Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Radio ticks/clicks when car unlocked

Hi, I have a minor fault on my 2004 Boxster. When unlocking the car door (with the remote), the interior lights come on inside the car as normal, but sometimes a rapid clicking sound (like a relay firing), comes from the radio. It doesn't happen always (maybe 50% of the time), and usually stops after 3-5 seconds. Is this something to worry about? If so, is it easily fixed? Thanks.

I have the same ticking noise from the radio in my 03 996tt. Car does it 50% of the time. Should not be related to remotes since they were replaced a couple of months ago. Car battery was also replaced. Its annoying not to know what causes it...

I thought it was just me! I leave my car unlocked in the garage, and when i open the door, it starts ticking. I figured it was the sensor on the infrared letting me know that i was about to get zonked or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Were any of you able to figure out what caused the clicking?

I'm having this same problem on my 04 Boxster S (w/Bose, if that makes a difference)- I can't tell if it's coming from the radio or inside the dash on the passenger side, but it seems to coincide with opening the door and select components "waking up". This morning when I went to leave, the radio simply said "STOP" and was unresponsive to any buttons (radio or CD) until I hit eject, which thankfully worked. Then it all worked fine again.

My battery is 4 years old and only holding at 12.36V. I haven't had any issues starting it, but could low voltage be causing this?

Edited by grover

Happens to me too on my 04 C4S - I took out my Nav Disc and the sound changed to even noiser the next time it happen so I am convinced it is something to do with the CD.

I have not suffered any degrodation in the PCM performance as of yet and the noise has been happening for at least 6 months.

RB

I just noticed on reading the posts again - am I the only one with PCM that this happens to?

Edited by ronbonner

It only seems to happen when there is a CD in the drive and the car is turned off while the CD is playing. When I unlock the car and open the door, there's a slight pause, then click click click click click click click click click click click click.

I tried it again just now, and the clicks were abbreviated, and then I could hear the CD spinning up properly. Not sure why, though- there was no sound and no lights on the CD player, just the odometer, etc, on the dash, and the interior lights. Battery was 12.45V today.

Edited by grover

• 2 weeks later...

The clicks are getting worse and worse now, and it's not just happening when the car is turned on, but sometimes when I push the CD button to start playing a disk, and once when I tried to eject it. It invariably says "STOP" on the player and freezes up. I hope the CD player isn't dying... At the moment, it still otherwise appears to work.

Edited by grover

• 2 months later...
The CD player is defective, there are some options anyway: OPC - new or rebuild unit. Harmann-Becker - repair.
It's the CD player integrated into the stock (2004) CDR23 radio :( As a follow-up, it ticks regardless of whether there is a CD in the drive or not. Severity varies, but it *usually* works if I eject the CD and reload it once or twice. I'm not sure how much longer that'll last before it stops working completely, though.

If it truely is defective, will Porsche fix/replace it for free, even though it's out of warranty? If not, how much might I expect it to cost, and is this something I can DIY on an 04, or something I'd need specialized dealer equipment for?

...I don't suppose any mp3-capable aftermarket radios are on the market yet, are there?

Edited by grover

• Moderators

The warranty period is two years, you can remove and replace the unit as DIY, i don't no what your knowledge is with radio/CD units to repair them. The costs are different Europe/US, try to find a US price list.

mine (CDR-23) has been doing the same thing. Wondering if it is worth pulling and sending to Becker, who wouldn't give me a price to fix eventhought this sounds like a common problem, or just going with something else. Anyone send their's in to get fixed, and what did it cost?

It is an easy DIY, takes about 1 HR.

MP3 compatible unit has been around & old story now.

Mine supports MP4,USB,SD card,DVD,DiVX,,,

I got all excited until I realized you have a 2001. AFAIK, there's no aftermarket radios possible for MOST yet. At least without requiring ridiculously expensive fiber optic converters :(

I'm an electrical engineer and do as much work my my cars as I can, but I expect any repairs would be a futile effort as I have no way to replace whatever gear is causing the clicking. I would much rather ditch the becker completely and stick in a nice mp3 player if I could...

I could always band-aid it with an FM modulator, but I'll need to get it fixed eventually if I don't want to lose a ton of resale value.

Edited by grover

• Admin
It is an easy DIY, takes about 1 HR.

MP3 compatible unit has been around & old story now.

Mine supports MP4,USB,SD card,DVD,DiVX,,,

I got all excited until I realized you have a 2001. AFAIK, there's no aftermarket radios possible for MOST yet. At least without requiring ridiculously expensive fiber optic converters :(

I'm an electrical engineer and do as much work my my cars as I can, but I expect any repairs would be a futile effort as I have no way to replace whatever gear is causing the clicking. I would much rather ditch the becker completely and stick in a nice mp3 player if I could...

I could always band-aid it with an FM modulator, but I'll need to get it fixed eventually if I don't want to lose a ton of resale value.

Umm... MOST did not start on the Boxster until MY2003 - so he has the old style wired radio.

• 5 months later...

My 04's radio is clicking worse than ever, so I finally decided to try to get it fixed. Of course, Becker sent me the typical "send it in, THEN we'll tell you how much it costs" email today. Has anyone had their clicking radio repaired? What's it actually take?

Edited by grover

Update: Becker send me a price quote when I asked, and estimated a week to repair. I'm not sure how releasable the quote is, but the estimate for diagnosing and fixing the clicking was comparable in cost to replacing a tire. Cheaper than buying a new radio, I guess. Still hurts!

http://www.beckerautosound.com/shipping%20info/index.htm