LCD displays has a light bulb behind it. If you cannot see a display it is usually because the bulb for that display has burned out. But you say you replaced the bulb.

Did you replace the correct bulb. The bulb comes in a plastic holder as a single part, you cannot remove the bulb from the holder. The holder is tan. There are 3 of these on the back of the cluster. 1.5 watts is correct. Is the holder making good electrical contact with the circuit board.

post-4-1113509032_thumb.jpg

Each of the 3 LCD displays has a light bulb behind it.  If you cannot see a display it is usually because the bulb for that display has burned out.  But you say you replaced the bulb.

Did you replace the correct bulb.  The bulb comes in a plastic holder as a single part, you cannot remove the bulb from the holder.  The holder is tan.  There are 3 of these on the back of the cluster. 1.5 watts is correct.  Is the holder making good electrical contact with the circuit board.

All fixed - thank you - I had put a bulb in an empty spot - no wonder

• 3 weeks later...

Dear ToolPants,

Could you please guide me on to how to remove the cluster in order to change this same exact bulb, or if you have already explained on how to remove it please show me the link on to where it is.

Thanks, Leoxster

Each of the 3 LCD displays has a light bulb behind it.  If you cannot see a display it is usually because the bulb for that display has burned out.  But you say you replaced the bulb.

Did you replace the correct bulb.  The bulb comes in a plastic holder as a single part, you cannot remove the bulb from the holder.  The holder is tan.  There are 3 of these on the back of the cluster. 1.5 watts is correct.  Is the holder making good electrical contact with the circuit board.

• Moderators

First, how to remove a cluster is all over the net. You remove a torx screw behind the dummy cell phone grill and behind the hazard button, then pull the cluster off the dash.

Second, a 2001 - 2004 986 cluster will not work on a 1997-2000 986. The cluster changed in 2001 and this new style cluster will not work on the prior year cars - you cannot even plug it in because the connectors are very different.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

In the link the cluster pod is still connected to the car via the hazard switch wiring harness. Hard to take a cluster apart that way.

That is not the way we do it. We remove the cluster from the car and then work on it on a bench.

post-4-1118204714_thumb.jpg

Take Jeff's advice seriously and remove the harness.

Otherwise you may get some ugly dents.

Here's how;

Firstly, push 2 tabs inward and pull out the white housing.

Secondly remove the harness on the other side.

Save your expensive dashboard with 2 mintes work.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I removed the cluster to replace the halogen bulbs with blue leds. I have replaced the two large ones and five small, including the mileage, speedo, and clock. It looks nice but...

Having put it all back together, the inidcators don't work when I turn the stalk.

I know the bulbs work as when I switch the hazards on nothing happens, until I turn the stalk either way, then the hazards work (and by this I mean the green arrow lights in the cluster, and the actual indicators themselves.

Any ideas?

Hi,

I removed the cluster to replace the halogen bulbs with blue leds. I have replaced the two large ones and five small, including the mileage, speedo, and clock. It looks nice but...

Having put it all back together, the inidcators don't work when I turn the stalk.

I know the bulbs work as when I switch the hazards on nothing happens, until I turn the stalk either way, then the hazards work (and by this I mean the green arrow lights in the cluster, and the actual indicators themselves.

Any ideas?

Did you replace the indicator bulbs with LED's?